This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Post Whoring - random stuff goes here

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

2. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I was in a car in Dili yesterday and there was a pop song on the radio. That's pretty standard. Thing is, it was followed by a Dragonforce song, which seemed to go for about 3 hours. So my question is - why is this normal in some parts of the world, yet you'd never hear a band like that on a Saturday morning in Australia?

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

Back home after a whirlwind fly-in-fly-out visit to Melbourne to attend Vanishing Point's album launch at The Ev last night!

Chris, Silvio and the boys put on a killer performance. A little rusty but they can be forgiven for that as its been a while ;)

Hoping to see them get up here to Brisbane soon!

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yup. That right there.

I remember when I was in Sweden in 2004, driving down the road tuning the radio and there a pop song, followed by a Judas Priest song.

Sucks to live in Australia sometimes.

5. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

[​IMG]

It's been like this for decades. Even driving around New Zealand you hear Iron Maiden on the radio.

The commercial radio programmers, record companies, Coca-Cola and whoever else are pulling the strings for song selection in Aus. are extremely narrow minded.

I do remember when Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and even Queensryche were played on Aus. radio but for some reason it was very short lived and basically around the time their hits were in the charts.

s

6. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Not really, NZ is just as bad. I listened to The Rock for years and rarely ever heard those sorts of great metal bands. Even when they do play them, it's only their biggest hit singles. They had a yearly special where they bothered to play some decent Black Sabbath, as if it's not good enough for the other 364 days of the year. I was impressed when they played a NOFX song once, but I just got sick of sitting through nu-metal and overplayed songs 99% of the time. I should tune it in my car and see if it still bores me.

After that I switched to Hauraki. No metal, but a better playlist oriented more towards older stuff like Cream and Jimi Hendrix, and a different set of newer stuff. Although I think I did hear Judas Priest on there once. They had Alice Cooper hosting a regular show. They had a guy who brought in extremely rare records from his collection and played them which was cool, and if the audience didn't like them they got smashed. Still a bit repetitive otherwise.

Currently I listen to The Sound (formerly Solid Gold). Again, no metal, but probably our best station for serious music fans. They play album versions only, b-sides, live tracks, entire album sides. Lots of Pink Floyd, The Doors, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac etc. Oh, and almost no talking, just music!

7. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

To clarify, I was driving through the countryside and flipping through the stations, not sure what station I picked up. Another time I heard Def Leppard, albeit Pour Some Sugar On Me one of their biggest hits.

He was doing that here in Sydney too, they had his show on syndication but I suspect it was censored or they gave Alice a list of songs to choose from, there were some surprises every now and then but it didn't stray too far from their usual 'late night' playlist.

s

8. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

The USA is doing it right with Sirius XM satellite radio, you can drive across the country without having to retune the radio, they have stations dedicated to eras of Metal but even still, after a few weeks you start noticing some songs are rotated rather frequently so there must be some record co. incentive behind the song selection.

s

9. Winmar

I listened to Sirius stations all the way through the US. There are several varieties, which was excellent. On thing I noted though was that they only played American bands, with a few obvious exceptions like Maiden, Sabbath and lots of Ozzy. European metal didn't get a look in!

On the Australian front, metal is so non-mainstream here it's not funny. If you want to make money out of music here, I'd think most other styles would be more lucrative.

10. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You would've no doubt also heard The Scorpions, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, etc.

In the US many of the modern Euro Metal bands are still very underground and play to small US audiences, same as here, they didn't have US radio hits so they're not radio metal.

s

11. Winmar

12. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Bummer, they were good back in the day!

13. Shadow298

A really young age to go too. :(

14. Winmar

I used realised/remembered that Isaac Hayes died....in 2008. Sorry Isaac. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Hayes

On an unrelated note, I'm listening to the new album from Marty Friedman, Inferno. Rather impressive!

15. Winmar

Hey can anyone recommend some 2.1 speakers for PC use?

16. Shadow298

PC speakers are getting annoyingly difficult to find in stores that used to stock them all the time -like JB or Harvey Norman.

Basically, you want anything by Logitech. They're affordable for the most part & near bullet proof in my opinion.
    I've been using a set of Z4s (with sub woofer) for years now & not a problem.

17. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

^^ what he said. :)

18. Winmar

Ah nice one! I've looked at Logitech ones before, but never made a purchase. I agree though, it does seem harder to find then than it used to be.

19. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I have the z4s on my desk right now and highly recommend them.

20. Winmar

Excellent, I've seen those before. Do they have a headphone outlet?