This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Power/folk/pagan metal racist

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Blackmetalwizard, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Blackmetalwizard

Blackmetalwizard New Metal Member

Just wondering if these genres are known for it.

I listen to a lot of warduna,finntroll,stratovarius,falcolner,eluvitite,ulver.
    I love the music either way but im just wondering.

2. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

A lot of the Eastern European NS black metal comes under the pagan/folk black metal tag. Graveland, Fullmoon, Nokturnal Mortum, Kroda, Temnozor, Gontyna Kry, etc.

Of the ones you mentioned, I only like Ulver and afaik they’re not racist.

Personally, it’s never really bothered me. I don’t agree with their views and listening to their music doesn’t show support for them in any way. Lyrics with vaguely racist undertones are nowhere near as bad as some of the crimes committed by members of non-racist black metal bands anyway.

3. Blackmetalwizard

I agree with what you say.
    I also know Nationalism can be different than actual racist things. Ive noticed some people clump it into a racist category

HadesRagnazrath likes this.
  4. Bloopy

Bloopy Member

Some white supremacist bands hide behind the viking or pagan tags, but the ones I've heard are usually more in the direction of hard rock or punk. But non-racist metal bands with the same themes have talked about having to shake those stereotypes off.

You can usually just look an album up on RYM and see if it has that warning at the top of the page.

5. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey dork quarterer

I don't think any of the bands you mentioned are racist, although I guess you could say Finntroll is racist against humans.

Draehl likes this.
  6. Draehl

Draehl Lurker

Yeah, a lot of it is nationalism or an ancestral pride vibe, which I draw a line between truly racist or nazi type ideology. I can see how some wouldn't see a distinction there, but the defining bit for me is positivity with the former vs. a more "anti" or hateful vibe with the latter.

7. HadesRagnazrath

HadesRagnazrath IHATEGRUNGE

Power metal? Not at all. They are all really fantasy based and don't take the Medieval or Viking stuff really seriously. Folk/pagan bands generally take more serious interest in the culture they sing about but it is usually obvious if they are racist.

Also most racist folk bands tend to be labeled as black metal.

I have a question for you though. Why does it matter? Yes, the opinions of a muscician can have an influence on people, and I've been there with the Nazi shit, but if you enjoy a song, listen to it. Even if you do magically turn in to one of the völk, which you probably wont, what will it even harm?

8. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Commander of your mom

Finntroll is racist against actual good music though so there's that.

9. HadesRagnazrath

They are definately gimmicky but I don't see what is that bad about their music. The couple songs I've heard from them are pretty catchy.

10. Blackmetalwizard

I just like to know overall. I also am engaged to a person of color who loves metal including black metal...shes more about separating the art from the artist.
    I know a lot of people can confuse nationalism or being prideful in ones country as racist when its not normally.
    Lately ive seen a lot of articles coming up regarding folk or black metal as overall just racist which it isnt atleast in my opinion.

11. HadesRagnazrath

The media likes to exaggerate. For example they will refer to Varg Vikernes as a Nazi when really he is just someine who genuinely cares about the welfare of all peoples, he just happens to believe that countries should be based on tribe and not political boundaries. He is a seperatist, but I wouldn't call him a racist.

12. Slayed Necros

:lol:

Nate Skalman likes this.
  13. HadesRagnazrath

I felt the same at first, and yeah he prioritizes Europe, but I don't think he wants Africa to be invaded by Europeans. Not saying that I agree with him, or disagree for that matter because I don't know that much about politics.

14. Omni

Omni The Great Annihilator

Maybe people refer to Varg Vikernes as a Nazi because he has referred to himself as one and stated that he identifies with Nazism in the past. I don't think that he's a Nazi, but he definitely isn't an altruistic person who cares about everyone in the world.