This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PPUSA Day 1 Headliner Announcement! (update 11/16)

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Sep 17, 2015.

1. 70KTonsOfMetal

70KTonsOfMetal Regretting the user name

Did not expect this at all.

I've said this before about Dragonforce - I'm not a fan of their recorded material and will probably never buy a record of theirs (at the same time, I received a copy of their debut album the day it came out from some promo website a long, long time ago, so I've known of them for quite some time) but they're a phenomenal live show.

I'm still thinking of going VIP for both these days.

2. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

Dragonforce. Check and mate. Color me pleased.

3. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

At least we get to see one member of Heavenly...<sigh>
    Not a fan, but congrats!

4. labrekk

labrekk Member

Don't care at all for Dragonforce. What I heard sounded speedy (really speedy!) almost all the time, songs were samey and got old fast. That being said, nice for those who enjoy them. And with all the comments about how great they are live, I'll have to give them a try...

5. ManipulatorGeneral404

Like a couple other people have said, they have enough technical wizardry and stage presence and star power to have me watching their set even if I don't own any Dragonforce albums and consider them a band whose studio albums are fun in small doses.

I was not expecting this band but am pleased nevertheless.

6. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

Love the choice! The only thing that could make this more fun than it already is if they would perform Sonic Firestorm in it's entirety. By the way, I love all of the songs a million miles an hour because no one else was doing it. You couldn't get much more power metal than that.

7. Random Axe

Random Axe Common Sense Man!

I've honestly never heard a note from them, but that partial video was pretty cool. Speedy, yes but I'm guessing in a live setting this will kill, especially a PP stage. I like how the fest announcements are unpredictable.

8. CrimsonEmotions

Interesting choice, and one of the few bands (if not the only one) in this year's lineup that I could purchase some of their music at Best Buy. As others have said, from what I've heard it's not my taste, but I'm willing to give them a shot.

9. adaher

adaher Member

Aw geez, and I was all set to not go this year, and now Dragonforce AND Freedom Call are coming to Atlanta. Makin' me spend money.

10. Finn Mac Cuhal

Finn Mac Cuhal The Lurker in the Dark

Every band does not always float my boat either. Then again, Glenn is not assembling a lineup set for my personal tastes. Generally, even the bands that don't thrill me usually entertain the mess out of me live. I just appreciative Glenn (and also Nathan and Milton) keeping the festival going.

ProgPowerUSA is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get!

As for DragonForce, I love the pick. I saw them open for Kamelot in Birmingham, AL. It was a very entertaining performance. I like their studio stuff as well...very hard not to pump your fists and bang you head while listening to DF. Particularly driving down the road with the music loud! Not too safe, tho.

Hopefully, DF plays a longer show than they have on the Kamelot tour given the PPUSA performance will be as a headliner.

:worship:

11. adaher

adaher Member

And we've got Gloryhammer too. What's gotten into Glenn? Has he finally embraced the tasty gooey goodness of fine cheese/:)

Hopefully there's more coming. Van Canto!!!!

12. Manuel Cedeno

Manuel Cedeno New Metal Member

It's all about embracing diversity. Where else can you see Spock&#8217;s Beard followed by Dragonforce? That's just crazy in a good way. I don't like Dragonforce at all but I am very happy for those guys that are going nuts about it. This is the essence of this festival; it's what keeps it going and growing.

13. Azrael LenGraden

Azrael LenGraden Lake Of Fire

I am not a Dragonforce fan but this statement is spot on!

The diversity at PP is one of it's best characteristics!!:kickass:

14. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I just want to share two videos with everyone. Give it a chance.

This one is for those who think DF is all about speed and boring live:

#554 AngraRULES, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  15. Mynock

Mynock French Toast

While I'm not a huge fan, and wasn't very excited about the announcement, they were fun opening for Kamelot earlier this year, and it will be a good show.

16. Oblivion Ocean

Those videos were not bad, might give them another chance. I had the opposite experience than many here. I went to see them headline at the height of their fame. I would not say I was a huge fan, but I liked some of their stuff enough.

They were terrible live. Their stage persona was pure arrogance, their playing was sloppy and many members seemed pretty intoxicated. All three of of us that went thought they were bad and we ended up leaving about half way through a show (and I never leave shows early).

But who knows, maybe a singer change and a little bit of humility has made them a better band.

17. templeofmax

templeofmax Member

Well, I saw them last friday opening up for Kamelot and gotta say they were not sloppy, and the singer was pretty good. They were a bit arrogant though, but not in a Malmsteen kind of way. They were fun to watch live and their playing was spot on. Kamelot, well, they are in another league...

18. oldboy

oldboy Member

A bit susprised by the general reaction to Dragonforce, with all the backhanded compliments, and deflated comments. Makes me wonder if these are prog fans commenting, or if the Power Metal crowd is becoming elitist too. Wouldn't that be something? Hehe...Never thought I would see the day...

19. rjrousseau

rjrousseau Member

Seeing them tonight in Charlotte with my son. Can't wait!!

20. lane_miller

lane_miller Space Ghost

Here's a prog guy who is happy to see DF on the bill. They can certainly play and I enjoy their music. Congrats to the power heads out there - you guys should be elated. Families are made up of different personalities. Our's is no different. Can we now have a group hug?:loco::saint::kickass: