This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PPUSA XVI free compilation CD

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by KingsGene, Sep 24, 2015.

1. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Any thoughts on this year's edition of the PPUSA XVI free compilation CD that was given out as you walked in? Is there something that was included that made you want to go right out and buy the whole album?

2. Kez

Kez pronounced Keez

I haven't digested it completely, but it has once again taken a step up the ladder of quality songs. Seems to just get better and better every year.

Need to have it in hand to give specific comments, I just remember listening to it on the drive home and thinking "this will NOT be the last time I play this".

3. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Master of Corgis

I bought too many shiny round things in the vendor room.. haven't had the chance to crack open the promo CD yet. Looks like a good lineup, though!

4. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Contrary to popular thought, I don't hear a note of the compilation until after the festival. I haven't made it through the entire thing yet either. I will say that the track from Seven Spires caught my attention.

#4 Harvester, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

It caught my attention as well, but for a different reason. The mix is way too hot and distorted for my ears. That's too bad, cuz the band seems like it would be very good otherwise...

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

This. It is the only band so far that I didn't previously know about that did grab my attention.

7. Kimavir

Kimavir Metal Hippy

I'm still not even halfway through it, but this Arcane band has already caught my eye.

#7 Kimavir, Sep 24, 2015
  8. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

From disc#1

SEVEN SPIRES
    METAL ALLEGIANCE

I haven't made it to discs 2 &3 yet. Progress has been slow on the listening since today is my 1st day off since Atlanta.

9. mattbrood

mattbrood PPUSA Facebook *****

Just as an FYI, I'm friends with the band and they are currently working on their debut album which is being mixed by Sasha Paeth and mastered by Miro Rodenberg, so the album is going to sound amazing compared to the EP

10. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I picked this disc up at the Nightmare table this year. I've been listening to it nonstop since the day after the fest. It's a fantastic album! Highly recommended!

#10 Mooseknuckle, Sep 25, 2015
  11. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

These are the tunes on the first 2 CD's that made me check who they were, i.e. I was interested in looking them up.

Disc 1:
    Seven Spires
    Burning Point
    Neal Schon
    Lords of the Trident
    Arcane
    Odin's Court
    A Sound Of Thunder

Disc 2:
    Constantine
    Jaded Star
    The Evenfall
    Kindler
    21Octayne

12. ManipulatorGeneral404

I was very impressed with The Evenfall. I've been listening to it since it came out (very early in January) and these guys have a lot of talent and originality. Slightly less heavy than Remedy Lane-era Pain of Salvation with a somewhat similar sound, and the prog rock bits are strongly Genesis influenced. They even got an ad in the PPUSA booklet.

13. Metal66

Metal66 Member

I loved Seven Spiers Viathyn and Ibridoma but Ive only listened to the first disc so far

14. templeofmax

templeofmax Member

You did not know Neal Schon????:yell::yell:

15. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

I'm going to assume Scott (KingsGene) just misspoke. If not, I may have to consider revoking his old man melodic rock fan card. He probably meant, "Holy shit, I didn't know Neal Schon was releasing solo material!"

Personally, I never grabbed a bag this year and so didn't get the sampler. Also, without a bag, not only did I miss the sampler, but people kept stealing my seat! :Spin:

Ken

16. Diamond45

Diamond45 Terminate Bad Music

I bought the CD earlier this year online. LOVE IT! I saw that Lance was selling it and recommended it to my friends who were there with me when I was buying other CDs.

17. templeofmax

templeofmax Member

That is why you should bring something to leave on the seat. Contrary to some here, I do believe that leaving something just so you can come and go for autographs and food, should not be frowned upon. Leaving it there eternally, yes, but just for a bit should not be an issue. And yes, KingsGene should know better ;)- :hotjump::hotjump:

18. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Uh, yes.... I know who he is. As I stated... these were songs "that made me check who they were".

More like..."Holy shit, I didn't expect Neal Schon to be on the PPUSA compilation disc". So, I'm keeping my old man melodic rock fan card, thank you very much. :loco:

19. Tess

Tess Member

Hey everyone - just spreading the word!

I have seen a few people mention that they do not have a CD sampler and/or program for one reason or another.
    I have some left over and I am happy to mail them out, if anyone needs. You'll just need to paypal me ~$6 to cover the priority mail shipping within the US. {If you're outside of the US, contact me and I'll let you know how much it will cost.} If you're interested, just send me a PM with your address and I'll reply with my paypal. You can message me here or send me an e-mail: progpowerusaweb at gmail