This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Preamp tube suggestions

Discussion in 'Backline' started by TheUnknown, Sep 11, 2013.

1. TheUnknown

TheUnknown Member

I need to replace a preamp tube in my head, seems one of them is microphonic. I haven't purchased preamp tubes in about 10 years so I've no idea whats good these days. This will be for v1 in a Splawn quickrod. I use to buy my tubes from TheTubestore but I notice you can pick up pretty much all the same tubes at Amazon now a days, since I have a bunch of Amazon points I figured I would just purchased from there...any reason not to?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. mharwood

mharwood Member

I've bought both preamp and poweramp tubes from Doug's Tubes on a number of occasions for my Mark IV and Peavey JSX, and have always been very happy with his recommendations and the quality of the tubes I have received. For preamp tubes in both my Mark IV and JSX, I've had good results mixing Tung Sols, Mullard Re-issues, and JJ's. I try to avoid JJ's in V1 since they seem to be a little darker than I like, but I've had great success with them in the other positions. I haven't tried any NOS options since I'm short on cash, but I've heard from many that NOS RFT's are good for hard rock and metal if you can get a hold of them. Personally I've been pretty satisfied with the cheap stuff, so I've haven't had much incentive to fork over the cash for NOS.

3. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

+1 to Doug's Tubes. I got the "Tone Kit" or whatever in my Mark IV and love it. Forget exactly what they were, there was a Tung, a JJ, Sovtek and something else.

4. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

Three factories in the world make all of the worlds tubes. Don't fall for the hype!!

5. TheUnknown

TheUnknown Member

Yeah I'm completely aware of this.
    years back when I had a dual rec I went through an NOS tube phase trying everything under the sun just wanting to try things but since getting the Splawn and being completely satisfied with the tones never had a concern with tubes for about the last 10 years. which brings me to why I posted this. I have no idea what current production stuff is worth a damn. I called Splaw for a recommendation and was told that they now use their own branded tubes of some sort, didn't really get the full undunderstanding but i guess somebody makes them thete own tubes I guess, is what I understood from the conversation. Anyway there not in stock and they only sold in sets which cost $50 plus shipping which I'm not really looking to do. I think I'm going to try the Tung Sol.

Thanks for the input.

6. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

They most likely get tubes made from one of the main factories, test them, then paint their own logo on them. Like Mesa.

7. JakeAC5253

JakeAC5253 Frozen Sun Audio

I like a JJ HG+ in V1 :)