This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ProgPower USA XII Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by AngraRULES, Sep 11, 2010.

1. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

:lol:

Especially given Glenn's last comment, let's at least wait to see who's performing Wednesday and Thursday. Then, if you still want me to take your money, I'll gladly do so. :D

2. Metalmilitia2000

Metalmilitia2000 UM's Resident Asshole

I want in on this too, I could use a nice payday.

3. adaher

adaher Member

I don't think Thursday or Wednesday will have much of an effect on overall ticket sales.

What I do think is huge is roster changes and with the roster now made a year out, there are always changes.

4. adaher

adaher Member

I want in on this too, I could use a nice payday.

Why don't we ask Intrade to set up a future to buy?

5. Metalmilitia2000

I don't think Wednesday or Thursday will have much of an effect either, because I think the main event will sell out before those even can go on sale to help... :cool:

6. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Clearly it depends on the individual. However, I think a big time announcement for Thursday can change a person's perspective (on the main line up) from glass half empty to glass half full. I think either a pure Prog & Power combo like Vanden Plas and Sabaton would push a lot of maybes to yes. I also think back to back Nevermore / Sactuary performances would bring Nevermore fans out of the woodwork, from far and wide. I can already tell you two of my friends who have never been to PP are considering going for Sanctuary.

Very, very true.

Two more things to consider...

One... I think this forum becomes less and less representative of the actual festival audience with each passing year. While new people eventually find the forum and assimilate to the etiquette that's been established, the face of the attendees is changing. I noted more than once this past weekend, how many new people seemed to be in attendance.

Two... the type of fan who comes one year because of a band Tyr, may be back the following year simply because they had a blast that first time they came. Consequently, I think these oddball selections have a lasting effect and create a wider and wider net each year.

7. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

I bet there was close to 300 people this year who never had been to ProgPower before.

8. adaher

adaher Member

One... I think this forum becomes less and less representative of the actual festival audience with each passing year.

Oh, I agree with that, but I'm one individual who is pretty representative. I've been to 5, 6, 8, and 11. I skipped 7,9,10. Ignore that pattern at your peril.:)

9. Tenaris

Tenaris Member

This sounds right. Epica alone drew me to ProgPower for the first time; not particularly an oddball, but not a typical prog or power band, either. I also enjoyed several of the other bands that year, especially Freak Kitchen. Since then, one thing I always look forward to every year now is getting to see who next year's oddball will be.

10. War Ensemble

War Ensemble Enos, You Dipstick!

I have a few friends that wouldn't have ever considered going to the festival in the past. They are now interested due to Sanctuary, Arcturus, & Therion. So much so, that they are asking me more about the festival, hotel, travel, etc... Things they wouldn't have inquired about before.

11. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Zod: I don't remember Vanden Plas's announcement for the pre-show having much of an impact on that year's main show ticket sales (based on when it was announced, and the changes to the # of main show tickets purchased). It also seems like a nearly sold out Helloween-Gamma Ray show didn't help to sell out a ProgPower show.

Maybe this year it will be different in how they've planned it. But the problem will be that if shane's show sells out its because of locals buying the ticket, and they won't necessarily want to buy the higher priced main show ticket because they don't have to (unless it also makes them want to come). People travelling in all know that to go to the pre-show means the ticket price + possibly an extra hotel night. I'm sure there are some people who will decide that it makes it worthwhile to travel in for the main show due to the combination of it and the pre-show, but I'm not sure how much of an impact this can have.

12. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

The pre-show Helloween/Gamma Ray announcement was made before the festival even went on sale.

13. ICEDEARTHFAN

ICEDEARTHFAN IN MEMORY.....

Brent that's top notch optimism right there!!!!!!!! Keep it coming brother!!!!!!!

14. Metalmilitia2000

I really think people are underestimating the drawing power of this lineup next year. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't sell out.

15. adaher

adaher Member

My predictions are hedged on the premise that Glenn can't create a new audience in just one year. The current fanbase wasn't created in a year, or even two. But who knows, maybe enough of the regulars plus a bunch of new fans who never wanted to come in the past will make it a sellout.

It's not a crazy thing to attempt, given that it's impossible for Glenn to alienate his fans merely by booking shows they don't want to see. I'll keep on coming as long as I like the lineup, I don't take it personally when Glenn doesn't book my favorite band. He's earned too much respect for anyone to abandon the fest just because they don't like one, or even two lineups.

Besides, it'll save me money. Glenn keeps on forcing me to spend money I can't afford to spend. I need a break once in awhile to buy some furniture or something. My bed is still on the ground and I don't have cable TV. :lol:

16. ICEDEARTHFAN

ICEDEARTHFAN IN MEMORY.....

I agree and I really hope people took the oppurtunity to get some business cards to promote for next year.I'm going to Slayer+Megadeth+Anthrax on October 1st in Atlanta and I'm giving out some there.Also going to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in Birmingham in December,expect to get some people interested from that show.I'm sure I'll go to more shows as we get closer to next year and I'll be advertising as much as possible.I'm already jamming to Red Circuit daily since Sunday.Can't wait for next year!!!!

17. Justin G

Justin G Member

I need to have that quote printed on a t-shirt. The ironic thing is that next year's lineup has plenty of "typical" bands that ought to keep people happy. What, Mob Rules and Dream Evil aren't power enough? Labyrinth? Eldritch?

This is the most exciting lineup I've seen in years.

18. Rick Pierpont

Rick Pierpont Odin's Court Guitar

You're welcome! That's awesome, I have no doubt that it would be exciting to get that offer. LOL!!! Yeah, definitely WAY more than 40, the venue is MUCH nicer. Hell, everything about it is nicer! I look forward to meeting and working with you and your band.

19. Creeps

Creeps Member

I always wondered about editing something on Wikipedia, so I added something to Sanctuary's page about them playing ProgPower with a link to the PP site in the references section. No big deal really, but since I was able to just edit it, I can see why college professors won't accept Wiki articles as references. I could have said they were playing my poker night next month.

20. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

You may just be wording this strangely but Helloween/Gamma Ray did sell out. As did that year's Progpower. I also know that had it not been for that show I most likely wouldn't have gone to the fest.

You sure about this? I remember thinking whether or not I was gonna go, declined. Then when the Hellish Rock Tour was announced/on sale I bought tickets to all three. It could very well be that I was misinformed at that time, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It also could've been a case where they announced Hellish Rock before tickets went on sale but Hellish Rock went on sale after the main fest did.

Next year's lineup is diverse, but I don't know where you're getting the idea that Glenn needs to build a new fanbase in one year? I know you don't like the headliners, but I find that most of the lineup outside of Sanctuary, When Heaven Wept and Arcturus would've been choices any other year. How are bands like Dream Evil, Mob Rules, Eldrich, Labyrinth, etc. not fit in with prog or power? In terms of Therion, they played before and from what I hear were popular when they played. They also have a pretty good following, despite what you may think.

Also, considering what some people are saying, that there were A LOT of new people who attended this year, not to mention a number of people returning from past years, I don't see how he's rebuilding the audience. If anything, he'll bring in people who had their first progpower last year who enjoyed their time as well as people who will come for the first time because of Arcturus.