This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Quadtracking.

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Emdprodukt, Mar 16, 2011.

1. JoergieN

JoergieN Member

Thanks for the tips man. I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to experiment with anything lately. Finally have some time tomorrow night so I will try all this out.

2. MarkG

MarkG Member

I used to quad track, but lately I don't find it worth it.

- twice the takes, 4x the time
    - smoother tone due to gain stacking (for me anyway)
    - when using exact same gear, minimal difference

For certain heavy sounds its pretty much required, but generally double tracking is plenty imo.

3. arv_foh

arv_foh Brian K

Has anyone ever tried to use vocalign to tighten quad tracked DI tracks? Sorry for the semi OT but I'm just curious

4. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

Yeah, it works on DI's...not so much on mic'd tracks.

5. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

Slip edit DI tracks, that is a great way to do it

6. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ...might be drunk.

I try to never edit guitars beyond fixing any obvious screw ups, that I somehow missed while they were tracking. Otherwise they do take after take until it's right.

7. Damage, Inc.

Damage, Inc. Member

The hive of scum and villainy known as Clinton, IA
    +1. I'm not into clownfucking parts together until I create something that almost works from shitty tracks. If the guy can't double himself tightly enough to get a worthwhile track, then it just won't work, period. I HAVE been known to secretly replace certain parts myself...

8. striked01

striked01 Member

i love quadtracking! Adam D. styled quadtracking, like on the parkway albums = awesome!

9. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ...might be drunk.

Yep. I've had to do it. Not cool, but I've only done it when I felt like their takes just weren't usable.

10. musickey

musickey djenital moosic

11. Mm1066

Mm1066 Mediocre metal maker

Sorry for bumping, but the Parkway albums were quadtracked? Can't really hear it myself. Where did you get the info?

12. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder The Truth Is Out There

What's that?

13. DocSauerkraut

DocSauerkraut Member

Two alternative procedures i frequently use to fatten guitar sounds:

- Record two guitar tracks (Left, Right) and create for each a FX track with a delay inserted. Choose a very short delay time (~10 ms, only wet signal!) and pan the FX-tracks to a different location (e.g.: Guitar 1 L85, FX1 L75; Guitar 2 R85, FX2 R75).

-- When using Preamp-Simulations and impulses: Create two audio tracks (A1,A2), insert a different preamp in each and pan these hard left and right. Record 1st Guitar to these two channels.
    Then record a second guitar following the same procedure (two audio tracks, different preamps etc.) but this time REVERSE the panning.
    E.g.: 1st guitar: Tack 1, preamp 1, hard left / Track 2, preamp 2, hard right
    2nd guitar: Track 1, preamp 1, hard right / Track 2, preamp 2, hard left

It's a good idea to choose two preamps with different cound characteristics, e.g. one with more low end, the other with more mids and to mix your desired guitar sound using the mixer's faders.

Cheers!

14. striked01

striked01 Member

i forget where i heard that, i may be wrong.

Maamar Huq, i didnt mean he did it any differently, i just love the tone he gets from it. Wrong choice of words, sorry.

15. nwright

nwright Member

Of what benefit is this versus just setting up a new head and recording that?

Slaving amps means to send one amps preamp into another amps power section.

If you have a master amp (amp A) and record it and then slave it into the slave amp (amp B), you are still tracking amp A's preamp (but getting the tonal imprint of amp B's power amp only).

Why would this be preferable over just setting up 2 amps and recording them seperately, so Amp A's pre and power amp are captured as are amp B's pre and power amp captured.

If you take your idea of changing the tone controls of the amp when slaving, then that would all be preamp changes only, unless the power amps used vary greatly in their tonal imprint...Which I would curious as to how different the amps would sound through different power sections, really. IMO with most high gain amps, they run 6L6's or EL34's and get their voicing more from preamps...So to me slaving would serve to provide LESS of a difference than just running the 2 amps on their own and miking each.

All that said, in my experience, reamping 1 performance through 2 amps doesn't get anywhere near quadtrack territory and at times presents it's own set of problems.

For me, I like quad tracking using a single mic...If I'm doing a dual mic setup (a la Fredman technique), I like dual tracking.

For metal, IMHO, I don't really like any of the results I've gotten dual a L-C-R rhythm guitar bed. the center guitar makes the spread seem smaller and clouds the center mix too much for fast, heavy music. And it's unnecessary in the mix altogether if you have to lower the volume enough to keep it from clouding things up, IME.

for me and quad tracking with harmony rhythm lines, I usually do it like this:

Guitar A - 100L
    Guitar B (playing harmony) - 100L lower in volume by 3dB
    Guitar A2 (playing same riff as Guit A) - 100R lower in volume by 3dB
    Guitar B2 (playing the same harmony as Guit B) - 100R

this keeps things symmetrical, but allows each side to have a more dominating root or harmony.

16. kvoid

kvoid Member

Isn't that the old school Haas effect?

17. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

^^You're over thinking it on the slaving bit. It gives a single guitar track multiple textures from the same amp so you get a huge, thick, more harmonically complex tone than you would from a single amp/cab setup, but without having to worry much about the tones working will together. The point is to get less of a difference from two sources.

18. Nick M

Nick M Chuck Norris is my uncle

Quad track unless the band can't handle it.

19. nwright

nwright Member

Ah, but then to me that seems like the extra work wouldn't be worth it (but I've never done it and recorded the results, so I can't say). Knowing what both of my amps sound like slaved through each other, I wouldn't see the point, personally. The issue I HAVE had with using 1 performance through 2 different amps was a phasing issue from using the same DI (lasse has also pointed this phenomenon out as well). I got around it, but it presented it's own set of headaches at first...And, extrapolating on that and adding it to the slaving idea...it seems like the risk for phase issues in slaving would still be there.

I'll have to try it sometime, though.

20. locus_coeruleus

I don't think I understand, are you reamping and amped track??