This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Question about using an external preamp

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Vaggelis_Revolted, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Vaggelis_Revolted

Vaggelis_Revolted Guitarist / Novice A.E.

Hello! I want to use my GAP PRE73 to record the bass guitar for our full length, because i really like the coloration for that kind of use.

Problem is we are currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 USB Audio Interface, which has a preamp stage on both inputs, so i suppose a preamp going to another preamp is not a good thing!

Is it possible to connect these 2 devices?

2. nervirasme

nervirasme Dismember

As with most other interfaces (and here's the actual quote from Scarlett 2i2 Manual):
    "Scarlett 2i2 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug."
    So, to dumb it down - plug the bass into GAP, then spread the cable from GAP to Scarlett (on GAP it doesn't matter whether you use XLR or TRS jack, but the end that goes to Scarlett MUST be a TRS jack), and that's about it, this way preamp on the Scarlett won't be engaged.

Cheerz

3. Vaggelis_Revolted

Thank you so much! Unfortunately my Scarlett came without an in-depth manual, so that is why i need to make it clear!

To dumb it down even more, my focusrite has a Line/Inst switch. I select the LINE option, and make sure i use a guitar jack. So i have to use a balanced cable by the way?

4. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

5. Vaggelis_Revolted

Thanx! Downloaded the manual as well, cheers!