This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Questions for LT

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Sevastian

Sevastian New Metal Member

Since you guys rerecorded Footsteps in the Sand will you also be releasing your old rerecorded version of Against the Wind? :)

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

3. Sevastian

Sevastian New Metal Member

On the Return of the Tyrant EP is that you singing on the Cutting Crew cover LT?

4. Lord Tim

No, that's Andy. I did it on the demo and it sucked - my voice just didn't suit it at all, so we got Andy to have a go and it worked out great. :)

5. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

He's so dreamy while singing it too... ;)

6. BurningCreation

I wanna hear that demo. :)

7. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

LT, do you ever forsee yourself being in a band situation where loose jamming informs a large part of the musical structure of what you write?

or is that just for jazz musicians and potheads?

8. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

also... double post (what a renegade, chickachickahh)

the chorus for same old lines has been stuck in my head since 2007... has it ever struck you as a memorable moment? and was it quite a task recording the vocals for that song, especially the ending?

9. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

*2 cents from Andy*

I don't think there has ever been a LORD song that has been more 'slapped-together-at-the-last-minute' than Same Old Lines haha. I could be wrong though! I do remember being quite amazed at how quickly that song changed from the initial demos to what it ended up being.

10. Lord Tim

Yeah, the initial jam of that was fucking awful. I remember TY laying down some demo vocals and his rough lyrics, and while it was enough to get a sense of where to take it, it was pretty awful. Then I re-wrote the lyrics and sung them... and they were still awful! HAHA!

Eventually we got it into shape, but it did evolve pretty quickly once we started working on it. The end was just more laborious than anything else... just layer after layer. :bah:

A couple of songs came together from jams, like Through The Fire, and the core of Set In Stone, but we definitely all write better when we've had a chance to take the ideas home and really work on them rather than throwing ideas around the room. We tried that for a while in Dungeon and it was fucking terrible, and nothing good got done at all.

11. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

yeah fair enough. i always thought there must have been about 800 vocal tracks on that haha.

i suppose with metal it's probably best to actually 'write' the song and develop it as opposed to someone starting a riff and the band following. i was in a band for the last 3 years that was sort of like a cross between the chili peppers and sabbath, and we improvised a hell of a lot, and while there were some awesome ideas, there weren't many "songs" and it got kinda frustrating.

think that's why i'm doing a sort of Beatles/Syd Barrett type thing now. specificly written songs.

next question: how are your wrists holding up these days? and do you have to play less these days?

12. Lord Tim

That 6 months I took off and Matt took over my guitar duties did wonders. They do still get sore on the odd occasion but nothing like they did before. I do find I'm playing a little differently on the Horizon 27 fret guitar which is my main one now - different contoured neck, different scale, scalloped frets from 12th - it feels a lot more comfortable to me than the Hybrid and M-II did, so between all of those things, it's feeling a lot better.

The main thing I have to look out for these days is not getting sick. When you get older, your voice changes and you need to take care of it a little more than you would when you just take things for granted.

13. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

yeah, glad to hear the wrists are doing ok.
    i found changing guitars helped my writs a lot too, and also changing my practice habits. i don't know if you're a reader of guitar mags, but for years i was practicing portions of the often printed "Steve Vai 10 hour guitar workout", and while it made my fingers quite capable it also did a lot of harm to the wrist of my fretting hand. i did this on my Jackson, with varying string gauges, and also on a horrid epiphone steel string acoustic. most of it is just chromatic excercises, and i think the repitition must have worn down the joints over time.

i'd say it's extremely important for you to look after your voice, especially with your vocal style. we all know what happened to Ozzy haha.

although, i don't know if you've heard this before but apparently the way Ronnie James Dio warmed up before a show was at 15 minutes before stage he drank a beer and smoked half a joint. even into his 60's. hard to believe, i know.

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'll be passing through BH again early next year. Where should I kneel and pay homage? The roller rink (which likely no longer exists, at least the one I went to at Narrabri in the 80s has been closed for decades!)

15. Lord Tim

The roller rink actually still does exist and is still run by the same people, surprisingly! It's likely not going to be open most times you'll go there, but if you want to find it, it's here:

http://goo.gl/maps/36ayj

I guess the other important Dungeon related places would be Broken Hill High School hall where the band more or less formed:

http://goo.gl/maps/vnYj2

and where we played our first show at the Silver City Workingmans Club:

http://goo.gl/maps/c8BkJ

I don't recommend going to ANY of those places though! HAHA! Drop in and say hello to my sister Dianne at the Theatre Royal hotel in the middle of town:

http://goo.gl/maps/Zm5KF

(tell her I think she's stupid and smells and I don't like her) ;)

16. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The BH roller rink used to be a pretty wild place.... in 1927!!!

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16419037

Excellent! Every time I've crossed the Nullarbour we've stopped in BH for lunch, this time we're not trying to do it in under 4 days so I'll have some time for sight seeing.

17. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Hey Tim, just a random question. Can you recall approximately what month the Under The Southern Cross compilation featuring Dungeon was released? (Chatterbox Records, 1999)

18. Lord Tim

Hmmm... That's a good question. Let me look through my email archives for clues :)

19. Lord Tim

First week of December 1999. :)

20. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Tim,

Is Darryl's nickname going to be "The Horses" and is Andy slack for not posting said announcement video here?

:D