This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Quick/beginner/stupid questions go here

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by COBHC Webmaster, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

Such is life :kickass:

2. blooddrunk23

blooddrunk23 lord of Ganking

3. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

Is Stam1na considered as a pop band in Finland or why did they give a concert on a Pop fest? :) As far as I can see, they are a some kind of provocative band.

#1223 NewHewkas, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Wouldn't call them pop by any means. Heavy metal in the vein of Kotiteollisuus and Viikate.

5. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

I think Kotiteollisuus operates within the approach of pop, just uses metal soundworld, they never really cross the level of ruthlessness to be labeled real metal. They're sort of about life's hardships, but not about life's tragedies. Stam1na I've never listened to, but these are among the bands that every lady in their fifties have listened to, you can't really call them metal. Look under the surface. Bodom is way more catchy than any of these 'metal' bands, including Metallica, yet none of these normal people listened to Bodom. Why? Because you can sense underneath the catchiness there's real feelings they don't wanna be associated with in their tragedy-free lives. The other bands here are like 'heyy, let's pretend we're all metal since we found these heavy sounds.'

#1225 (__Joonas__), Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  6. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

I'd call them metal though it's true that they are not all that heavy. Then again IIRC Jouni Hynynen himself has called their music something along the lines of "Pop with distorted guitars". Being Hynynen I doubt he was all that serious when he said it, but it does carry some truth to it perhaps.

7. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

So he said it too. It's not about being heavy, it's the mood and how the songs are made. I just discussed this a day before when someone showed me their new music video, I realized it's full-blown pop underneath the soundworld (which I thought was great btw). It's very approachable by the main listener, the song construction and how everything progresses, very poppy. Also how the lyrics keep a hold of the listener thru the generic formula of verse, verse, chorus, etc, and of course ending with a double chorus the second being pitched up. It's like the soundworld comes from the heart, but it's definitely targeted to the masses. It's like offering a spiced beef to tamed tigers, it's not really a wild feast of metal.

8. NewHewkas

I realized in the first moments of the video that he's Finnish. :p Guys your accent is so hilarious, I love it :D

9. NewHewkas

What does "soumi perkele" mean? Well, I know what is the literally meaning of the phrase. However I would like to know what's the theory behind those words, the feelings, that are involved when a Finnish person says them?

10. tragician

tragician Member

I have only ever seen that phrase in the comment section of a youtube video that mentions Finland somehow. Finns get excited when this country is mentioned abroad even if it's a small thing. So I guess it's just to say "fuck yeah finland!"

11. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Quite accurate I'd say.

12. NewHewkas

I see, thank you fort your interpretation. :)

13. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

Does anyone know what the piece at ~6:00 is? Sounds like Bach or something, but I don't know classical music for shit :kickass:

14. Exedo

Exedo Member

Maybe that helps

15. razor001666

razor001666 been where, done what?

I was wondering that is Alexi still living in LA since they broke up with Kristen Mulderig. He got that Plymouth there etc.

16. tragician

tragician Member

I don't know if he still lives there, I mean he does have a lot of friends in LA and has talked about how it's convenient for work related things. But he now also lives in Australia with Kelli Wright.

#1236 tragician, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  17. IDontKnowWhatToWrite

18. razor002666

razor002666 New Metal Member

My thoughts exactly. ESP etc. -promotion and stuff.

There is this funny thing but they actually have met before. Many years ago. There is this "fan-pic" with Kelli and Alexi. Alexi has a blond hair so its like ten years ago. And Kelli said that Alexi then said to her that "I will find you again" or something like that.

I'm curious to know how they met again. Because if they divorced with Kristen 2015 and Alexi was married to Kelli 2016. So thats very short period of time to get marry in my opinion :D Kellis fb says that they are engaged thou.

Glad that Alexi got tattoos to remind for his ex's :D

19. tragician

tragician Member

I gathered from her instagram that they got engaged last year and they are getting married in this december. And yeah I understood they have been friends since like 2005.

It's funny the ex tattoos bc all the names have started with K so he doesn't need to cover them up :D

#1239 tragician, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  20. razor002666

razor002666 New Metal Member

Good thing is that K.M. is now single. Wohoo!