This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rate my Nintendocore Mix!

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by unicorn hole, Jul 26, 2015.

1. unicorn hole

unicorn hole Midicore Madness

Hello! I've been making metalcore with video game elements and influences for about seven years now, and I've just changed my sound pretty drastically. I think my new sound is a huge improvement over my old stuff, but some extra opinions on my mix would be much appreciated. There's probably something I'm overlooking, since good production is new to me, ha. Thanks in advance!

https://unicornhole.bandcamp.com/

2. HugoRibeiroDotCom

haha.. awesome man!! Sounds great! You took good use and advantage of the old NES sound effects.

cheers

3. unicorn hole

Thank you so much for checking it out! I'm glad you liked it. I take it nothing stood out as being mixed poorly, or awkward sounding, or anything then?

4. theXbucket

theXbucket Member

cymbals could be better. they sound a bit harsh and programmed. snare needs more life too. whats the drum kit? feels a bit machine gun like.

5. unicorn hole

I used Superior drummer, and added extra samples to the kick and snare. You're definitely right about the cymbals- thanks for pointing that out. I'll make a note to work on the drums in the future. I'm not sure what to do about the cymbals. The humanize feature ends up sounding too varied to me. I'll do some looking into it. Thanks again!

6. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Yeah this sounds fucking rad, musically. The whole mix feels a bit crushed by mastering, but the drum humanization thing is definitely my biggest complaint.

What are you using for velocities on this, in general? It sounds kind of like most things are at 127; try doing something like this: (1/4 notes)

127-80-100-80-120-80-100-80 repeated

with your right-hand cymbal. A drummer is going to naturally hit downbeats harder and ease up on upbeat hits, but he's not going to go full-force on every single downbeat, either.

7. indecizo

indecizo Member

reminds me of iamerror or monomate

8. unicorn hole

indecizo, I'll take that as a compliment, thanks!

JeffTD, holy crap. Thank you so much for that very specific suggestion. That makes complete sense to me. Honestly, it is all at 127. I've used MIDI for so long, I didn't think much about it. I remember being turned off by the "humanize" feature a while back, because it was so drastic it sounded like different cymbals to me. That may have even been with a different set though, now that I think about it. I'm excited to give your suggestion a shot. Anyway, thanks again!

Anyone who likes the music, downloads are encouraged and much appreciated. It's free!