This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Reamping - External Preamp or Apogee Preamp?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Punkyskunky, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Punkyskunky

Punkyskunky Engineer at Brett Brothers Studio

Hey guys,

I have recently purchased a Radial reamping box in order to start doing some reamping of my own. However I have a question regarding the best signal chain to use.

In the past whenever I've recorded DI tracks to use with amp sims I've always plugged my guitar straight into my apogee quartet but I recently purchased a chandler TG2-500 series Preamp for my API Rack which I have been using on all other inputs (Vocals, bass, acoustics, etc.).

My question is this:

If I'm going to record guitar DI's to reamp later through a reamping box and my Peavey 5150 then which signal chain would be better?

Chain 1: Guitar > Apogee Quartet built in preamp > Reaper

Chain 2: Guitar > Radial J48 DI Box > Chandler TG2-500 Preamp > Reaper

I'm guessing the Apogee preamps would be cleaner than the Chandler but I just wanted to ask if you guys usually use Outboard preamps for your DI tracks or not.

Thanks.

2. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I'd likely opt for radial-->apogee. Those pre's are pretty clean while the TG2 has a good amount of flavor.

3. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

If the preamps are the same as my duet, i would second egan. They are pretty good already, but a good DI box gives you that extra % of quality which you notice once the tracks add up.

4. greyskull

greyskull Member

Up to you really. the TG2 is one of my favourite pre-amps, but my god is it coloured.