This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Reaper 4 dudes..

Discussion in 'Backline' started by drew_drummer, Dec 1, 2010.

1. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

The only problem with "imperial" is that the mixer can NOT be resized. The screenshot is actual size. Therefor smaller monitors will not suffice.

2. philby82

philby82 Member

Some of these skins look sweet as. I must run my reaper a bit different to everyone else tho, as i generally dont have a mixer docked at the bottom, and i just use the tracks on the left for all my controls. Just increase/decrease vertical height when i need to see the graphs, and pull the whole sidebar wider when i need to do slight adjustments to volumes.

Phil

3. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

I mix completely in the TCP too, I never use the actual mixer ever... It's "wrong" but I'm ok with it, haha...

4. AllanD

AllanD boom tap boom-boom tap

Am I the only one having pretty extreme problems? The editing is awful, no matter how hard I try to slip, it either doesn't move or budges way too far. Another issue, every time something is recorded in a track where something is already recorded, it creates an Empty Item. Halp?

5. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

I do exactly the contrary :) I mix with no visual on the actual tracks.

I have a dualscreen and I switch from
    - all tracks view
    - left:track view / right:mixer
    - all mixer

1 for editing, tracking
    2 for quick mixing, moving, navigating
    3 for actual mixing

Also, can you tell me on that "imperial" I'm right and I'm seing you can fucking display fx parameters with those knobs ?

Does that mean you can have a channelstrip loaded as an insert on all your tracks and display its controls on the mixer view so that you can mix almost just looking at your mixer ?

Please say yes !

6. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

OMG

I just realized you could have any vst control on your mixer !!!!

That's something I have been dreaming of for such a long time ! I didn't know Reaper could do it.

By the way, now that I am playing with it, there are 2 issues with it :
    - scrolling up/down to move the fx parameters knobs reacts strange, it's like there is an hysteresis
    - reaplugs are labbelled correctly but all other vst parameters are shown between 0 and 1. To be clear : if I wanna adjust the frequency of an eq band of ReaEq, it shows precisely the frequency, but from my ssl channelstrip, it shows for example "0.5" as the middle position, 0 and 10 as the extreme. So it doesn't show "8khz" for example, which is a pain.

Do you confirm there is no better ways to make it work ?

7. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

New alpha allows for pan/volume knobs instead of sliders :D

8. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

I don't think there's any way for Reaper to do what you want unfortunately because the plugins don't report those values back to Reaper, so the best it can do is 0 to 1. Use your ears! ;)

9. AllanD

AllanD boom tap boom-boom tap

EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded the update.

10. jhrv

jhrv Member

This is what I have so far. What do you think?

[​IMG]

11. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Ok thank you I was actually waiting for an intervention of yours :) Is that a VST limitation ? Anyway I decided it wouldn't be a problem, since I actually don't think too much of my values, and also that when you know well your vst you approximately know the value.

Anyway I'm so happy of this feature, I didn't know it was there under my eyes.

I just discovered the RADO theme. Very nice. I'm a big lover of dark grey themes, I find them not tiring and I like them to be simple and functionnal. So for the moment my favourites ones are "easy on the eyes" and "RADO". I have been mixing with "easy on the eyes : darker grid" since the beginning, in my mind it's actually the normal reaper theme since I've used only this one :lol:

The imperial theme is nice, hope it doesn't get too hard to read since there are a lot of things. I like a theme to be fast to understand.

12. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Also, are there new features planned already ?

My dream inspired by presonus : now you can open different sessions in the same reaper instance.
    What would be awesome would be the possibility to create a "cd" or "project" session which would be used as the mastering session where you can put your song sessions. With a workflow a little adpated to that purpose. And it would be automatically arranged, I mean that from this mastering sessions you could ask an automatic render of all songs into the mastering folder, so that you have 1 song / 1 stem track, and when you go change a mix, it automatically actualize the rendering of this particular song. So when you are mastering, if a song has a problem that diserve a change in the mix, you open it from there, change a few things, go back, and bam it's done and there is no hassle. It could export in the background too (like for reapeaks). The corerespondant file would be "offline" until the render is ended, and it will not block you during the export. And from this mastering session you would have all mastering tools and functions shown, and you could create the cd image or burn it at once. You could load "mastering templates" by analogy to session templates. This would be perfect.

13. Donovan S.

Donovan S. Member

Very sleek & modern! Lovin' it.

I also love the new knob feature as well.

Never been a fan of Reaper until this update. I cannot wait until the full version hits release so all these great skins can be accessed!

14. TheDriller

TheDriller Member

Fuck burning churches, lets burn down schools and
    Am I the only one who thinks that Imperial theme looks like a confused mess?
    The mix window there looks like a bad photoshop collage of controls from 20 different software packages

15. Pedro Teixeira

I'm gonna ask a really nooooooooob question, as I haven't used Reaper in a while, but what's with the "Width" parameter?

16. jhrv

jhrv Member

No, you're not.

17. darthjujuu

darthjujuu Member

18. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

Stereo width control for stereo sources. So you can pan something around and then make it narrower if you want to, just allows you to do proper stereo panning since Reaper didn't allow that forever without inserting a plugin to do it for you.

19. Wolfeman

Wolfeman I Prefer EL-34s. So What?

Holy crap, I love Reaper v4. This new theme someone made is SCHWEEET.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. locus_coeruleus

Wow, I hate those volume and pan knobs, it's a total waste of space.