This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Roy says hello to the doubters...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by AngraRULES, Aug 21, 2013.

1. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Actually you were talking about wearing the fake tattoo sleeves. You're Raj. :lol:

2. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

Damn, I have to be the girly one.

3. Random Axe

Random Axe Common Sense Man!

This thread has been all kinds of fun, but I do have a question that brings it back to semi-serious. Has anyone here or anyone from any webzines, review sites or wherever attempted to contact him to get the story? Has he denied interviews or requests for acknowledgment about his departure? He has to know how many fans he let down when he left without saying anything(that I know of). I'm just curious if he ever explained what happened and why. Maybe he doesn't think it's anyone's business and doesn't think he owes us anything, and he may be right.

HOwever, if I had some sort of epiphany or revelation that takes me away from thousands and thousands of fans and friends, I'd want to let them know the reasoning. We were left to fill in the blanks, and I think some rumors went around about a nervous breakdown or psychological problems. We as a society tend to embelish on our instincts and create reasoning and false assumptions when we are not given the truth. I watched his interiew on the bonus disc of Poetry and saw how uncomfortable he was, how disconnected he was and knew the end was coming in his body language. My first thought was fatigue, but there I go filling in blanks.

So what, if any, was the official Roy Khantatat statement?

4. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Member

Could apply to most religions and all cults sure. But as Paul Tillich I think rightly defined religion as being one's ultimate concern/commitment, this would mean that ALL people have a religion, even those that don't think they do, because all people have a value system of what's most important and least. If it isn't God that one makes ultimate in their life, in order to fill that vacuum we will tend to treat something else as ultimate that may very likely be less than ultimate.

Definitely agree with the latter half. Think that was a fair and valid observation. Impression wise, seems like he emotionally associated the bad or wearing experience with metal music+scene. Reminds me of when Kiske claimed to become a Christian, but his had more drama and exposure. But to my knowledge Khan isn't saying he hates metal or things like Kiske did. Think though if Kiske could eventually come back after working through those things, I have hope Khan would at some point as well. Pretty sure he knows of the bands mentioned like Stryper, Rob Rock and such. Kiske had Avantasia if not also Gammaray to wet his feet again. It may not be the way to go, but can you or anyone think of another third party that might be able to do that for him?

5. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Member

For anyone wondering, based on the iconography in the first pic, it seems to look like he became a Roman Catholic. I'm not Roman Catholic, and while I have some significant disagreements with it, I don't have a problem with it. Good for him. EDIT: Correction, talked to who allegedly has him sing there, it's an Evangelical Lutheran free church.

For the tattoo sleeves, think it's kind of funny. I get some of the disapproval but how many pages was it talked about? Haha. While appearance does have some importance because it is a statement and form of expression, and the sleeve seems pretty lame, don't think it was a regular thing. Have no problem with theatrics or regular metal apparel. Manowar though is ridiculous. Can we not say there's a bit of projection when people harp so much on fakeness to the extent they do? When I saw them live they scripted groupies to come on stage and go crazy over them.. I looked at them and literally frowned and shook my head. Cracked me up inside because the guitarist kept looking at me all shocked/ if not ashamed.

6. Justin G

Justin G Member

Wait, didn't one of the Kamelot albums - Epica maybe - actually come with a Kamelot temporary tattoo? It's all coming together.

7. Justin G

Justin G Member

Don't even try to deny it, Angraboy.

8. Finn Mac Cuhal

Finn Mac Cuhal The Lurker in the Dark

Random Axe posed a valid question.

Aside from a posting on what purports to be Khan's myspace page, Roy has made no other public statement (at least that I can find). I take it to mean that Khan wants to throw no more fuel on the matter than has already been tossed.

Back on 4/26/11, Khan's "official" myspace featured the following statement:

Despite Kamelot themselves not announcing it, Roy Khan has issued a statement on his Myspace confirming the rumors of him leaving the band:

"Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!

All the best & so long,
    Roy Khan"

9. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

[​IMG]

10. J. Golden

J. Golden Heaven and Hell Records

I still have one somewhere, I have been looking for it for the past couple of days.
    It was thoughtful of them to include that so that Kamelot fans could stick it out their arms and fit in with the cool kids. HAHA

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 METAL... nuff said!

I want to make passionate SWEET love to this post.

Mmmm hmmmm.

12. miel

miel Mrs. Harvester
    Staff Member

Looks like we may have inspired someone..
    Source

[​IMG]

~Jen

13. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

Dammit Milton, we were aced.

14. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

I lol'd.

15. Snowmaker

Snowmaker GO BLUE!!

WOW, he looks like Moby. I never would have recognized him. o_O

16. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Nooooooo!!!!

17. Reverend Su

Reverend Su Member

buwahahahahaha - oh my word - that killed me!! awesome comparison...very accurate!

18. jaimek

jaimek incorrigible

19. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

Khan has a great voice. Even if his music isn't in the arena of my choice, I'm glad he's using his gift. May he find happiness in what he's doing.

20. Random Axe

Random Axe Common Sense Man!

Maybe it's just me but I kept waiting for the opening riffs of March of Mephisto to pop up...

Seriously though, I'd actually be interested if he went into the recording studio and did some gospel or Christian rock. David Phelps (no relation to the dead psycho pastor) is a complete badass gospel singer with crossover appeal. I think Roy could do that if he chooses.