This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Scanner - The Judgement

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Fire breath, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Fire breath

Fire breath Member

Not sure I really like it. These veteran Germans are having another bash at the metal game though.

#1 Fire breath, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Sumeet

Sumeet Member

Interesting. These guys seem to crop up occasionally, then melt back into the ether again for several years. I still consider Hypertrace and Terminal Earth among the best classic germanic power metal albums, and I thought Mental Reservation and Ball Of The Damned were solid too. I basically lost track of them after that... I'm pretty sure I've never heard Scantropolis.

3. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

looking forward to this.

4. Keir

Keir Member

Me too. Maybe some US festival can bring them over here. :D

5. TwizstedJesus

TwizstedJesus Member

Wasn't "Scantropolis" with the awful female vocals? If that's the one, it was one play and tossed into a pile after for me. I remember hating it after how good "Ball of the Damned" was

6. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Me too! Best I've heard in a long time from them!

7. Dustin

Dustin C-C-Cool Beans!!!

So far I am totally digging this, it sounds like Scanner to me... I'll certainly be picking it up when it drops. I've been a fan since picking up "Hypertrace" and "Terminal Earth" (both on cassette) back in 92' for $1.50 each at a used music exchange. Total blind buys, I just snatched em' up because of the cheap price and being on Noise Records. win-win.

I am probably the only person on planet earth that actually loves "Scantropolis". Sure, Lisa Crofts's vocals were quite different compared to fan-favorite Leo's Szpigiel, but it worked for what was there... the songwriting was very much a forward progression on what I would expect from Axel "A.J." Julius and Scanner in 2002. It sounded like a more "progressive metal" effort than a "power metal" one, which is what I surmise was what initially turned most long-time fans off to it. Lisa's vocals were probably the other change that polarized the reception of the album. If I had any actual complaint about Scantropolis, it would be the electric/programmed drums... the high-hat is noticeably fake and up-front in the mix which was a minor distraction. If it was tracked with real drums (or better sampling software), I would go as far as to say that Scantropolis could have been Scanners best release.

8. Keir

Keir Member

Nope! It was a surprise when I first heard it but it really grew on me and now I love it. Still not nearly as good as the first 2, but better than Mental Reservation.

9. MeTuLHeD

MeTuLHeD A Member To Remember

Great power/speed metal band back in the day. Song sounds good. Not so sure about the production though. Sounds kinda thin by today's standards. These guys REALLY need someone who can dial in that sound as an engineer/producer. Someone of the quality of Sneap.

10. booB

booB Señor Member

Nope! By far the catchiest Scanner album, and had some memorable songs on it. Still my least favorite by them, but I love all their stuff.

11. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

If you haven't picked up either of the reissue yet, we suggest not waiting much longer. Supplies are dropping fast because of this new album.

12. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

This song simply rocks.

#12 Harvester, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  13. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks www.fools-game.com

Thanks for the reminder.

14. Keir

Keir Member

Indeed! I think the whole album is great. Probably only my 5th favorite of theirs but even my least favorite (Mental Reservation) is good, so that's not a bad thing.

15. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

16. Allen Grey

Allen Grey New Metal Member

I have varied musical taste so you could call me a fan of all the Scanners Releases. I find their new CD and not to mention the video a good kick in the pants.. It woke up the feelings I had when I first remember them being played on the Buzzard in Cleaveland all those years ago.. I do hope they won´t wait another 13 years.

17. NorseBlood

NorseBlood franks n steins

I picked up Scanner's latest "The Judgement" from eMusic last week. I really like this album a lot. If I could describe it, it would be that it is a very solid and consistent power/speed metal album which really is more power than speed metal. There isn't really any filler, and so its likely that everyone will have a different favorite song. It has been 12 years since Scanner last released an album, and while I'll say "The Judgement" made it worth the wait, lets hope we don't have to wait so long for the next one.

To make it easy, I'll post a few links below.

Digital downloads:
    http://www.emusic.com/album/scanner/the-judgement/15679956/
    https://us.7digital.com/artist/scanner/release/the-judgement
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-judgement/id950717490?uo=4
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=9523394&style=music

CDs:
    https://www.lasercd.com/cd/judgement-0
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Judgement-Scanner/dp/B00O9FH6ZE"]http://www.amazon.com/Judgement-Scanner/dp/B00O9FH6ZE[/ame]

18. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Master of Corgis

Its a pretty good album, but as a whole it didn't quite measure up to Hypertrace or Terminal Earth for me. It was definitely better than Scantropolis, though. :)