This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Sequels in Music

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Krondor, May 9, 2012.

1. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

EOS! OF COURSE! God, I fail for not thinking of that one. Great pick. Also, other Swano stuff.

Marwen: you laugh at Devin but exalt Yngwie? The internet wants you to hand over the keys.

2. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I've never been a big fan of Devin, either.

Although everything Yngwie plays does sound the same...

3. Sauna

Sauna Member

No. Death is the ultimate death metal band.

I don't think he was laughing at Devin, just humorously remarking that the "character" in the Devin Townsend Project tetralogy is probably Devin himself.

As for sequels... if the aforementioned tetralogy can be seen as a string of sequels, then that's obviously awesome. And though I preferred the first part of Goethe's Faust as a play, I think when it comes to Kamelot's interpretation of it the second part (Black Halo) is better than the first (Epica).

4. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

re: Devin, okay, yeah. I see that too. :)

re: Kamelot - agreed. Another good example of the rare occurrence of sequel = good/better.

5. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

Yeah I love Devin. Not into everything he makes (not into his crazy stuff so not really looking forward to the new Ziltoid, my sense of humor kinda fails there I guess) but the stuff I do like makes up for that big time.

oh okay. :p

6. Sep3

Sep3 Member

Was Z2 supposed to be done this year? Epicloud should be out at the end of september with it's Kingdom re-record (!), but I haven't been able to dig out anything about the new ziltoid...

Haha, first thing that came in my mind was Crimson/Crimson II when I saw the topic. I prefer Crimson II actually. Crimson is maybe a bit more solid, but Crimson II really has it's moments especially during the first 15 minutes, way more emotion. Both are very, very good still.

7. keeperxiii

keeperxiii Awakening...

Unforgiven III :Spam:

I think so, yes. Why waste money on a double album for a new band when a great album with a sequel would do better? :D

There's also Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 3 of course, which is a bit different but still good.

Gamma Ray has Land of the Free Part 2 which I haven't listened to yet but I'm not in a hurry. I preferred Gamma Ray when they were more about the melody and less about the riffs.

8. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I prefer double albums to sequels. Case in point: Lamb Lies Down.

9. symphonyXjapan

The new Sonata Arctica album has both a "Wildfire II" and "Wildfire III", which are sequels to "Wildfire" from their 2004 album Reckoning Night.

I can't give my opinion on them yet myself as I have not yet heard either; however, so far I have heard pretty good things about them overall.

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Saw last night in Turin (Italy) Ian anderson performing "Thick as a brick" part
    one and two,to me TAAB 2 is the best sequel in rock history,considering that comes after 40 years.Anyway,don't miss him when he comes live near you,it would be a shame.

11. Liampie

Liampie Member

They're different from the original of course, Sonata has made quite a style change, but they're all three pretty cool songs. Of the newest, Wildfire II is the best. Best on the new (quite boring) album for sure.

12. symphonyXjapan

I think I like both part II and III equally but in their own ways. Part II definately has more going on in it and is a bit more progressive; however, part III is just aggressive as hell and probably the fastest song they have done since before Unia.

I know Sonata Arctica are one of those bands in the metal community that have created a lot of controversy with their sound change over the years and have created a divide; however, for me this has made them one of my favorite bands (probably in the top 3, but definately top 5). Unia was such a huge change from Reckoning Night (my favorite SA album), and even though there some great stuff on it it remains probably my least favorite album. I think it was mainly due to the total 360 change they made and they should have kept gradually changing like they had started to with RN. Even though deep down I still wish for them to do another "fast"/power metal album I think these newer albums have been what has made them one of my favorite bands. These newer albums have brought their Queen elements and great songwriting talents to the forefront due to the main draw not being speed/power metal anymore. They allowed me to see that even with their old albums what drew me to like them was beyond just fast paced power metal. They have a distinct sound that sounds unique no matter what kind of music they play, and these same talents were present even in the older albums, just not as easily seen.

13. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

That would be a great way to put it, if they just didn't sound as derivative as dy/dx.

14. donKyle

donKyle Member

I just feel like there's too much singing going on in the last 2 albums, and not in a good way. Reckoning Night is my favorite by them as well, but it's hard for me to listen to anything after that.

15. Frosties

Frosties Blind @ heart

:erk:

16. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

ahhahaha nice catch

17. symphonyXjapan

I think I just got destroyed there!

I COULD go back and edit my post but the humiliation has already been smitten on me... lol

18. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

A lot of bands in the past few years have done total 720s. With a nose grab.

19. wdiv

wdiv Rattlehead

A couple of excellent sequels:
    Virgin Steele - Marriage of Heaven & Hell, Part II
    Virgin Steele - House of Atreus, Act II

A couple of others:
    King Diamond - Abigail II
    King Diamond - Conspiracy (sequel to Them)
    Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II (... not really a sequel?)
    WASP - Neon God part 2

20. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

:lol: