This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Serenity suggestions?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by ApolloFC, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

Simple enough

I only have youtube as a listening option.. not on Rhapsody or for sale only

2. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

Well they only have 3 albums. I like the new one Death & Legacy the best. But the other two are solid as well.

3. Fizrider

Fizrider Quasi-Old Fart

Check out "My Legacy" and "Serenade of Flames" - those are 2 of my favorite tracks off of their latest album. They were the first of the "new" bands I picked to buy an album from (I already know Symph X, Epica and Amaranthe... and am familiar with Pretty Maids). I like them for the same reasons I like Helloween, for what that's worth.

4. DemonOfTheWoods

DemonOfTheWoods Your option out of here

IMO, the first album (Words Unlived & Dreams Untold or something like that) is the best. The 2nd, not so good. The new album, Death & Legacy, is great, but I still like the 1st album best.

5. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

ApolloFC,

Listen to their second album, Fallen Sanctuary *first*. IMO, it's by far the best thing they've released to date. It's an amazing record, a perfect combination of the best Kamelot and Sonata Arctica songs you could ever imagine. That was my gateway to Serenity, so much to the point that I'm always left somewhat disappointed when I hear the other discs... yeah, that's how much I love Fallen Sanctuary. It's friggin' amazing. One of my favorite power metal albums of the 2000s.

6. Fizrider

Fizrider Quasi-Old Fart

{grabs pen and writes on hand to purchase "Fallen Sanctuary" on iTunes as soon as I get home, scribble scribble}

7. Dragon KLaw

Dragon KLaw Shadow Lurker

+1

8. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

I swear to God you won't be disappointed. How can you?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5IMyTx85MM&feature=related[/ame]

#8 AngraRULES, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  9. PureXul

PureXul Member

Agree 100% with your assessment - however, they've definitely moved away from the sound of the 1st album, so it's probably not an optimal starting point. I'd say that "Death & Legacy" is the best to start with.

I suspect that people's enjoyment of "Words Unlived & Dreams Untold" will be affected in large part by whether they heard it before or after other Serenity material. If you enjoy the Kamelot/Sonata Arctica direction they've gone in, the debut won't be quite as appealing.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

I picked up the first one and it doesn't really stand out for me so far.

11. Akumu

Akumu Look at the tree.

This.

12. DemonOfTheWoods

Wow, I really need to listen to Fallen Sanctuary again. I must be the only person who doesn't feel strongly about that album. I got it when it came out, I was very excited about it because of how much I loved the first record. But when I listened to it, there was nothing that jumped out & I felt it was a huge disappointment compared to the first album. I need to dig it out & re-listen.

I'm still interested to know what the situation is with their performance. Glenn's comments after their cancellation in 2008 about "anyone who wants to see this band should go to Europe" had me (and others) feeling they would NEVER perform here & needless to say we were all shocked (and extremely excited) when they were announced for 2012. I've heard a few different things about the situation, but I'd like to know the actual story but I understand completely if that information/situation can't be discussed.

13. DemonOfTheWoods

Wow...that album is just so goddamn amazing...

14. DADRocks

DADRocks Member

All three are great albums. I'm shocked that they going to play. I cannot wait for them and Kingcrow.

15. djjello

djjello djjello

the first one. over and over again. I really love the energy and drive of that release.

it still does and always will f'ing rock, imo.

16. Azrael LenGraden

Azrael LenGraden Lake Of Fire

Not even close IMO..."Fallen Sanctuary"

17. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

Honestly, they've not released a bad song. There's at least one song on every album that just makes you think "fuck yes!" For me those three would be:
    Words Untold and Dreams Unlived: a tie between Reduced to Nothingness and Circle of My 2nd Life
    Fallen Sanctuary: a tie between Coldness Kills and The Heartblood Symphony
    Death & Legacy: New Horizons

For the small investment to own the discography, buy the whole thing. I can't see how a fan of prog or power would be disappointed with any of it, honestly.

18. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

The song "Velatum" is what sold me in Fallen Sanctuary. Amazing chorus.

My favorite us still the debut: "Canopus 3," "Reduces to Nothingness," and "Forever": elite.

19. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

I'm liking this one. If i may be honest I was thinking of making Serenity a lunch band as I wasn't impressed with the stuff that I had listened to (should be noted I was also undergoing a stomach virus at the time) and I quite like every other band on the friday lineup, but I like this album.

20. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

Got around to listening to the first two albums yesterday. I definitely like what I have heard so far. I think I confused them with some other band, because they don't sound anything like what I was expecting them to. Needless to say, I look very forward to their set next year.