This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Singer / songwriters of metal

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Daybreaker, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

This thread has turned into 'my favorite metal artists'

Apparently to some Luca sings in Rhapsody (and didn't collaborate as heavily as he does/has), Tony sings in Black Sabbath, Paul Gilbert sang in Mr. Big, Urban wrote the music for all of his bands, Jorn wrote a good song, Oliva didn't have Paul O'Neil (and didn't have his brother to write most of the riffs), etc.

I could write down my favorite metal songwriters, but most of them don't also play all the instruments and sing on the album. There are some band projects out there where one guy does everything and other people play the instruments. But there's nto really a John Mayer, Joan Baez, Dan Folgelberg etc.

2. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

BlackRoseMetalHeart - You are right. And the E-Street band has been performing with other artists over the years as well. I don't know how much they get involved in writing the music that ends up on albums. I'm not really a fan of The Boss, so I haven't read much up on it.

3. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

Yes, you are being anal. Rob Halford wrote "Resurrection" on his own, plus he also plays guitar and bass enough at least to write. I'm sure in HIS band HE has the final say on everything. Therefore, he fits your criteria. The same applies to Bruce Dickinson.

4. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

We could also throw Lemmy into the mix.

5. Soundscape

Soundscape Member

in prog: Don Anderson, Toby Driver, Andre Matos, Daniel Gildenlow, Jim Matheos

6. Comic Book Dude

Comic Book Dude Rockin'

7. AeonicSlumber

Demonaz for Immortal, even though he isn't in the band anymore he still pens all the lyrics and some of the music.

Leif from Candlemass is another that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

8. end

end الموت للدين

They've been mentioned but Arjen Luccassen and Daniel Gildenlow stand out the most to me.

9. shadowmac

shadowmac Member

Lance King is instrumental in the writing in most of the projects that he's involved with. Geoffe Tate is now the primary writer for Queensryche, but even when DeGarmo was in the band, he was writing 50% or so. As guys have mentioned, Arjen writes everything for his numerous projects. Tobias Sammet writes everything.
    Andy B. Franck of BRAINSTORM has written for several projects, Kiko Loureiro of Angra, Carl Cadden James of Shadow Gallery...

Joe Satriani writes and sings (i.e. "Big Bad Moon"), but he's not metal. Sambora is actually a great singer, again not metal.

10. Pelata

Pelata FINAL SIGN

I second Doug Pinnick and add Ty Tabor...

11. Rycher

Rycher Oskee Wow Wow!

Tate writes lyrics, but not a note of music. Jason Slater and Kelly Grey wrote the majority of the music for American Soldier.

12. Pelata

Pelata FINAL SIGN

He actually did lead vocals on a bonus track on one of the Greatest Hits releases...called "Unnatural".

His solo albums (w/ vocals) are fantastic!! Great talent...

I also agree w/ Harry Hess from Harem Scarem...and would add Pete Lesperance (his solo album is fantastic...wrote and sang all the songs)...

13. labrekk

labrekk Member

I respect Bormann as a singer and a musician. I enjoy some albums he sang on (The Sygnet, Bloodbound, Letter X..)

But Jaded Heart is WAY better and heavier since he left the band. The last 3 CDs are excellent, while I never cared for the early stuff...

14. labrekk

labrekk Member

Tony Martin would classify. On his 2005 solo album "Scream" (which was excellent IMO), he sang, played bass and drums. I think he might have played some guitar too. Before that album, I thought he was only able to sing...

15. fatesmiles

fatesmiles Member

I would say Jim Matheos. He has traditionally written about 90% of Fates music and lyrics. Not a virtuoso showoff but extremely talented on his solo work as well as Fates Warning.

16. SharkBlack

SharkBlack Member

+1