This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

So what's been happening over the last year?

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Rick, Nov 11, 2010.

1. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You know how it is.

I used to think all Yanks were loud and I didn't meet too many that fit the stereotypes.

We also don't have the reputation of being big drinkers that we think we have, in fact those in every country I visited like to think they are the big drinkers. I didn't exactly help our cause with my light drinking but I did dispel some beliefs they had about Aussies.

s

2. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

In my whole time overseas I only saw Aussies down at Zrce in Croatia coming down for the clubbing and stuff. They were all similar to how Stephen explained his experience guy, Australians have got to be one of the worst travellers. I was ashamed to say I was from Australia after seeing the way they carried on.

I seen photos of them drunk and with the Aussie flag worn like a cape at Gallopoli, disgusting. Puts a bad mark on the well mannered Australians in Australia.

3. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Every country thinks they are big drinkers. I don't get why you would flaunt that.

4. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

That's exactly the kind of shit I'm thinking about. Similarly, the ones who go on a 5 day trip to Bali and have to dress up in Australian shit to prove how Aussie they are for that massive spell away from home.

On another note, who the fuck listens to Down Under in Australia? Why do Australians overseas feel the need to play it? If Australia's so fucking good, don't leave.

5. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

In Croatia I met some in Pula at the YHA, these guys were well mannered which was refreshing. Of course they went out clubbing/drinking. They had done a lot of Eastern Europe and only had good things to say about Croatia, one had bought himself a distinctively Croatian towel (red white blue with chequer pattern) and wore that around his shoulders to keep from the sun, thankfully not wearing it as a cape, lol.

In Wacken we met some from Perth, flying the flag, pissing on and yelling at everyone, half getting into fights among themselves, :rolleyes: doing the whole Aussie, Aussie, Aussie thing - we gave them a wide berth. Can't say I remember them playing any Aussie metal from their stereo.

s

6. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Australians really have a toxic relationship with alcohol. We don't have a drinking culture so much as a binge drinking culture. There's no refinement or purpose, Australians just try to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible. That's why we don't rate highly on the alcohol consumption per capita stakes: where other nationalities might spend seven hours savouring every beer and having a good time, your average Australian barely tastes his drink, and is throwing up or passed out after only a few hours, so has to stop. And then often doesn't remember what happened the next day. It's bullshit.

There's a hell of a lot to admire about Australians of course. But our relationship to booze is not one of them.

7. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Australians aren't the only ones like that, overseas the 30 - 40 year olds just got drunk all day. Drinking a litre of this thing called rakija before miday. Smoking and drinking is huge in Croatia always has been but it got even bigger after the war.

I just find the average anglo can't hold his alcohol. Some are drunk after smashing 5 beers.

8. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

That's because they smash them. The Australian drinking culture came from the days of the 6 o'clock swill, where the pubs had to close at 6. Workers would knock off at 5, so they only had an hour to drink as much beer as they could. Even when they changed the licensing laws, that behaviour stuck around. Find a movie called Wake in Fright that was made in 1971 when some places still had restrictions on pub hours and see where the current binge drinking culture comes from.

9. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

I don't think thats the reason. I seen them smash drinks harder in Europe. One of the best ones was vodka and lemonade in a cup put a cloth on top and smash it on the table and then smash it down, gets you real messy. I think it's a genetics thing, the English and Germans seemed to have always been the worst while I was down at Zrce when I actually saw tourists. It's like the way Asians get red eyes from alcohol. Anyways enough hijacking from me. I'm sick of typing the words Zrce, Croatia and overseas, lol.

10. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

This year has been a year of light and dark for me.

People close have died, in fact a workmate who was close who I had known for over 13 years died at the age of 32, still cant believe it and still think of him everyday.
    Had two guys leave the band , already have one new guy .
    Had one guy not rehearse or play all the gigs with the band in 2009, hadnt seen him in over 6 months and then when the other two left he texts me to say he's leaving the band.....heh heh WTF?........totally fucken bizarre.
    Realised that many people who I thought were friends for many years were not and couldnt give a shit.
    Realised that people who I thought in the past couldnt care less about me where the most caring .
    Having everyday with my family has been a blessing and seeing the kids grow into who they are has been amazing and I look forward to the future with them :)

11. Winmar

Fuck man, that's shit. That kind of thing shows you how much more important family is than anything else.

You've had a bad run for bandmates too. What's the go there?

12. Watto

Watto the need...for speed!

I completely agree on what you guys have said about Australia's binge drinking problems you only have to type in fight Sydney on youtube to see our youths disgraceful behaviour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-LrY_x2W4&feature=related oi fugen lets go carnt i'll smash you's dog. Even in springwood in the blue mountains ive seen shit loads of drunken lad fights on the way to work or at work on the early hours of the morning (i'm a baker).

I agree with what's been said about the drunken Australian travellers as well, I remember staying in a party hostel in Prague. There were two bus loads full of Australians doing the contiki tours. They would only stick to there group of friends be quite loud an obnoxious. I remember talking to one bloke and asking if he did the free walking tour of the city, or if he had taken the 1 hour train ride to kutna hora to see the church made out of human bones. His response was nah fuck that shit I was to hung over from the pub crawl aye. Good on you champ, come all the way to another country to do exactly what you do back home and miss an awesome opportunity to learn some amazing things.

I have to say ive also been guilty of been a dickhead Aussie traveller, finding other Aussies and singing John Farnham songs and what not. That was at the metal festivals though and all the Europeans didn't have a problem with that behaviour. Or else they wouldn't of kept forcing me to drink their home made rakija, constantly offer me accommodation and food. As long as you're a happy drunk, being in the right environment ie a festival and know when to draw the line when you're been obnoxious. The loud lout behaviour can be alright.

13. Watto

Back to the original Question, Ive almost completed an outdoor recreation course in the blue mountains.
    I'm now a qualified guide for:
    Abseiling, Rock climbing, Canyoning, Bush walking/navigation & Canoeing
    Ive seen some amazing parts of the bush and rivers of NSW enjoyed the year and next year is looking even brighter yay life. Despite not liking a lot of Australians, Australia is a beautiful country and when doing guide work I usually only come across happy awesome people guides and clients.

Unfortunately seeing as though ive still been working part time and constantly been away on 3 day hikes my gig attendance has been pretty low

14. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Who did you do the course with?

15. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I get what you're saying but even if you don't drink, on those type of tours it's very hard to squeeze some things in, playing 'race around the world' gets exhausting.

Why would they, singing while drunk is much more common in the UK & Europe, it's not exactly loutish behaviour as long as you don't offend others.

s

16. Watto

Cert III outdoor recreation at Wentworth falls Tafe. Ive been doing some guiding work with the Katoomba companies High and Wild, B.M.A.C etc. As well It's awesome, you get paid to take friendly back packers climbing or through canyons. It definitely beats baking bread at 3am

Yeah I dont get the Contiki tours, sure going to another country not knowing how well they speak English. Or how you could get around places probably sounds daunting to in experienced travellers. But the contiki tours are so freeken expensive and you're just doing the same shit all the time and hanging around the same people.

I found not planning my trips at all made for a great experience even though some cities all the cheap hostels were booked out and I slept in places like scaffolds, shrubs and logging huts half way up Swiss/Polish alps :p

17. Winmar

A tour like the one Stephen went on would be good, but the whole Contiki thing doesn't appeal to me. I like independent travel, but I guess if you're pushed for time 37 European countries in 4 days tour would have its benefits.

18. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

Absolutely , family is everything to me and pulled me through .

In regards to ex band mates , two left because of the direction they wanted to go and the rest of us just wanted to stay sounding as VP , the two guys are still friends and always will be .
    In regards to the third member ex member who was with the band for just over a year , to be polite I dont think it was the right decision for him to have joined the band and alot had changed when he did.When people serve too many masters they lose the whole meaning of what they are initially doing in the first place. Thats all I will say and as diplomatically as possible.
    Hope your family is going well Winmar , I understand you have a little addition to your family which is awesome :)

19. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

Ive never understood the contiki concept, I would rather just go it alone and go wherever I want and take as long as I want , I did it that was back in 2001 and saw so much and was never without good company wherever I went.

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Most guys don't but I can see the merit, you don't have to drive or organise a thing, just sit back and relax, so why not get wasted?

One bonus I can see is because of the relative safety of it, lots of girls like to travel as part of a tour and from what I hear it's just about always girls > guys on each bus.

;)

s