This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Song Survivor - Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick round 1

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Phylactery, Jan 26, 2019.

?

Vote for the 3 weakest tracks on Blessed are the Sick

Poll closed Jan 31, 2019.
  1. Fall From Grace

15.4%
  2. Brainstorm

15.4%
  3. Rebel Lands

15.4%
  4. Day of Suffering

23.1%
  5. Blessed are the Sick/Leading the Rats

46.2%
  6. Thy Kingdom Come

15.4%
  7. Unholy Blasphemies

69.2%
  8. Abominations

30.8%
  9. The Ancient Ones

69.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Allfader

Allfader Kvelding

I don't like the production of the album, but from the many times I saw Morbid Angel live playing that one, I would say it's pretty good.

2. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

Blessed wasn't pushing death metal forward in comparison to anything. It's pretty standard death metal from top to bottom with some stupid instrumentals thrown in that probably tickle Phyls cooch.

3. CiG

CiG Terminal Perversion

Surprised at how many votes "Unholy Blasphemies" has already. Sick fucking track, reminds me of Vader a bit too.

TechnicalBarbarity likes this.
  4. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

Yeah, but you didn't mention this. You mentioned Considered Dead and Dawn of Possession. Considered Dead, while a strong album, brings nothing new to the table. It's a blending of NYDM and Floridian death metal styles. Perhaps I'm viewing it as more standard than what it is because of what Gorguts would go on to do later, but I don't think so.

I'm not even implying that Blessed was some huge revolutionary step forward in death metal in 1991, it's not The Red in the Sky is Ours. But Trey's riffing style up to this point and including Blessed was always identifiably unique and twisted compared to their contemporaries and there are songs on Blessed that don't sound like much else coming out in that time. And no, it has nothing to do with the instrumentals/interludes, two of which I am not even a fan of. Covenant is a much more standard affair than Blessed.

5. CiG

CiG Terminal Perversion

Even the 3 songs from 1987?

6. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

No I'm not talking about those, for obvious reasons. Although I personally think they fit in pretty well with the album. I wouldn't have even bothered to bring this up if Talos' post hadn't implied that the two album he did were some massive step forward in the genre compared to Blessed. The Immolation I can kind of get behind because they've always had their own style, but that became much more developed on Here in After and not the debut. Which says nothing about the quality, I love both. Considered Dead sounds like a band finding their feet by emulating their influences (one of which is clearly Morbid Angel). The Erosion of Sanity was a big step forward for them in developing their own style and of course Obscura is fucking batshit.

7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Active Member

8. CiG

CiG Terminal Perversion

I agree that Considered Dead and Dawn of Possession aren't albums massively pushing death metal forward, but I completely disagree with how much you dismissed them in favour of Blessed Are the Sick which I see as really just more of the same (composition-wise) as what Morbid Angel had already done. It was your sheer incredulity that confuses me.

I think you're blowing Blessed Are the Sick out of proportion because you personally love it so much. All 3 albums are absolutely in the same league if you ask me.

9. TechnicalBarbarity

just that in itself makes it more unique than a standard death metal album like Blessed .... analbum that brought absolutely NOTHING new to the table.

that kind of sheer savagery wasn't displayed many times att. That album was one of the reasons that sound went on to become the standard for death metal. nothing you're saying here makes sense tbh

10. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Active Member

Not to mention that it's just better performed and better produced.

CiG likes this.
  11. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

Covenant was released in 1993. It had already been surpassed in terms of savagery and violence years prior by plenty of albums. If anything it was Morbid Angel joining the arms race in those qualities with imo, mixed results. Not to mention, an attempt at making their music more accessible, which worked, since it’s one of the highest selling death metal albums of all time.

12. TechnicalBarbarity

Points out what year Covenant was released like i dont know and then says that there were other albums that were savage and brutal too, like i stated in my post. That album is one of the reasons that type of death metal went on to become the standard. And dude, you're one of the most clueless members on this forum so your opinion means nothing to me really, especially when most of your posts are coming form your heart and not your head. Your metal IQ is truly lacking, buddy.

13. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Hey TB you ever going to get home from the fucking wedding and do your Song Survivor?

TechnicalBarbarity likes this.
  14. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

I said they had already been released years prior.

15. TechnicalBarbarity

Our weddings are like week long opium-den sex orgies. You know how us gypsies do it.

But nah i'm done with them. You guys can take over.

16. CiG

CiG Terminal Perversion

If Considered Dead is standard death metal, what else came out in 1991 or prior like it?

17. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

You must have extra long weeks to :p

Not I, I'm all about letting others take the glory, letting others see their name in lights, and letting other people feel special.

18. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

I can't point you to an album that sounds exactly like Considered Dead, but it's pretty heavily indebted to the popular Floridian death metal acts of the time with some Suffocationissms thrown in. None of which even matters because as I said it's a good album. There's plenty of albums I love that aren't particularly unique, that's not why I'm discussing this. Blessed could be the most derivative death metal album of 1991 and I'd still love it because it's well written. I just don't think it is.

19. CiG

CiG Terminal Perversion

I agree, uniqueness doesn't mean an album is good and derivation doesn't mean an album is bad, but I don't think Blessed Are the Sick is more unique than Considered Dead, that's all.

20. jimmy101

jimmy101 Active Member

Voted for the title track, Abominations & The Ancient Ones.

Can't believe HBB called Pete Sandoval's drumming on Fall From Grace "poor". Wtf are you smokin' man?