This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

State Sovereignty Issue

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Dak, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Dak

Dak mentat

Copied over from the news thread:

Obviously not a isolated movement. Discuss:

Edit: Anyone else see the irony in this developing situation and all of the Obama-Lincoln comparison rhetoric?

2. XSASweet

XSASweet Member

Sorry for being retarded, but can you tell what it means in laymans terms? I'm super sick and really can't tell what things mean.

3. Dak

Dak mentat

Basically that almost everything the Federal Government is handling the states want to handle themselves, since obviously the Federal Government is royally fucking it up imo, and apparently in the opinion of the sponsers of these bills.

4. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

Yeah, basically The fed. gov't has way overstepped its bounds according to the 10th Amendment of the Constitution, and the States are beginning to reassert their rights over a lot of federal laws.

5. V.V.V.V.V.

V.V.V.V.V. Houses Ov Mercury

It's good that they are, and a little conflict never hurt the US anyway. :p

6. skeptik

skeptik Member

I really don't trust most states to not be retarded in certain areas.

7. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

Maine needs to jump on this so we can secede to Canada.

8. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

...and you trust the federal government to not be retarded? Besides, the Constitution still applies to them.

9. Dak

Dak mentat

10. genocide roach

genocide roach DOOOOOOOOOOM

i think this is a good thing. the federal government needs to focus on defending itself.

that being said, i think there is one sticking point with this. the federal government hands out a ton of money every year to states. california, for example, NEEDS that money, because theyre dumb and didnt manage their money properly. other states are in the same boat. if they dont want the feds to be involved, that money could go away.
    ~gR~

11. Dak

Dak mentat

Where does that money come from?

12. genocide roach

federal taxes which are pulled from every state, not just the one receiving the money. some states get more money than they pay in fed taxes
    ~gR~

13. Dak

Dak mentat

Which is another problem. But if the majority of federal programs were cut out and instituted on a state by state basis and run by the state, the state can tax as it sees fit and doesn't need the Federal to tax as well to duplicate a job the state can easily handle on its own and imo handle it better.

De-centralized systems are more resilient and efficient, and thats the way the writers of the US Constitution intended the country to run.

14. genocide roach

15. skeptik

skeptik Member

I'm fairly confident in my belief that certain individual states on certain issues have much more stupid ideas than the federal government. The federal government needs to be there to prevent states from infringing on the rights of the citizens of any given state. The federal government is also essential to intrastate relations, which are almost always overlooked by the most vehement states' rights proponents. I agree that overall states should have more freedom in some areas than they do now, but I also think that a nationwide framework is extremely important.

16. genocide roach

grav has a point, which is something i'm ashamed to say. alabama's opinions on religion and abortion are far worse than the fed's
    ~gR~

17. Dak

Dak mentat

This isn't about abolishing a federal government, merely bringing it back within the limited confines of foreign and interstate relations and common defense.

If one state wants stricter laws and one wants laxer laws, they should be able to do that. As long as the the laws don't infringe on the rights gaurunteed in the Constitution.

18. Ender Rises

Ender Rises Wass sappening?

Athens, Greece. I wish. Athens, Texas, in cruel re
    The reality of this is very difficult, tbh. There would be no way to give a poorer state the money it needs for schools and such, since it would be dependant on the tax from the state. You'd end up with a few rich ass states and a bunch of states that aren't self sufficient and go to shit. You think the south is bad now, wait until they assert their tenth amendment rights and fall straight into the shitter due to lack of tax revenue, especially when people start moving to the richer states that have the better schools and hospitals and houses and streets and etc. The more you look at how this would actually work the more problems there are.

19. Dak

Dak mentat

This really is short-sighted. Without the bloated federal beaurocracy, the federal taxes would be minimal, allowing each state to tax as it needs. People who prefer more lower taxes and spartan public services would probably congregate in particular states and those who prefer better public services coupled with higher taxes would choose other states.

De-centralization, and reduced duplication would cause an increase in efficiency of tax dollar spending, that the current system is failing at miserably.

20. challenge_everything

I would have thought the opposite. States are becoming increasingly obsolete - when they were created, each one was like the whole world to the population because most of them rarely left it or had the ability to communicate with those in other states. There's not really much that the federal government couldn't do if given the power and resources. It seems to me they exist mainly as manifestations of nationalism on a state-based level and as an outsider it's difficult to understand the emphasis on it.