This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Stupid Questions - and things you were afraid to ask

Discussion in 'LORD' started by pipsqeek, May 19, 2006.

1. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

The biggest problem with our government system is that it clearly has no capability to plan for the long term. This has been exacerbated by the escalation in reactionary policy brought about by the power of social media. Unfortunately, our government is almost unfixable due to the way federation was structured. In order to make the kinds of changes we need to make all of the heads of state as well as the federal government must agree. It took Australia over 10 years to federate, can you imagine how long it would take to replace our existing system with one that better represents us- it would upset the gravy boat for too many longtime leaches to ever be made palatable despite the clear will of the people.

2. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Would this restructuring occur if we were to become a republic?

s

3. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I doubt it. A republic is just the same troughsnoutery by another name. The only republic I can think of that seems to work is Singapore, and Singapore is practically totalitarian. Also its size makes it somewhat easier to be efficient in a large scale infrastructure sense.

Bah I have a huge manifesto on how I'd structure the new government based on the mistakes of ours. Don't worry- I won't inflict it on you guys!!

4. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I say we all forget completely about democracy and just have everyone do whatever the fuck I tell them to. It's the perfect political system.

5. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

A question for the travellers regarding baggage.

I notice Jetstar have baggage fees dependent on weight but not pieces.

Virgin have set their fees according to pieces and give them a weight each.

i.e. 1 piece up to 23kg = $12

2 pieces up to 23kg each = $32

Qantas site just says 1 piece max, 23kg, I know my guitar and luggage is under 23kg but it’s 2 pieces, are Qantas that anal to charge me for an extra piece?

Anyone with recent experience in the matter and which airline works best?

s

6. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Is the luggage small enough to take on as hand luggage?

Best bet it to give them a call... usually they're pretty accomodating as long as you're not trying to go too overboard. For example, a woman on a flight with me had 6 HUGE bags that where very light... they refused to put them on the plane because of the space they took up. She had to pay extra for it as they considered it oversized

7. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Yep, I'm thinking that's the best option, I'm asking with the band in mind.

I recall one time we went we each had a 20kg allowance and with all our tickets we could pool our luggage into the total weight.

They weren't concerned about the number of items so those with more than 20kg got soaked up by those with less than 20kg and just about everything went undercarriage.

Personally I don't like to carry on luggage if I can avoid it. I've had a gripe here before about those carrying full backpacks along with other items delaying everyone.

s

8. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I’ve rung around an it no longer works on weight like it used to, now they’re charging for each luggage piece and each piece has to be under a certain weight. I guess it takes the handlers longer to trash both a 10kg and a 13 kg bag than to trash one 23kg bag.

You also have to nominate and pay for the baggage first when you buy a ticket, if you turn up on the day you get slugged a lot more depending on which airline.

In case any musos here need to know, Virgin have some arrangement for musicians with instruments, you email your reservation no., APRA ID and let them know - music@virginaustralia.com

I spoke to Qantas asking, what if I have 2 pieces but less than 23kg and no carry on luggage? I was told I could go to the site and complete a sponsorship application to have any fees associated with instrument baggage waived. If you want to carry on a large instrument like a cello you have to pay for a seat for it.

s

9. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

My local 2nd hand CD shop has recently started buying and selling guitars and other instruments.

Saw today that they had what they labelled as a "ProAxe" bass guitar for $99.
    I tried looking them up but can't find any info through a basic search.

Has anyone used that brand before or know anything about them?

10. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

11. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

12. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

One thing I should know, but I don't: what does it mean when a credit card says "up to 55 days interest free"? What exactly does it depend on for the "up to" part?

13. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You can pay it off completely on any day up to day no. 55

... and incur no interest charges.

However, if you don't pay it off completely by day 56, they charge you interest on the whole amount (I assume it's the whole amount not the remaining) from day 1.

s

14. Winmar

Makes sense. Do they calculate each transaction that way individually? How does it relate to the payment due date e.g. minimum payment due by March 10? Is the due date therefore irrelevant apart from the minimum payment aspect?

15. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

You really have to check the fine print and/or discuss how it all works before you sign up. I imagine just like banks there will be different terms and conditions between different suppliers.

You want to check whether it's reducible interest (interest that is calculated on the amount owing, not initial amount), if there are any penalties for not making payments on time, etc.

If you can, pay it off during the interest free period, best of luck,

s

16. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Tried searching a few pages back for a better thread, but couldnt find one....so:

I'm contemplating taking some vocal lessons. My target style is that of Sonata Arctica (Tony Kakko) so basically power metal. Does anyone know of any places i could look into? Prefer CBD or Campbelltown area.
    Ta

17. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Where can I buy digital copies of heavy metal albums? Preferably AIFF files so it has metadata and I'm not keen on mp3 or AAC, so I don't want to use iTunes.

18. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

http://www.cdbaby.com/ ?

I think they do FLAC

19. Winmar

What exactly are professors in the USA? The place seems to be awash with them. They're clearly not what we consider to be professors in Australia.

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member