This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Suggest a band

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Alrighty!

The interest in Fury gave me this idea. There's probably a lot of bands that we know, perhaps underground ones, perhaps not, that are not that well known amongst the majority of members here that should be getting more recognition.

I'd like to have this thread as a discussion of the bands that you've discovered that you think we all should know about and provide a link to their homepage, a bit of info about them, etc. to help people here decide if it's something they may be interested in.

This is NOT for plugging your own band or your mate's band and it's not for non regulars to dump spam everywhere. And please, no "I know this band called Iron Maiden LOLOLOLOLWTFBBQ!!!!11!!11" posts - try to keep it on topic.

Go for it! :)

2. Lord Tim

Let me start!

FURY

Check 'em out at www.fury.com.au

:)

3. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

http://www.disarmoniamundi.com/

Any fans of Soilwork should love these guys... their latest album is fucking killer! I actually rate it right up there with Natural Born Chaos!

Before anyone claims they're a rip-off, keep in mind, Speed is also in this band haha

4. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

I will suggest the band Power Quest.

Cheesy title and all however I think they are a really great band and they have a forum on UM. Some really great power metal and 80s style melodic hard rock. Some of the catchiest stuff ever!

http://www.power-quest.co.uk/
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197

Here is a brief run down from their homepage:
    Here are some full songs.

Far Away
    Edge Of Time
    Temple of Fire
    Find My Heaven

5. Lord Tim

If you suggest a band, can you post up some info about what they do, background and a link to their site? That way it's not just gonna be "hey, Vomit Snot is awesome!" kind of posts, it'll be proper info for people to see if it's something they'd like to check out...

6. Toby

Toby Cheesegrater Of Chastity

http://algol.ath.cx/~erik/lethal/index2.php

Pretty up-coming (I think/hope :p) Swedish thrash band. If you scroll down on that page there's a couple songs to download of poorish quality, but if you ever get a chance to hear anything from their "Deliverance" EP, then that stuff just owns.

7. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

ANATA http://www.earache.com/ or http://www.anata.se/

But in the beginning…
    Formed in Varberg, Sweden in 1993 by Robert Petersson (drums), Fredrik Schälin (lead guitar, vocals), Mattias Svensson (guitar) and Martin Sjöstrand (bass), Anata's penchant for penning unrelenting death metal with a razor-sharp sense of melody has always been an inherent trait in their songwriting. As the band grew as musicians and songwriters, the music shifted into a darker, more death metal direction. Performing live with Dissection, Lake Of Tears and Beseech, Anata also proved to be an intense live outfit. It was in this arena that the band honed their skills equivalent to that of their more experienced countrymen.

THE DEMO YEARS
    Anata's first demo, "Bury Forever the Garden of Lie", was recorded in June 1995. The recording was met with overwhelming success from the European press, and furthered the band’s visibility in the worldwide market. Yet, even with an acclaimed demo behind them and increasing interest from press and labels, guitarist Mattias Svensson and bassist Martin Sjöstrand left the band in 1996. In the same year, Anata found a new bassist in Henrik Drake. Ready for battle once again, Anata recorded their second demo, "Vast Lands of My Infernal Dominion" in 1997. The demo signaled a continued drive to venture faster into the depths of death metal, using the blueprint drawn and re-drawn by their American counterparts as a guide. By year’s end, the band found Andreas Allenmark to fill in as second guitarist.

"THE INFERNAL DEPTHS OF HATRED" (CD -98)
    The quality of "Vast Lands of My Infernal Dominion" landed in the hands of French label Season Of Mist, and only a year later Anata was in the studio recording their debut album. Titled "The Infernal Depths of Hatred", the album featured four songs from their second demo as well as four new tracks. Tracks like "Released When You’re Dead" and "Aim Not at the Kingdom High" ushered a move into thicker, bottom-heavy death metal while "Slain Upon His Altar" and "Dethrone the Hypocrites" maintained the band’s yearning for harmonic structure. As evidence of the album’s greatness, French magazine, Metallian, voted "Infernal Depths of Hatred", "Album Of The Month".

"DREAMS OF DEATH AND DISMAY" (CD 2001)
    The mounting praise from fans and critics alike didn’t stop Anata. Never one to rest on their laurels, Anata started writing for a second full-length. "Dreams of Death and Dismay" harnesses Anata's punishing songwriting abilities into 10 explosive songs of uncompromising, punch-you-in-the-throat aggressive death metal. Anata's fierce, all-over-the-fretboard riffing, however, never compromised the band's superb melodic sense. The seamless combination of musical elements and culmination of many years of experience shows that Dreams of Death and Dismay isn’t merely a death metal album with fantastic melodic purport, it’s an album that shows where the genre has been and where it’s headed. Anata is the future of intense, intricate metal.

"UNDER A STONE WITH NO INSCRIPTION' (CD 2004)
    In April 2001 drummer Robert Petersson left Anata and was replaced by Conny Pettersson, and the new line up signed to Wicked World in August 2002. Taking the best part of 2003 to record their latest album, the band eventually emerged from Studio Mega with the phenomenal 'Under A Stone With No Inscription', released in January 2004. Having developed their sound into something genuinely unique, the band suddenly found themselves bracketed with the likes of Cryptopsy, Dillinger Escape Plan and Meshuggah, so erratic and formula-free was the material on offer. Attracting praise from all quarters, the band set about embarking on their first UK tour with Decapitated, in March 2004, ending with a sold out show at London's Camden Underworld.

With material for the new album already completed, Anata's ascent into the elite of Death Metal looks assured

8. FrostbittenGrimness

Check out Farmakon. Similar to Opeth in alot of ways although they add more of a jazz/funk feel to some songs. They have a full album out now called "A Warm Glimpse".

They also have a board here on ultimatemetal though I was listening to them before that. They have a few mp3 tracks on their site at http://www.farmakonband.com/

9. WestHammer

WestHammer small member

do you mean fragments, or have they finished a new one since then

the fragments album is fucking killer yes.

and so is anata - been waiting for their new one for ages..

10. Toby

Toby Cheesegrater Of Chastity

I'll back that up, Anata definetely need more recognition. I managed to find Infernal Depths and Under A Stone With No Inscription for pretty damn cheap, still gotta check out their second release \m/.

11. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

Yeah I was referring to Fragments... I wish they'd get a fucking solid line-up together though and start gigging (not that it helps me with them being in Italy and me here haha)

12. WestHammer

WestHammer small member

yeah i read that speed was doing vocals for their next album a while back. so hopefully its out soon

13. Korensky

Korensky Go forth and DIE!

Ok here's a couple of my recommendations:

Kiuas
    http://www.kiuas.net/index.php?l=en

One of the best new bands I've heard in ages. Power metal band from Finland. Check out the samples on their site then go buy their album - The Spirit of Ukko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7WcduroZ4 - bootleg video of them on Youtube.com should give you a taste of their awesomeness.

Disillusion
    http://www.disillusion.de/
    I'm not great at playing the genre classification game but I guess I'd put these guys into the "prog/death" category. Awesome sound - similar in a way to Opeth but also very different... In fact I'm pretty sure there are some other Disillusion fans around this board already.

14. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

Angtoria www.angtoria.com or www.listenable.net

If you like Borknagar, Lacuna Coil and recent Dimmu releases check these guys out.

P.S. They do an awesome cover of Confide In Me by Kylie Minouge.

15. The Amazer

The Amazer Member

Old band that aren't around anymore, never really went anywhere and I don't have the energy to track down their self titled album from 1992...

but still just about the BEST MELODIC HARD ROCK I HAVE EVER HEARD.

Called Road Ratt... their singer went on to be the bassist for Freak Kitchen in 2000, and Mattias Eklundh contributed a solo to their song "Use The Lighter".

You can download 3 full length songs from here:

http://www.elektromotor.se/freakkitchen/downloads.htm

All absolutely TOP NOTCH :thumbsup:

16. Taliwakker

Taliwakker .....

:lol: i liked Road Ratt

17. The Amazer

The Amazer Member

USE THE LIGHTER TO LIGHT MY FIRE BABY!

WHY DON'T YOU SHOVE IT UP INSIDE HER!

18. The Amazer

The Amazer Member

Recently got informed of a band called GOJIRA (japanese translation for Godzilla)... they're french sorta death prog stuff.

But really really really REALLY damn awesome. And they sing about whales. How cool is that.

Many people say that they have a big SYL feel about them, I dunno... I just like it lots. Even the vocals aren't that bad (not a big fan of death voxx)

http://www.myspace.com/gojira

19. metal evilution

metal evilution Davestorm

��������������������
    A pretty cool Finnish power metal band AGONIZER.
    www.agonizer.org/
    They played in the Wacken tent recently and i think they have future potential.
    Also if you check out their links page you'll notice that even all the way in Finland they have heard of our local gayness.:)

HISTORY

Agonizer comes from Pyhäjärvi, Finland. The band has been together for six with the principal of playing melodic heavymetal with their own sound and style.

At the beginning (1998) Agonizer's line-up was as follows:

Olli Solitanner / Vocals
    Mika Heinonen / Keyboards / Back-up vocals
    J-P Perälä / Guitar
    Lasse Löytynoja / Guitar
    Jussi Tikka / Bass
    Toni Qvick / Drums

Agonizer recorded their first demo �Eternal night� at Studio Jambo in Iisalmi. The year was 1998 and the demo was critisised very well in finnish music magazine.

Next year 1999 they went to the famous Astia studio in Lappeenranta Finland. The Astia Studio is famous for example from being the â€�homestudioâ€� of Children Of Bodom. Agonizer made there their second demo â€�Last sign of lightâ€�. It also got very good reviews. Little after that, Olli Solitanner left from the band and there came the new vocalist Pasi Kärkkäinen. His singing style was totally different from the previous vocalist Olli and the band was very pleased about the new way of music that came along with new singer. Agonizer went to the Astia second time to record new vocals to the demo â€�Last sign of lightâ€� and made some gigs with Amorphis, Sonata Arctica and Children Of Bodom.

Year 2001 Agonizer recorded demo �Lord of lies� at Astia-studio. Demo was very well received by band, fans and reviews but record companies didn't noticed the band even thought the band tried very hard to be noticed.

At last at year 2002 the band was in the break of something when �Lord of lies� made it’s way to German to Century Media. Followed by six months of negotiation with the record company Agonizer was left again without the record deal.

Year 2002 agonizer also made new collection demo â€�Anthems of agonyâ€�. It was made from the previous demos. At the end of the summer 2002 Agonizer also had some changes when their guitar player Lasse Löytynoja left from the band and Joni Laine replaced him. Joni was again totally different musician than the previous guitar player and at the end band was very pleased about the new member. New songs with new different sounds and more ruff attitude became to emerge and at the spring of 2003 Agonizer went to Astia-studios to record new material. New demo â€�Cainâ€� was born. â€�Cainâ€� was again some sort of breakthrough to Agonizer. It won a title of months demo release in Finnish music magazine Rumba and was played and reviewed all over the world. Number of radio stations played it in German, Greek, Belgium, Netherlands, England, Brazil, Peru, Lithuan and Spain. Still in the fall of 2003 Agonizer was an unknown band.

At the fall of 2003 Agonizer decided to go again to Astia studios with new material. Purpose was to promote the band right from the start of spring. New demo whs labeled "World of fools". Because of better promotional gain Agonizer decided to release self-produced EP. There were two songs from demo "Cain" and those two songs from "World of fools" on the EP and it was named "World of fools" like the last demo. Release came at March 2004.

World of fools gave Agonizer lots of new gigs and great reviews around the world. Also Agonizer was in two collections at same year. Inferno-Magazine's Kiirastuli II and Enclave Records's Metal Ostentation V.

At the start of year 2005 Agonizer was selected to play at first Finnish Metal Expo. At the expo Agonizer took apart for the band contenst called "Hilselinko" and was selected from total 148 Finnish metal bands to play in finals with three other bands. As a result Agonizer was selected to play at Tuska-Festival's club. At expo Agonizer was forced to release their drummer because of long continued differences between the band and the drummer. For coming summer Agonizer got a great new drummer Atte Palokangas.

Line up at 2005.

Pasi Kärkkäinen (Modi) / Vocals
    J-P Perälä (Jazzo) / Guitar
    Joni Laine (Jonez) / Guitar + back-up screaming
    Mika Heinonen (Mike OD) / Keyboards + back-up vocals
    Jussi Tikka (Tuzah) / Bass

20. Aqualung

Aqualung You can't bring me down!

Huh? That's pretty random!