This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sweet Oblivion - The triumphant return of Geoff Tate?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Random Axe, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Random Axe

Random Axe Common Sense Man!

Their debut album coming is coming in June. It's got Simone from DGM and sounds pretty fantastic.

2. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

Just as Tobias proved with Avantasia..... The issue with Tate isn't his voice; it's his songwriting skills! Put him in with someone else writing the material and the guy still sounds great.

Personally, I prefer the Avantasia tunes to this one, but I have high hopes that the rest of this album will be stronger.

Azrael LenGraden likes this.
  3. Charlie Dudley

Charlie Dudley So where do we begin and what else can we say?

I agree with you about Avantasia being better. This sounds very similar to Hear in the Now Frontier. Hopefully it's better than that was.

4. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

This would be the best song on that album by a wide margin.

5. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

My issue with Tate has to do with him being an absolute fucking tool. Don't forget how and why Queensryche went bang. Fuck Tate. He doesn't deserve our money.

Tommy3328 and Sir Exar Kun like this.
  6. Charlie Dudley

You're not wrong. I actually re-listened to this album recently to see if I had missed any hidden gems. I didn't. Sad

He's a grade A douche for sure. 100% agree.

7. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

I did the same a year or so back with a buddy of mine (who honestly thought it was a GOOD album), and we both laughed through the whole thing. The only song that I think is redeeming is "You" (or "Upside Down" or whatever it was called) and even that really only qualifies as a good B-side. The rest of the album has a few moments where I can hear the potential for something cool at spots, but the way they chose to do it was garbage.

8. Charlie Dudley

"You" is solid but has no teeth. The whole album just sounds very generic and a band attempting to be something they're not. I guess we see why what happened with them happened. Glad they're back to kicking ass instead.

9. NorseBlood

NorseBlood franks n steins

Yeah but when is Bert coming out with a new album?

[​IMG]

All joking aside. The clip doesn't sound bad & I'm glad to see he is still singing. His voice still sounds good, but I probably won't be buying the album. Still, its an improvement for Geoff & I hope he comes out with a great album some day. He is going in the right direction with this new effort IMO.

#9 NorseBlood, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

More detail here....

SWEET OBLIVION Feat. GEOFF TATE To Release Self-Titled Debut In June; "True Colors" Music Video Streaming

"...Sweet Oblivion sees Tate teaming up with a stellar cast of Italian musicians led by Simone Mularoni, the mastermind of prog metal masters DGM. Musically, this album marks a return to the more melodic metal style for Tate and showcases a fine collection of songs highlighting the great talents of Mularoni and his cast of musicians.

Geoff Tate says, "I was approached by Frontiers to do this record and am pleased I took this chance. It’s an album filled with fun and I believe a lot of the fans who dig the old Queensrÿche sound will enjoy this one!”

Simone Mularoni adds, "I grew up listening to the '70s and '80s rock and metal bands and, of course, Queensrÿche's classic albums are among my favorites ever. Having the opportunity and luck of working together with a musical giant like Geoff Tate has been a real blessing on both the human and the artistic side. I asked a few amazing musicians and friends to help me out and together we delivered a bunch of classic heavy rock songs in which I tried to fuse a more contemporary approach with a classic Queensrÿche vibe… the performances are amazing!”

Geoff Tate - Vocals
    Simone Mularoni - Guitars and Bass
    Emanuele Casali - Keyboards
    Paolo Caridi - Drums...."

[​IMG]

11. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

12. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

13. MeTuLHeD

MeTuLHeD A Member To Remember

This is the killer disc I always knew he had in him. In my Top Ten for the year for sure.