This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Switched from 707TW to 81-7 on Hellraiser

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Mancha, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Mancha

Mancha Member

Not that I didn't like how 707TW sounds, I managed to get some great tones out of it, but I always felt there was something not quite right for my taste.
    Whenever I would convince myself that I should go ahead and get 81-7, I would find a way to kill the gas and think that I'm an idiot for wanting to change a pretty brutal sounding pickup.
    Also, from what I got from forums, difference wasn't really that big.

I finally gave in after a local EMG dealer had it in stock and on sale, and got one.

... and, I'm very happy I did. Difference indeed is not that huge, but that massive, overbearing low end on 707TW is just right on 81-7, nice and tight. Also, the pickup is generally cleaner, with less junk, and just a touch more bite, and much easier to dial in a good tone with.
    I was afraid it would be a bit on the fizzy side that I remember from my LP with 81, but it turned out to be perfect for all mahogany Hellraiser. I cleaned up the insides to fit another battery and it's far from flat sounding at 18V.
    Also, 81-7 pretty much kills 707 for leads.

Here's a really short clip.