This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sympathetic Vibration on Drums

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Studdy, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Studdy

Studdy Member

How do you guys deal with sympathetic vibration when tracking drums? For example when the kick drum is hit the toms give off some sound that is picked up in the overheads. Another common problem is the snares rattling when other drums are hit. Just curious if there are any tricks/secrets i dont know of. Obviously tuning, placement etc is all important when trying to reduce vibrations but even then it is impossible to 100% eliminate it. Look forward to this discussion, cheers \m/\m/

2. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

3. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

I'm interested in this as well. We normally use Moon Gels or anything that will help with vibrations but probably over half the time we end up killing the ringing but the drum is then too dead.

4. jeid

jeid Terribad

I like the snares rattling and the floor tom making vibrations, it's how drums sound. Keep it in I say.

5. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Snare rattle is good! Once you cut the bleed from the closemics on the toms you'll hear that rumble clear up and it shouldn't be a huge issue. The other option is to change up the tuning of either the kick or the toms.

6. MartijnPaauwe

MartijnPaauwe Member

Getting a set of double ply drum heads (Remo Emperor, Evans G2) on your toms definitely helps quite a bit in my experience. Furthermore placement and tuning helps

7. mstone564

mstone564 Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're augmenting samples stuff like that will still keep it sounding organic.

8. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

Moongel is a big one (bottom heads too) but if the drums are in tune (with each other) then the tom ring instantly becomes less annoying and gross. Plus what everyone else said (heads/mic placement/editing/etc.). Ultimately this is part of what a kit sounds like. Making it work for you is a healthier long term goal than simply trying to eliminate it which is impossible.

9. Machinated

Machinated Member

id say just tame it a little so its not an issue. if you worry about it too much you'll end up making your drums sound worse. a little bit of ringing usually makes drums sound better as thats what they naturally do. I only deal with stuff if its noticeably annoying. some drums are a pain in the arse admittedly.

10. Studdy

Studdy Member

Just toss it in the kick drum?

11. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

If it's sad enough it will eat it. I was bored.

12. mva801

mva801 Member

Don't focus on eliminating that entirely. The toms are going to ring and the snares are going to rattle no matter what. To minimize it, you have to experiment with a combination of dampening, tuning changes, snare wires & tightness, etc.

As long as the drums are tuned well and the drummer is hitting nice and hard, it shouldn't be too noticeable. Go listen to some old Led Zeppelin recordings, you can always hear the snare rattling when he's playing the toms. Of course metal requires a bit different drum sound, but a little cutting of bleed from the close mics and maybe a bit of a gate on the snare mics should tame it enough.