This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Techniques / theory discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Cooee

Cooee Member

Would a back brace be any good?

2. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

I've considered such a thing before.
    Actually I was just doing some audition recording for a possible project coming up and I'm relatively pain free with the position I was just in. I might run with that and see how I go.

3. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Does anyone have (in Guitar Pro format) some sweep picking exercises? Preferably 4 string and less. Or better still some metal songs they know use sweeping of 4 strings? I can only find 5+ :(

On a similar note. Does anyone know of any decent video's for sweep picking that focus on the bottom two strings? Specifically muting them after their note? And yes, i am trying slow; like...reallly slow.

Thanks.

4. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

No videos as such that I can think of, but you're more or less lifting the fingers on your fretting hand (like in a rolling action) while palm muting the strings with your picking hand as you go across. So as you sweep, you're playing the 6th string unmuted and then as you move to your 5th, your palm has already started to come across the strings and dampen the 6th string, and so on across the strings. It takes a bit of practice but this is absolutely the cleanest way to sweep when you combine it with a rolling fretting hand action.

5. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

If you watch Chris Brodericks Chaos Theory lesson you can learn a fair bit about sweep picking and the theory to it as well.

This first lesson is just about a basic interview but I think it is interesting to watch. Watch up until the 6th lesson and I am certain you would have learned something about sweep picking, he mentions briefly what Tim has spoken about above, but in reference to 8 finger tapping, but the same principle applies.

#605 cro4eva, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

Ah sweet, i'll watch that now, thanks! EDIT: Admittedly Megadeth has never done much for me, but i definately like this guy. Down to earth, honest, interesting dude.

Tim - you helped me realise where i'm stuck. Is the muting palm rolling or sliding over the strings? I'm guessing rolling to avoid string noise.....

7. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

I do both, but rolling is a much cleaner way and I tend to do that when I'm playing at my best.

8. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

you know that sort of hammer/pull palm sliding over the pickup's thing that Eddie and Zakk do a lot? i've been trying to do it but it's taking ages to get it down, if anyone on here can do it, any tips?

9. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

It's simple, if you aren't getting it, look at adjusting your tone on the amp. Don't push to hard as well, it should have the same pressure as palm muting.

#609 cro4eva, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015