This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Ascendence update thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Hey, everyone!

OK, as you probably know, the next LORD album is entitled "Ascendence".

Normally most bands either talk about their new album after it's released or maybe give updates as they're in the studio recording, etc. but what we'd like to do is involve you in the process from almost the start of the writing.

Both TY and Andy have a shitload of riffs and ideas on disc that they're sending me to sort through and see what we can piece together, as well as a lot of my own ideas that I've been collecting along the way, either on hard disc or in my brain (it's not unusual for me to have 4 or 5 entire songs in my head for months before I get a chance to get them down - that was the case with The Final Chapter for some songs).

What do we have so far?

4 pretty solid songs: 2 absolutely complete structures musically and 2 that are about half way sorted out.

I can give away a title of one of them: "Reborn." Heavy as all fuck, but really melodic. Think old Blind Guardian, Iced Earth and 80s trad metal all mixed into one.

Just finished another whole song demo tonight, this one was really kind of proggy but with a massive AOR chorus and cool syncopated drums. Me and TY had jammed on a lot of the feels for this in the rehearsal rooms over the last couple of months, so it's great to hear the ideas actually in a song rather than jamming riffs.

Apart from this, there's another 3 songs that I intend to try to get down in the next week or so. I'm sure once TY's and Andy's ideas turn up, there'll be more than an abundance of great material to work on and demo, and then give back to the guys to get their input.

There won't be a lot of updates about this stuff initially, so this thread might get a bit quiet every now and then, but we'll try to keep you all in the loop as to how it's all going.

Oh and psst.... the cover art is done and it looks fucking AWESOME! :D

Stay tuned! :)

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

You have artwork but no recorded songs yet? How very Myspace of you :p

3. FerretallicA

FerretallicA HMAS Slagdestroyer

You're too generous :lol:

Most intriguing part of that post so far is probably the artwork. If it's finished already I can't help but wonder what it looks like. The music... well... I'm still digesting "The Final Chapter" so that should last me until "Ascendance".

4. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Oh hell yeah! I love when this happens :cool:

Cheers LORD.

5. Lord Tim

We were asked by LMP to change the cover for TFC, so while we were at it, we commissioned the same artist to do a mockup for Ascendence. The initial draft came up so good we thought "Hey... this is really good - let's see where it takes us" and the next thing we know...

The other thing is that we knew we'd be pushing out a LORD album ASAP too. It's great having a Dungeon album that's along the lines of LORD's direction and featuring LORD members, but at the end of the day, it's not a LORD album so we can't really push it as hard as a proper LORD album. With so much stuff going on with tours (and now new members), we wanted to tie up as many loose ends as soon as possible, such as the artwork.

What's great about the art is that it's gonna make most people go "holy fuck, I didn't expect that" and shock people enough to actually sit down and listen to the album, rather than trying to think of it in a particular way. LORD always had an unfair stigma attached as being a "lighter, not as good Dungeon". This album is nothing like APJ and with such a different cover, it'll definitely make people change the way they think of what LORD is about.

PS: Regarding LMP and TFC... there'll be questions answered about that soon too, in another thread. :)

6. FerretallicA

FerretallicA HMAS Slagdestroyer

Probably reading into things a bit but I'm getting a distinct sense of concept album about "Ascendance"

7. Lord Tim

Nah, not a concept album but there is an underlying theme running through a lot of it so far. :)

8. Lord Tim

Whew, big night - pushed out another song... lots of cool harmonies and a hook in the chorus you'll never get out of your head - and you thought Better Man was bad! :p

Sleep now! :eek:

9. Fester

Fester Member

Is LORD contracted for this album? Or is this the album that's going to get LORD contracted... because I remember you saying TFC ties up things with labels... or was that just LMP it tied things up with, and you're still contracted with Modern Invasion...

10. Lord Tim

LORD is signed to Modern Invasion worldwide and we're negotiating sub-licensors around the world now for Ascendence.

TFC was the final contracted album to LMP for Dungeon.

11. Davies

Davies Manswos

Wow, this sounds awesome!!

12. Stormster

Stormster Somewhere Far Beyond

Reborn sounds very promising.

13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

Is there going to be a song with harsher vocals? I loved Traumatised and was hoping there was going to be something similar on TFC.

14. Lord Tim

Yeah, likely... there's an 80s thrasher in the works... ;)

15. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

16. DirTh

DirTh The Puppet Master

Sounds good, will you be posting any samples of some of the songs when you start the recording?

17. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Sounds good LT, can't wait to hear the new material...and yes, the cover art looks great. :)

From the sounds of it "Reborn" will certainly kick ass, can't wait to hear the finished product.

18. Lord Tim

Yeah, we'll be likely putting up very short teaser samples of the demos for a short period of time, like we did with TFC.

We're aiming for about 10 or 11 or so songs this time. The songs on TFC were generally much longer than what we're doing on Ascendence so we'll need more to give you guys value for money. Of course, what we end up with is what we end up with - we never "over write" the album and have an abundance of material; it's always our best work for everything we do that makes it on there.

19. DirTh

DirTh The Puppet Master

Great looking forward to it.

20. Lord Tim

Well... spent the best part of tonight working on the thrasher. Really cool stuff - think old Slayer / Kreator / Destruction kind of stuff so far, but with a really catchy chorus! :)

Andy's ideas disk arrived here yesterday too and there's some awesome shit on there which will work great in a lot of the song ideas I have in mind.

Gonna be a hell of a diverse album again, but that's what we enjoy most! :)