This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Detective Clarence Beauregard, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

Maybe you're right. I'll listen to their discog again.

2. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

I have one Winds album, and the drumming ruined it for me too! I don't care for Hellhammer's style at all.

3. Postulate

His drumming fits very well in pretty much every other band he's in, though.

4. Liquid Tension

I have a bunch of their discs and listen to them especially at work.

5. Liquid Tension

Pease look up the "solid" releases I gave you the last time I disagreed with you about this....

Some things never change so I expect you to make this same assumption next year no matter how many examples you're given...

6. Liquid Tension

I'm also in the camp that doesn't care for the drumming on the Winds discs and hope that Andy tries someone else if he makes anymore...

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Obey my dog!

I guess there must be many definitions of progressive...I wasn't aware of that.

How can you actually recall or recollect any such interaction? I don't even recall who you are. Guess it's not a priority...I'll look it up some other century when I have absolutely nothing to do.

8. Liquid Tension

It's very easy to remember the very few who make such an ignorant claim that you keep doing about progressive music out here year after year....

I feel bad for you

Some thing never change but hopefully you will...

9. schenkadere

schenkadere Obey my dog!

Yes...people's opinions of "progressive" metal can be life changing...you've shown me the way through your empathy. Thank you.

10. Sep3

Sep3 Member

They are refreshing to listen to once in a while, but I like heavier stuff. The vocalist is technically very good, but the unorthodox style (in metal) kinda pushes me off too.

11. Capitao

Capitao New Metal Member

After going through the whole Fates Warning discography after "No Exit", I realized why I never got back to them: simply they lost that "magic" atmosphere and inspiration we could find on their first three albums. Their sound got too clean, artificial and emotionless. I very much like the rhythmic sections of the drums and bass, but all the rest lacks context and feeling. Nevertheless, "Disconnected" and "FWX", the last two albums, caught my attention as they present a band much more heavier and inspired. All the other albums between "No Exit" and these two just made me sleepy. Possibly this is the reason no other band followed their steps.

Of course this is my own opinion. Now excuse me, I must go clean my ears and format my mind with my faves: Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, Riverside, etc, etc... (or else I wouldn't stop, eheh)

12. Marwen

Marwen Five Align

Captain Holier Than Thou strikes again. :lol:

13. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

I really hated No Exit and Awaken The Guardian. It's not to do with the vocal style. It's to do with the arrangement and songwriting. It's immature sounding to me. Standard metal flavors.

Disconnected, FWX, APSOG, Parallels - these were quite good. Especially APSOG.

14. Postulate

It is immature. But it is still amazing.

15. Capitao

Capitao New Metal Member

Indeed is immature, never said it wasn't. And the production of those first 4 albums was shitty, but somehow they have a very special feeling and Archer's singing, although not perfect, had something Alder never had. Maybe it's that rawness in the sound and singing that made them so damn delicious. And as in life, growing more mature usually takes away all the fun, don't you think? Of course experience also brings perfection. Anyway, Fates Warning were the first real prog metallers and we owe them all the respect they deserve.

16. Postulate

Definitely agreed...a lack of maturity often means exploring paths that mature artists will neglect outright. But I do think that they aged well in many respects.

17. Capitao

Capitao New Metal Member

Trying to find new stuff on Youtube, I came across these guys. Finally someone had this awesome idea of mixing metal with one of my favourite styles: Flamenco. They are american, from Florida, I think. Anyone knows this?

#177 Capitao, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  18. LittleTortillaBoy

The new Van der Graaf Generator album "Grounding in Numbers" is out!

19. arielletheend

arielletheend New Metal Member

Hi Everyone, I’m from The End Records and just thought I’d share this amazing offer we have going with you guys. We have these insane pre-order bundles exclusively through The Omega Order for Dream Theater’s highly-anticipated new album “A Dramatic Turn Of Events.” We have 4 bundles and they are all on sale! Check these amazing offers out: http://www.theomegaorder.com/DREAM-THEATER-A-Dramatic-Turn-Of-Events

20. manticore999

manticore999 Member

Me too ... can't stand POS but if someone else loves 'em, so what?