This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

the "classics" are sometimes crap

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by monoxide_child, Jun 19, 2011.

1. orcslayr23

orcslayr23 Member

I don't care if you like LOTR or not. I don't care if you enjoy Tolkien's writing style or not. I don't care if you think Eragon is a masterpiece. I'm not bashing you because you have an opinion different than mine. I'm bashing you because of your ridiculous mentality that essentially EVERYONE who says they like LOTR is lying and is too afraid to admit that they don't like it, and if you read my responses/your own posts you would know that is what I mean.

I deem this topic officially CLOSED (on my end at least). Feel free to post other stuff here if you'd like but i've said all I wanted to say on this topic.

2. caex

caex Member

Tolkien has nothing on Robert Jordan when it comes to descriptive writing, to name one other fantasy author. As for some points in this thread:

1. LotR is not the best fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire series is indeed better, but it's still better than Eragon

2. Heath Ledger dying has nothing to do with the fact that he was amazing as the Joker. Even if he hadn't died, I would still say that

3. I don't find Lord of the Rings hard to read at all, and being easy to read doesn't necessarily make a book better

3. monoxide_child

monoxide_child New Metal Member

as far as i've seen, the specific people that hate Eragon think that Wheel of Time and A Song of Fire And Ice are both better series than Tolkien's middle-earth, most of the people that i've found that think "LOTR is the greatest book of all time" are people that read romances or whatever where LOTR is the only book that they've read that's actually in the "high fantasy genre"

heath ledger's death increased the amount of money TDK made at the box-office, period. trying to debate that is wasting your breath

i don't understand why people seem to hate the books that are easier to read than LOTR

also
    Tolkien spent his entire freaking life doing the world-building for middle-earth and people use that as an excuse to say it's good

that it must be good because tolkien spent so much time making it

but really
    i feel the opposite way
    a book should flow out of you onto the paper
    a book should be written because the story and characters are swimming incessantly in your mind and you'd go crazy if you didn't write it out on paper
    i remember in the 90s when they had these horror books that had the month in the copywrite date where each author was contractually obligated to write 3 books a year
    and they were able to make those deadlines!!!
    that's how books should be written

4. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

BlackMetalWhiteGuy Manly Man!

5. monoxide_child

i've seen this list already (or maybe just lists like this), but i had totally forgotten which books were on the list

6. prozak

prozak Cross Inverter

I'm not sure Tolkien wanted to be "epic fantasy." He wanted to be literature that reinvented mythology. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

7. monoxide_child

like i said

didn't have a problem with content, i had a problem with the writing style

love the content, therefore loved the movies

the writing style was crappy to the point that i have to say
    LOTR movies >>>>>> LOTR books

8. Jason Silver

Jason Silver New Metal Member

The writing style is genius?

9. monoxide_child