This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The compression question thread

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Metaltastic, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

Just found out about that thread. Decided to resurrect it. Awesome info in here.

2. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

Wondering about that also, since i've always read something along the lines of "distorted guitar sounds are quite compressed already so you wouldn't wanna compress it even more" but i guess that applies to compression as a "volume raising" tool, not as a "attack emphasizer/thickener" tool, which is what the question is about here, unless i misunderstood.

3. mephisto_loh

mephisto_loh Green Tea Member

On Wednesday i got Audio class, I'm going to shoot this to the teacher and i'll write the results.
    To all who has read this thread, what kind of use has the multi band compression? Once I've heard that in mastering is a useful tool when you receive a bad mix. Is one of the latest resources to balance a little the mix and then make the mastering process. Does anyone here has some more applications for the multi-band compression?.

4. vaiman

vaiman Member

Just reading one of the links posted. Quote from the “The Mixing Engineer’s Handbook”, I found it funny as I have been guilty of this.

“Vocal: a good starting place for a lead vocal is 4:1 ratio, medium attack and release, and a threshold set for
    about 4 to 6 dB of gain reduction.”

Many of us read that as:
    “Vocal: Blah blah blah, 4:1 ratio, blah blah blah blah blah.”

5. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

Multiband compression (with the Waves C4 plugin for instance) is widely used to tame low mids on rythm guitars when needed.