This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

The Downfall of Symph

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by GammaZed, Feb 28, 2015.

1. GammaZed

GammaZed New Metal Member

After lisening to all of sx albums over and over i can not blind for the fact that on the two, and the specialy the last album. Russels vocals have gone on the rougher side and that is what i think is the difference in todays SX to the past.
    I draw similarities to Bruce Dickinsons last record with Iron Maiden in the early 90´s

2. Drahcir

Drahcir Member

That, and they take 4-5 years between albums. That's plenty of time for fans to lose interest and move on with their lives and other music. I did not particularly like their last 2 albums either. Also the short and disproportionate setlists. Yeah, it's not very fun being a Symphony X fan (IMO).

3. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

You don't have to be a fan. You can become a Soen fan instead, or Leprous, or Summoning, or Arcturus, or....

4. Neva Kee

Neva Kee Member

Can these bands really be compared to the "old" Symphony X?
    I know only Leprous myself (and like them for what they are), but I would never consider them very likely to Symphony X...and when reading small bits about those other bands, the term "Death Metal" seems to come up a lot, which Symphony is absolutely not.

5. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Broaden your horizons.

Or don't. Google "bands like Symphony X". It's not hard to move on when a band you enjoyed stops making music.

6. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

Liking different types of music is actually pretty cool! I recommend everyone should try it!

7. Neva Kee

Neva Kee Member

I can very much support that last statement. My question was just pointing out that a SX "fan" might not find what they are expecting with those bands mentioned... not that they might not like what they hear there instead.

8. Indestructible

Indestructible New Metal Member

Sym X is a very inconsistent band - they arent very good at releasing things in time and yeah the long wait between albums can be a pain for some people. But, part of being a good metal fan is that you can pick yourself up and listen to other things while you are "waiting" for something else to release/happen. Sym X fans are like fans who "try" to be real fans of the band but fail to do so because the band just many times let the fans down with their fake announcements and unholy wait times between album releases.

If you want to be a fan of a band that is consistent, always stays true to their promises, etc - Dream theater's a good example. They dont make fans wait for too long and they are well-connected with them too. Look, since like Six Degrees they've been keeping a consistent album release cycle of only 2 years between studio albums, and they never disappointed with that. That's a good example of a band that stays true to their promises and appreciates their fans for their love/support. I'm not saying Sym X doesnt appreciate altogether, but you dont feel that as much compared to other prog metal bands.

9. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

If you're hankering for SX-like music, George Bellas' latest album is pretty good and in that vein. All instrumental, but similar in spirit, maybe more 'proggy.'

10. iishrak

iishrak New Metal Member

Their downfall is the DIY production starting with Iconoclast. Odyssey and PL had their flaws, but at least you could listen to a track without fast forwarding halfway through. They are also clearly NOT a prog metal band anymore.

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

I don't think there was a time in which they were prog metal, I always considered them as "hard rock melodic power",and I was always open minded with them,for me "PL" and "iconoclast" were good works and this one ,listening
    expecially "without you"is getting me anxious ,at last I consider myself happy instead of many metal fans that only live expecting the last maiden or metallica. Of course ,if you ask me their best cd I'll answer v or dwot ,but,reading forums on italian metal sites,the expectation for this cd is great for many people in italy,at first they were a little bit disappointed by "evermore " but "without you " now is better for them.Let's see

12. PrgrsveMetalnChains

PrgrsveMetalnChains Vocal Prince

True statement. I recently have gotten into a few new (to me) bands such as Porcupine Tree, Ghost (Who I'm really enjoying), newer Opeth, Joe Bonamassa. It's quite refreshing listening to different genres and artists.

Ghost alone, I mean for what those guys are doing, it's very entertaining and is some pretty solid music/songwriting as well. Lyrically it's sort of a joke as they have admitted, but most of the tracks are pretty solid for what they are.

13. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

Check out Haken's Visions album, and it you like it, check out their album The Mountain (it's a little more experimental)
    Check out Circus Maximus albums, too.

Nothing really sounds like old SX, but this is as close as you can get.

I prefer the Leprous style more these days, but I love Haken and Circus' album Nine.

For me, SX went hugely downhill with PL, and solidified that downfall with Iconoclast. The two singles from Underworld do nothing for me, sadly.

14. Xtopher

Xtopher Creation's menace

Haken man, motherfucking Haken. They are the best prog metal band at the moment for me.

15. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

I think if you listen to the new album that perception will be put to rest, but bear in mind that Russell has always mixed Angry Russ with Clean Russ vox on every album.

Bear

16. Krondor

Krondor Member

It's funny how some people think that the band owes you something. Actually, not even "something", but they have to make you an awesome album, that's exactly to your liking, comes out every 2 years etc. This is crazy :Spin: some people even get mad that THEY have to wait 5 years for an album... :Shedevil:

17. GammaZed

GammaZed New Metal Member

I rest my case! Legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Hammer of Serious Anger

The song Crystallized may very well be one of my top progressive metal songs of all time.

19. anonym115

anonym115 Member

You know, I haven't heard a Haken song I liked yet, but Crystallized was sweet.

20. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Hammer of Serious Anger

The part at 9:16 in Crystallized is one of the most unique things I've heard in music, ever. It helps that I was literally walking through the snow when I first heard it, too.