This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The games/gaming discusion thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Ave.
    Got permission from Tim to start a few new 'Official' threads and here is the first.
    As the title suggests, this thread is dedicated to all things Games and Gamings. From consol to computer, from Ultra Modern to Retro. If its games related, post it here.

So, to kick it off, a game recommendations

Shadow Of The Colossus PS2

This is a new game from the makers of the landmark RPG, ICO, and retains many of the features that made that game great and annoying. Namely: amazing graphics, stunning music and frustrating control faults.
    The story, as game goes, is very simple. A young man (whom the manual refers to as 'Wanda') wishes to restore the soul of a woman but, in order to appease the God who will fulfil this act, he must slay all the Colossi in the land.
    And that is the entire game.
    Find these Colossi and kill them.
    But it's not as simple as all that.
    No.
    In order to kill them, you must first find their Soul Spot -their weak point- and then reach them. That is the very hard and frustrating part. Because these soul spots are always some where high on the Colossus and they are just that -COLOSSUS! These beasts are huge and trying to find the best way to reach the Soul Spots (for there are often more than one) can take ages.
    This is not a game for speed but for strategy. You need to view your enviroment, the Colossus and the Soul Spot before you can do anything and then there is actually reaching the acursed Soul Spot.
    This is a game all about the basics. There are no massive dungeons to explore and conquer. No evil fiends that hinder your way. And no magic items you have to find. All there is, is you, your sword and bow, your trusty Steed, Argo, and those bloody uge Colossi to contend with. Even the graphics and music (though beautiful) are sparse. The landscapes are huge and empty (though well rendered with little touches such as lizards and birds, plants and shifting dirt when you or the Colossi move) but that all goes with the feel of the game.
    The bad points of the game is a touch of sloppiness in the control mechanics -especially when you have to battle a Colossus and get throw off. The camera is also a pain because it can focus on the wrong thing at the most wrong time -such as when a Colossus attacks and you have to dodge or are jumping from ledge to ledge.
    Though, they are small things to contend with but this is not a game for the easily furstrated.
    I's recommend this game to anyone who loved Legend Of Zelda: Ocarena of Time (the games have some paralells in production and game play).

Well, that is all from I right now.
    So, start your posting.

Peace
    The Pimp NeonBlack

2. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

I got Commandos 3 for christmas but still haven't had the chance to play it yet. I'd highly suggest anyone who likes strategy based action games to check out the entire series.

Start at the beginning though... there is a massively steep (and sometimes) frustrating learning curve involved. And don't expect a "run around and blow shit up" style game.... the key here is planning, stealth and distraction.

My personal favourite move is setting up the Green Beret's decoy radio in a snow field and burying him a metre or two away. Work quickly and quietly and you can knock out or stab up to three guards without them even realising!

3. The Amazer

The Amazer Member

I have one word for all of you, be you PS2, XBox or PC gamers...

and that word is:

PSYCHONAUTS

4. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon

Armageddon comes for MK universe on Xbox, PS2; fighter roster includes more than 60 characters from series.
    The first details of the follow-up to Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks have surfaced, and the news will please fans of the franchise's lengthy and diverse roster of fighters. "All the characters from Mortal Kombat fighting history," totaling more than 60 playable characters, will be included in the game, according to the latest issue of Game Informer.

For those who would rather put their own spin on a fighter, a Create-a-Kombatant option has been added that lets gamers pick facial features, wardrobe, and even maneuvers for their pugilist. The fatality system will be "reinvented," and midair combos and directional throws will also be included.

Mortal Kombat: Armageddon is scheduled for release on the Xbox and PlayStation 2 in October.

This looks to be the best MK game ever made, I saw afew screen shots of the Beta version not to long ago and it looks amazing. In total there are 60+ characters at you're disposal, all of the areas ever known in the MK universe including the Pit, Acid Pool, The Armory, Scorpian's lair and many others.

Also included is a option to customize you're fatalities...to put it simply you can create you're own fatalities, with some minor setbacks of course. :p

Check out the MK: Armageddon site in afew week, it only recently became active and there is only the MK dragon logo displayed on the site.

http://www.mkarmageddon.com/

This will be the seventh installment to the MK franchise.

5. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

As much as I'd like to hope it won't, you just KNOW the new MK game is going to suck. In my eyes, the series died after Ultimate MK3 on the SNES/Mortal Kombat II. All the 'next gen' 3D games have fucking sucked and don't work because, like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat is, and should always be, a 2D fighter.

On a related note, Capcom need to bring out Street Fighter IV or something. I've started playing Alpha III (PSX) again, and it's fucking awesome. The VS Marvel/SNK games come nowhere near topping it.

After kicking my World of Warcraft addiction, I've started playing Diablo II again. I dunno how the fuck Blizzard do it, but their games are damn addictive, and totally playable even after 5-6 years. Digital crack, or something. My mates have all migrated to City of Heroes/City of Villains, which sounds pretty damn cool. I mean, shit:

[​IMG]

6. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

*wishes he had a spare computer and spare few hours to play Unreal Tournament and MAME games* :(

7. The Amazer

The Amazer Member

Q3A > UT

*aaah... the Metallica vs Megadeth debate of gamers...*

8. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

How awesome is MAME, im addicted to that emulator. :)

I would like to see someone beat my score on Gigawing...

19082103498432054075349059 <-No Shit...this is my actually score. :p

9. Rick

Rick Senior User

Steaming pile of shit > Quake Series.

Playin alot of Americas Army lately. Also, BF: Vietnam, San Andreas, Hitman3: Contracts & Underground 2...

10. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

q3a is so fucking terrible.

Yay for Mame.

I am playing this completely asian game atm called Stepmania. www.stepmania.com

Download metal songs for it and play.

11. 1AZRAEL1

1AZRAEL1 ...

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was awesome, on some levels, you cant just go in guns blazing, u have to use stealth.

also, one of my favourite games series of all time is the legacy of kain.
    soul reaver 2 was awesome, and defiance was totally awesome.
    getting to use kain with the soul reaver, with all his cool powers was wicked.

12. KoichCPA

KoichCPA Banned

Tony Hawk American Wasteland on the cube.

also, puzzle bobble on the psp. PSP's are awesome for the sole purpose of having a decent handheld MAME device.

13. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

The PSP is an emulator fan's best friend. My lil bro's one has tons of shit on it.

14. Arcane

Arcane Member

Mame is awesome, I have an arcade machine with a pc in it running mame :)

I've just started playing EVE-Online again, which is a fantastic space MMORPG. I kicked my World of Warcraft habit for the moment.

Oh and both Q3A and UT have their moments :)

15. flip`

flip` Your mother was a hamster

I played World Of Warcraft for about a year but got sick of it because there are too many complete wanks that play it.

I should really get back into FPS though, and back into 3d Level Design for games.. which is what I was good at.

16. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Ive recently got back into good old DOOM.

I downloaded Doom 95, II and a few other things.

I havn't played the Newest one, but I want to check it out.

Also, Anyone played Call Of Duty?

Its awesome, kinda like CS on multiplayer, but alot more fun. Some of the levels are huge, and the gameplay is awesome. (This was on PC btw) I might be goin off to play it nect tuesday with a few mates :D

17. Ikil

Ikil Member

I have an addiction to sports games and Star Wars Battlefront I and II.

I got the new Rugby game yesterday, no different to the last one, but yeah, still alright.

18. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Yeah, the number of fucking douches on any given WoW server is mind boggling. For every decent person you find, there are 10 arsebeards... Which is one of the reasons why I quit. The others being that I'm on dialup, I have no money, and end game content's pretty fucking shitty when you have to spend like 4 hours a day 4 days a week with 39 angry nerds to do it. Nerds that make you listen in on their vent server, and go nuts if you fuck up.

...It's good fun if you play with a group of friends, though.

19. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

It was awesome, about three years ago or at least until Call of Duty II came out.

20. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

The one game I can't wait for and have been waiting for fucking ever for is the new Zelda: Twilight Princess game for the cube which I think is finally due in April. I'm a HUGE fan of the Zelda series and I can't wait for this. I won't go to tafe for a week just so I can play it. April seems so far away...