This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The games/gaming discusion thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

W00t! Fuck RBN though, I really hope this sees a PS3 release (RBN is 360 first, then the 'popular' songs get released for Wii and PS3. Apparently the authoring group thats charting the stuff have said they're also bringing Addicted! out. And Rock Band 3 is only a week away :D

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

3. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

just started playing Resonance of Fate

interesting game
    hard to get back to a game that actually punishes you when you screw up, not hold your hand and make it simple
    if you die there is a cost for starting again, if you want to start with full charges, it's a greater cost
    the combat is hard to get your head around at first too, so spent ages grinding away to get the hang of it and am getting there

people often attack J-RPGs these days for a "lack of freedom" (not being sandbox games and not giving you a million choices that all end up doing the exact same thing) but find that if the game is tight and focused, it's fine because it delivers you along, not just makes you randomly look for stuff and get lost trying to get from point A to b (looking at you here Brutal Legend!)

think I'll enjoy this game a lot but after reading a review of Fallout: New Vegas last night, know that too pulls at me like nothing else!

4. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

I'm REALLY looking forward to this. I was planning on picking up an acoustic for myself as a Christmas present to teach myself on, now I'll have my own interactive tab book to learn with, heh.

5. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Just picked up Vanquish for $50 at Ozgameshop. The game looks amazing. Great shooter with only a single player campaign and heaps of replay value. Mick, this game may interest you.

I think I bought the last copy but the website has some amazing deals with free shipping. They sell European PAL versions and some open NTSC versions of games, but 95% of the games will work on PAL Australia Xbox360 and PS3 consoles.

http://www.ozgameshop.com

#3365 black_tooth_grin, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  6. TROOPER MICK

TROOPER MICK Member

:yow:thanks mate i will be buying this today......;)

7. Shadow298

just checking that those prices are in AUS Dollars

because they're cheaper than my former staff discount at JB's

though can't find the new fallout game on the 360 on their site :(

8. Shadow298

gave in with my b'day money and brought Fallout: New Vegas

haven't played it yet but will no doubt invest a lot of time into it

reviews are all high and positive
    the new hardcore mode sounds interesting
    where you have to do everything Bear Grills: Man vs Wild style -eat, drink and sleep to function proper. to heal limbs you need to use doctor's kits (not stimpacks) or see a doctor. all healing stuff takes time to take effect and the game is generally much much harder as it is made more real
    might give it a go if I want a really challenge

9. black_tooth_grin

The PC version of Fallout: New Vagas is only $40. Just a heads up the game has ALOT of bugs. Bethesda are working on uploaded patches and fixes over the next couple of days to fix it. The same thing happened with Fallout 3. Problems include slow frame rate and odd glitches like moonwalking dogs, NPC's get stuck in the roof of certain buildings and other hilarious glitches. I'm going to pick that up next when I'm finished with Vanquish. Hopefully by then the problems will be solved.

I hired Medal of Honor and Kane and Lynch 2 this evening.

I was expecting so much more from Medal of Honor. Its honestly has been built up way to much contrary to what people have been saying about it. The game itself is pretty generic with its patriotic, yet subtle hatred towards the Taliban and anyone who wears a turban.

The campaign is short, repetitive and lacks any finesse to bring you back for more. The difficulty is way to easy, even on hard, enemies seem to just shoot in all directions giving you the opportunity to take head shots with minimal tracer fire.

The graphics are no marvel. It seems to use the same engine as Bad Company 2, but it looks really butchered. Controls are either to stiff or to fluid, depending on what weapons you use. It's odd, I used a standard AK47 and the gun seemed to move really slow, yet when I equipped a 50 cal. machine gun you couldn't aim for shit as the sensitivity is way to high. They must have calibrated the weapons in the wrong order or something. :confused:

Missions are pretty straight forward. Check points are laid out on a predetermined path. Occasionally you'll come across moments where you need to stop and sniper a group of people or use heavy artillery to move to the next way point.

The only good thing about the game is probably the multiplayer. It has similar characteristic to that of the Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2. Maps are small, but packed to the brim with action (depending how many people are playing). Upgrading is pretty straight forward compared to either game I mentioned in the later. 3 classes on both teams. Assault, Spec-Ops and Sniper. They have included vehicles such as tanks, but you can't mow around the desert like you can in Bad Company 2 as the battlefields are quite small and narrow. I'd definitely hire this before you buy it. It honestly lacks a lot of features which I was hoping they'd include, like bigger maps for multiplayer and a upgrade system unique to that of MW2. Having said that you can still play either MW2 or BC2 and have the same fun, if not more, compared to playing Medal of Honor.

I haven't really played Kane and Lynch 2 properly but its growing on me. It's fucking hard though. haha!

10. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

While awesome, I hate this whole marketing thing where it teaches you how to play guitar. FFS if you wanna learn guitar pick up a real guitar, probably cheaper.

Still this should be fun. :D

11. black_tooth_grin

12. Shadow298

I got it today

one thing that pissed me off is that the DLC code won't be active until 10 AM tomorrow (Friday) because of the yanks
    but the game is good. some quirks and such but they are meant to be patching very soon
    I haven't even touched the main story quest yet
    just exploring the area that I'm in, finding stuff and stumbling on other missions. even found my first companion without realising it

all pretty epic so far, plus all the faction and rep stuff

might be a long timer game like the last and you know that there will be more DLC stuff out for it (on the 360 at first of course)

13. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I like the idea of learning how to play guitar through Rock Band, for it's the only way I ever will now. That new system does look very impressive.

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

Debating whether to get Rock Band 3 or Power Gig.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Gig

Those air drums look bizarre but would be wicked fun if they worked well, the interface looks good, and yeah it would just be kind of nice to play something other than Rock Band or Guitar Hero for a while.

The whole kit (stringed guitar, air drums, mic, game) would cost about $260 imported from Barnes and Noble. Lot of money to gamble on an unknown quantity.

Whereas Rock Band 3 would cost about $100 to get the Keyboard from amazon.com, and then about $70 to get the game from cduniverse.com

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

15. black_tooth_grin

Hired Mafia 2, Fallout: New Vagas and Deadrising 2 last night.

Mafia 2 is pretty good. It reminded me a little of the Godfather, yet has a more compelling story (the game I mean). Controls are pretty easy and generally responsive. Covering system is similar to Gears of War 2 and is very responsive.

I'm up to chapter 6 at the moment and for some reason I think the game is rather small. The game is set on a linear path with not much to do outside of your regular missions. You can buy clothes, guns and hang out at a bar now and then, but there isn't any mini games aside from collecting Playboy magazines and wanted posters around the city.

It seems like the kind of game that you'd finish and never play again.

Fallout: New Vagas is pretty impressive. It's crammed a lot more gameplay and extra content than I originally thought. The story is a little fuzzy at first as you have no idea whats going on, aside from waking up half dead in a shallow grave.

Aside from the minor glitches that I saw the game is pretty good. Its harder than Fallout 3, even though I have the difficulty set on normal. There is a "hardcore" more which makes ammo have weight, dehydration a major factor of gameplay and stimpack and medikits work over time rather than instantly and other difficulties ramped up.

Once I actually buy the game and get into it I'll probably give this mode a proper go. In all I gotta say I'm very impressed. The graphics are a little outdated, but its got some amazing gameplay which will surely overlook the outdated game engine. I even noticed small things that I remember from Fallout 2, like the xander root and broc flower to make a healing powder. Even when listening to the ambient music I noticed samples from Fallout 2.

I'm sure this game will take up most of my time. That's if I ever get any to play it.

Deadrising 2 is pretty much like the first one. Updated graphics are the only major improvement aside from a cool customizable weapon system. I have yet to use it though, but I honestly got sick of this game to quickly. I don't know what it is, but I had the same problem with the first game. Maybe in due time I can give it a proper go.

Review of Rock Band 3.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-rock-band-3/706751

16. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

Is it more or less the same as Fallout 3? As great as it was, probably won't bother with the newie unless it's substantially different.

Just downloaded the Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit demo, and it might be the first NFS game I've actually bought in a long time. It's heaps of fun. The driving feels very similar to Burnout Paradise (which is fine with me), graphics are great, and it just has that same fun and over-the-top feeling that the older ones did. Good stuff.

17. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Hmmm both would be fun. The new Rock Band instruments would be a different experience to normal RB anyway.

On Power Gig - "the game is presently able to only handle 2 note chords". Will you want to play chords with more than 2 notes?

The drums could be a lot of fun!

18. black_tooth_grin

It is essentially like Fallout 3, yet more of a challenge. I found Fallout 3 way to easy with its unbalanced leveling. This time round it seems fair and more of a challenge with its hardcore mode included. It's seriously not for the fainthearted.

If I were you I'd wait til the game of the year edition is released. There is still to many bugs which make the game unplayable at the moment, plus you're not really missing out on much as the add-ons have not been released yet.

19. cowboy

cowboy Member

Exactly what we intend to do Anwar - got so many other games to play through at the moment that we wouldn't be able to get to New Vegas for a while, so may as well wait for the GOTY edition :)

20. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member