This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The games/gaming discusion thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Feb 15, 2006.

1. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Just finished Deus Ex on the hardest setting. Loved the game, though the motion capture in cutscenes was disturbing. The boss fights are bad, but overall the game was a lot of fun. Now I need to consider whether or not to go for the steam achievement of finishing the game with nobody dying by my hand...

In other news I am seriously considering buying sniper elite two which unlocks in May. The first one was a breath of fresh air among hand-holding FPS games. Sniper Ghost Warrior I'm looking at you! :bah:

2. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

A lot of people had the same issue with Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The game is flawless apart from the horrid boss fights. The boss fights were hand balled to another development team. Hence the no thought process of boss battles.

...and wow!

#3602 black_tooth_grin, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  3. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

#3603 cro4eva, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  4. AussieTerry84

AussieTerry84 \m/ Scanner Scrag \m/

If your wanna play the next big game e.g "Minecraft" go to Steam, wondering why ArmA 2 Combined Operations is suddenly in the top five? Buy it for $30, good now go to www.dayzmod.com to get the mod files.

What is Day Z mod? The GREATEST Zombie game of all time!
    People on board and addicted so far; Kotaku, 4chan, SomethingAwful, Reddit, the whole internet, bloke who runs your milkbar!

Its a persistant game so ur character saves on all servers, this aint no 800x800m type map level game this is a 250km2 country where if the zombies dont get you other survivors/bandits will!

You have to search towns for food, ammo, weapons n etc.

It is the hottest mod on the net since Project Reality for BF2!

Youtube ArmA Day Z to see how awesome it is!

P.s. there is a hilarious youtube vid of two players holding up and robbing a player travelling along a Road at night.

5. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Been on a huge gaming binge of late (more so with the completion of my honours work).

Picked up the new Nintendo system, the Wii U, like a good little fanboy console-whore. :p
    It's still downloading the set up and being painfully long about it but that was expected from reading about the American launch.

I got it at a $50 discount on the Deluxe version ($379 down from $428) with JB price matching Kmart and got the new Super Mario Bros. U for $40. Since the stockroom staff at the Belco store suck, am waiting on the other launch titles to be ready but will get them at $40 each as well. The deal was meant to be select titles for $40 but head office sent out a select e-mail on all launch titles $40 until monday. So if you are going to pick one up, pester them hard about it.
    The launch titles are honestly very weak, mostly ports and such, but cheap is cheap. So will pick up ZombiU, Assassins Creed 3, COD Black Ops 2 and maybe another title. Have Tekken Tag 2 on the way, because ordered before new the discount was on.

Also acquired a PS Vita from my mate and ordered Persona 4 Golden for it from Canada, otherwise would have to wait until next year for it (as opposed to 2 weeks for shipping). Still trying to finish the 3rd game on my PSP but it's a bloody long game and my PSP battery is crap. :p

6. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I've got a Wii and it disappoints me. What's the U like? And how's the Vita?

7. Shadow298

The Wii U is more like it's rival consoles, able to play HD games and such.
    No real motion control either. It has a solid game tap with a touch screen on it.
    Some games use it well so far.
    It also doubles as an extra screen, so you can play some games without your telly. So really handy if you have to share or such with others.

Haven't gone deep into it yet. Strangely not in a gaming mood. Played only a few moments of ZombiU (first person more realistic zombie survival game) and Black Ops 2 (saw the intro, got bored). Played more Assassin's Creed 3 (also a touch boring but seems that way on all systems) and Mario (which is awesome and actually pretty tough in places).

The OS itself is slow to load things but that can be fixed with updates and such.

The GamePad itself feels great in the hand. Very comfy and nature. Nintendo always do great work with their controllers.

The Vita isn't great.
    A solid little system but hampered by poor battery life and lack of titles. A waiting on Persona 4 as I said, so will play it more when I get that.
    Little Big Planet Vita is a great game but not worth grabbing one for.

Basically wait until there is a hueg price drop, then it will be worth it.

8. Shadow298

OK, been a couple of days now, so here are my impressions of the Wii U console and the games that I have.

The console:

Positive: the controller is amazing. Honestly, despite its size, it is on of the most comfortable I've held. Definitely well designed. The screen is handy too. Especially if you want to take care of a couple of things or are waiting for something to finish on TV. All the inital pre-game stuff can be done and it keeps track of updates on it, so you don't have to sit in front of the TV watching or flicking channels.
    The deluxe edition comes with a charging cradle, which is handy because the battery life is meant to be poor. So you can rest it in the cradle during cut scenes and such to get a little extra boast. the cable to charge the pad plugs into a wall socket but has a long reach, so it isn't troublesome.
    It's also a very quiet unit..
    The online functions are really handy, especially the open community and being able to see what other people think about a game Twitter style. Facebook integration would be handy but not too important.

Negative: the OS is very slow to load things. This is entirely a software issue and one that they will hopefully fix in coming patches and updates. Other software issues include problems with some games that should also be fixed. The huge update when you first turn it on is also a pain because it takes several hours to finish and install. But was forewarned about it, so wasn't too much of a hassle but is mandatory if you want the online functions.
    Also lack of some launch titles for download, like Trine 2, is annoying. As is its price (bloody Australian tax that overseas companies impose).

Games:

New Super Mario Bros. U:
    A hark back to Super Mario World on the SNES (still the best Mario game out there) with it's open map and secret paths, it's a fun game. The controls feel slippery though but that makes it like an old Mario game. I'm just too out of practice with 2D platformers I feel, having played J-RPGs and Skyrim a lot of late.
    It's worht getting. Nothing mind blowing but looks beautiful. The main screen is mirrored on the controller, which can be distracting but handy if someone else wants to watch TV or the like.

Assassins Creed 3:
    Just another game in the series. Nothing special add to the Wii U version, apart from the HUD now being on the GamePad, freeing up the screen. This can be troublesome when you want to use the map because you have to glance between the two but easy once you get used to it. The controls are as troublesome as always but that's par of the course for these games.
    If you've already played it on other systems, no need to get it here.

COD Black Ops 2:
    Basically just another COD game. With a shit story full of racism. The controls handle really well in it with the GamePad. Not much on the screen but you can stream the full game to it if you want and it's meant to be really handy in multiplayer (which I haven't tried yet).
    Meant to be some frame rate issues but haven't noticed them yet. Looks as good as the 360 version.

Nintendo Land:
    the mini game collection to show off the new system. Unfortunately I can't get it to work due to software issues (not an uncommon problem it seems and meant to be patched soon), so can't talk about it.

ZombiU:
    the 1st person survival horror game from Ubisoft that actually makes great use of the GamePad's screen, integrating it into the game. I haven't played much of it because I don't want to be slaughtered and start again. It's meant to be a punishing game with some bugs and not in the mood for such things at the moment. But the perma-death of a character is a good mechanic, as is the use of screens and not being able to pause in game adds to the tension. Zombies are touch to kill and pistols don't help as it attracts the monsters. Lots of planning and playing is needed for this game.

Overall:
    I'm enjoying it. A lot better than the Wii (which is a good console in its own way) but hampered by launch issues.
    Unless you are an uber fan, you can wait a bit before you get your one. I recommend the black deluxe package for all the handy extras that it has.
    Can't wait for the games due out next year (as well as the one I'm waiting on being shipped).

9. Shadow298

Good Old Games (GOG) is having a massive sale for classic PC titles in bundles.

Including every Ultimate title (apart from Online) and all the old major point and click adventure series from Sierra.
    Not sure how long it runs though but hoping until I get some spare cash.
    And it's all DRM free, so you can share it about.

http://www.gog.com

also go to Ecogamer for other good deals: http://www.ecogamer.com.au/

10. Cooee

Cooee Member

Thanks for posting that. I just picked up the Myst series and Theme Hospital.

11. Shadow298

New Pokemon is out today: X & Y.

Anyone else grab themselves a copy?