This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The gear thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Go to a store and see what you're comfortable on. Tyr to play some friends guitars to get a feel before hand.
    It will be a bit difficult if you haven't played at all before. Maybe consider taking someone with you who could also try them and offer some advice.

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Troll the trading post and Ebay, ensure you can play it before you buy and as Daniel said, take a guitarist friend with you. That way you may get a better guitar for a lower price than buying new from a store.

Looking at what the shops are offering, I see Fender single cutaways for $479 (449 at Allans/BillyHyde). Personally I have a Yamaha Compass which I found to be only slightly below the grade of a Maton. The Fender has a microphonic pickup though- not one of the wonderful Piezo pickups like you get in a Maton. I have a Maton 12 string but I definitely do not recommend 12 string guitars for a beginner!

Yamaha has a single-cutaway with a Peizo pickup for $449:

I'm not saying go and buy these- what you need to do as a beginner is take someone who can play and knows a bit about guitars, go to the guitar shops and listen to them playing all the guitars (sit right in front of them to get the best sound projection) find one in your price range that you like the sound of and your guitarist friend approves of the action and playability.

Once you have played it for a while and have a bit more cash, take it to a luthier and have the truss rod/nut/bridge adjusted if required but otherwise a professional setup done. You'd be surprised what a difference that can make.

When I want to buy a new guitar I usually go and play 20-30 different guitars and short-list the ones I really like the sound and feel of. Out of the short list I buy the one that is the most unusual or rare for the price.

3. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Cheers buddy.

4. flip`

flip` Your mother was a hamster

I'm thinking about getting another guitar like a Godin ACS-SA with 13 pin out and connect it to an AX 50 USB midi controller then kontakt or the like. Has anyone done anything like this?

I could just get a pickup that does it, but it's a good excuse to buy another guitar.

5. Over the wall

Over the wall Member

Does anyone know of any good websites/forums with "tone databases"? Just got an orange dual terror head and a mxr m116 distortion pedal and wouldnt mind reading up on some different settings

6. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

Does anyone know for sure if Licenced Floyd Rose bridges can be repaired using OFR parts, ie, will they fit?
    I need to replace some fine tuners, string blocks and possibly saddles and have a feeling that I will have to track down and use LFR parts which may fail me in no time.

Doesn anyone know of any good places to track these down in Australia or an online store which ships them to us at decent prices?

7. Cooee

Cooee Member

Hi guys. I haven't picked up my guitar in about 1.5 years (was having lessons for the 8 years prior) and I'm thinking of giving it a go again. It's really just a hobby and nothing I want to, or have taken too seriously. My main goal is to get back into playing and keep it fun.

I only have my guitar and amp and would like to try out some effects pedals without spending too much, probably a couple hundred at most. Are you guys able to recommend any pedals / effects / multi-effect boards. Some of the bands whose songs I attempt to play (very poorly) are Maiden, Nightwish, GNR, Blind Guardian and Dokken, so I guess Hard Rock / Power Metalish tones are what I'm after. Ideally something fairly simple to operate too. I bought a cheap little Zoom unit when I first bought my guitar, but I never really liked it and it has been sitting in the cupboard ever since.

I've also been considering buying an acoustic / classical guitar as an alternative. Do you think the simpler option might be better?

8. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

I'm obviously biased due to my endorsement, I'd look into getting one of the Line6 POD range - we were playing them before we signed our endorsement deal and went for it because they were simply that good. I'm sure you can pick up a POD XT cheap now since it's a couple of generations old (I wouldn't go earlier than that) and there's Pocket PODs too, which are cut down practice versions. Every tone you hear on anything I've worked on since Ascendence has been from a POD - incredibly versatile and you can most certainly get the tone you're looking for out of it. All you need is an amp with a clean channel and you have 200 tones at you fingertips. :)

9. sadisticsatyr

sadisticsatyr Young Apprentice

I play pretty much that same stuff. Here's my setup:

Vox Pathfinder 15w
    BOSS Metal Core ML -2 ($150-$200)
    Line 6 UX2 ($150-$200 USD) which, due to our exchange rate, is very much exactly that is AUD :) But....it isnt portable like the ones the LORD guys use onstage....

10. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I'll plug (again) the V-Amp Pro. Simple to use, great metal tones. $200-250 or something like that. You can probably get them real cheap 2nd hand now. Don't get the cheaper standard ones as the power cable sucks and breaks- get the pro which is a rack mount unit.

11. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

What effects are you guys using these days?

s

12. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

All Line6 gear, and usually POD XT or X3. We'll be moving to POD HD sometime in the future though.

13. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

14. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

I'm currently hoarding a whole new range of gear to start making some different sounding tunes. Last week I purchased an American Standard Fender Strat, a Gator pedal tote case, and the first pedal to go into it, a zVex Fuzz Factory. Looking forward to exploring my inner psychedelic stoner.

15. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Do you have a coiled cable?

s

16. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Master Exploder

Its on the list!

17. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member