This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The meaning of life

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by Bloopy, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

What's the meaning of life?

Those of us who are atheists would likely concur that there's no intrinsic meaning in life, and it's all just a tremendous accident. If anything exists outside of our universe, it's probably more universes containing equally baffled creatures. So, maybe the question needs rewording, eg.: What's the greatest meaning you can give to your life?

Just a reminder that this is a serious and mature section of the forum (outside of the bible basher threads :D). I wanna see a few paragraphs, not screeds of text copied and pasted verbatim from your favourite holy books.

2. CiG

CiG Infrared Horizon

Fuck your rules, also:

3. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Why does there have to meaning to your life or anyone elses?

4. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

I didn't mean to imply there has to be a meaning. The best answer could be none whatsoever. But if so, surely someone can justify that answer somehow.

5. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

If one doesn't think about a meaning, or live life looking for one that might be all the justification needed for them, without any explanations. But I suppose that wouldn't be enough for someone looking for answers, or a direction.

6. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

The answers to a question similar to yours could be hugely insightful. Not why a life has to have meaning, but rather why anyone would wanna give meaning to theirs. It's probably depends on how the individual feels. Eg. if one person simply enjoys figuring out a meaning to slap onto their life then maybe their meaning of life is to enjoy it. Whereas another who sees this search as a serious and satisfying pursuit may then find their meaning of life is to achieve satisfying accomplishments. Though most would probably then get philosophically greedy and claim their meaning is a combo of both and more.

For me these sorts of things aren't a search for a direction. It's more about examining, deducing and defining things based on experiences of where one is at now. Reaching some kind of answer/conclusion can lead to feeling happier and more confident in making the same choices I probably would've made anyway. And if there's no answer to be found, I still enjoy taking my brain for a walk around the block.

[​IMG]

7. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

You could also take the point of view that someone who spends a lot of time looking for meaning is actually looking for the wrong thing.

8. Ugadwal

Ugadwal New Metal Member

the meaning of my life is Love. Perhaps this is the most philosophical question of all existing. The ancient Greeks and Romans have been puzzling them, we are still puzzling. Values and meaning of life, there is an essay collection on this site https://studydriver.com/value-of-life-essay/, you can come read if you have a need or are interested in this topic as a whole.

#8 Ugadwal, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  9. Vandert

Vandert New Metal Member

I`ve never thought about the meaning of the life, but perhaps it is happiness

10. miralJam90

miralJam90 New Metal Member

the meaning of life in a moment, here and now. My family must be the meaning of life for me. It's the most valuable thing I have in this world. I recently wrote an essay on the meaning of life, family values, goodness, light and love. I found examples on the website https://eduzaurus.com/free-essay-samples/family/ of very well written and really interesting essays about family. What do you think about the family institution in modern society, about family traditions and the general atmosphere? Is the family the meaning of life for you?

#10 miralJam90, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020