This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

Discussion in 'Dark Tranquillity' started by rahvin, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Matse

Matse Customized individuum

I thought I should contribute something to this discussion: I do not like the taste of coffee.

2. Lina

Lina kickass elizabethan style

I don't either, but then I discovered you could load it up with sugar (or Splenda for no calories, which is what I do), vanilla syrup (sugar-free for me again), and milk and essentially make it taste like hot cocoa.

I'm such a yuppie.

3. Hiljainen

Hiljainen why can't we not be sober

overseas (and not only) quantity is overrated :p

i tried in any way to include rancid ambiguity in this sentence, because i love your signature, but i didn't manage, so there it is.

4. hyena

hyena counterclockwise

@siren: just when i was about to say that coffee i had in greece and turkey were nearly the only two palatable types of coffee i've had abroad. :p

@hilj: :lol: i have another funny sentence, this time about taxi drivers, but it's in the office. i'll remember to post it tomorrow.

5. plintus

plintus Señor Member

Well, we all know you kinda, like, love cock, so that figures things out.

6. rahvin

rahvin keeper of the flame

I don't particularly like the taste of hot cocoa.

7. Lina

Well, your skinny self can stick with the strawberry frappuccinos then!

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Immaturity Aside

On the subject of coffee and coffee machines.. I put my bialetti in the dish washer and it got totally ruined. Poor material science I say, what with cars not rusting anymore and all? Give it a good galvanisation, cheap twats!

9. DisplayofCharacter

DisplayofCharacter Are You Scared Enough?

@Siren: Now I need to go to Greece for the coffee too. :p I think you guys probably do get better instant coffee, as its not really popular in the States, at least, as far as I know. I usually do add a bit of milk and sugar anyways, I know that's lightweight, but I'm trying to get used to black coffee. Most of the problem I have is when they burn the coffee or brew it poorly, it really stands out. Conversely, it can also taste the best this way. BTW, I had espresso for the first time this year, and I didn't mind it. It was a tad bitter (might have just been the establishment), but I thought I ought to try it.

@Plintus: WaWa coffee isn't that bad. They have a tendency to burn it though, but some of the flavors aren't that bad. It is not my choice for regular coffee, though, that has to be Dunkin' Donuts, if I have to pick a chain. Though I heard Tim Horton's was much better.

@Lina: I can't drink frappucchinos ever again. Try googling Starbucks Universal Beverage Base.

10. Siren

Siren Active Member

What's up with Starbucks btw? They make so-so to horrible milk with a bit of coffee, which they then proceed to overprice. The same cup costs $4 in the US and 5.20euros here. Not giving my money to those bastards again.

11. DisplayofCharacter

@Siren: Starbucks is a cash cow. Their coffee is terrible and overpriced, and I would say its more of a fad, but its lasted a bit longer than fad status. I really don't know what else to say, other than they care more about good money than good product. UBB is one example - once I heard about that I couldn't ever drink that stuff again. It just sounds gross.

12. Lina

According to wikipedia, they changed it to "CBB" in 2006, and it's only used in the crème drinks I guess.

Oh well, I still love my sugar-free gingerbread skim latte. :p

13. Siren

Siren Active Member

@hyena: regarding espresso, i've only had it one or two times and i think once was in a conference or so (conference coffee sucks by default). in italy they might make it better, so i'm willing to give it one more try when i'm there. it struck me as terribly bitter and small, i suppose i'm a victim of the greek mentality that wants coffee to be a companion for hours.

and for those who want to be educated on frappe and on why US instant coffee sucks: wikipedia

14. DisplayofCharacter

:p. One of my friends went to a Starbucks and asked for a cup of UBB (back when that was what it still was), and they were so appalled they just gave it to her. It was weird whitish stuff - smelled weird too. That ruined it for me, but this new stuff doesn't sound as bad.

Their lattes are OK, just overpriced in my opinion. The aren't the worst I've ever had, closer to mediocre, but sometimes its the only option.

15. Dark_Silence

Dark_Silence Member

i never put sugar and milk in my coffee. But when the cofee is bad, i add some milk.

I like expresso... when i was in the US, i once went to a coffee shop, whose name i forgot, and i asked for an expresso, the waitress lokked at me quite strangely and told me "really? no one ever drinks that here"
    The best expresso i had was in Italy: we had italian penfriends for one year in my school, and we visited them at one point. We were invited for dinner in teh family of the penfriend. After the food, my penfriends mom made some good expresso.

Speaking of starbuck, they are very rare here in Germany, i only know 2 of them: in Cologne main train station and here in aachen. I like their caramel macchiato. But i wouldnt drink it very often because it tastes very sweet.

16. plintus

plintus Señor Member

I think pretty much anything except regular coffee in Starbucks (and any coffee shop for that matter) is above 1000 calories. I think coffee latte is something about 1500... I don't remember exactly, but to burn that (if you want to), you need to run around a football field several times... 12?

So yeah, enjoy.

p.s. Makes me wonder how much calories I consume with coffee and cream, cuz I'm on it all the time :S

17. Lina

The sugar-free syrups are calorie-free, so my SF gingerbread skim latte has 90 calories, all of which come from the milk. But yeah, most of the drinks are horrendously high.

18. hyena

hyena counterclockwise

espresso without sugar = 2 calories.

19. Wolfman Von Jones

Wolfman Von Jones The trouble with you

I never use sugar because Im obviously sweet enough ;).

I got a new pup yesterday. She's half boarder collie and half Aussie shepherd, and all love.

Nick

20. Lina

Does she have a tail? Different-colored eyes?