This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The News Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Jimmy... Dead., Jun 19, 2014.

1. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

I did

And I don't see how you can disagree that many goods (electronic goods particularly) from China are produced more cheaply than they could be nearly anywhere else in the world right now. If that wasn't an absolute fact, companies like Apple would happily move to the countries where things can be assembled cheaper. Obviously long-term, if looking at the aggregate which includes the wages/jobs of American workers, that is subject to change, and I do agree that Trump's ploy could pay off if he survives 2020.

But I don't think he's playing the game all that well. I generally don't agree with the globohomo types but they were more or less right when they attacked Trump for not defending the Hong Kong protestors. That could have been an easy leverage opportunity for him and a way of forcing moderates into making it a muh democracy vs muh Red China competition, but at least publicly he basically shit on that chance. He could also begin publicly recognizing Taiwan, which even if unofficially would cause heads to spin (remember how much the MSM attacked him for daring to have a phone call with Taiwan weeks into his presidency?). I don't see much evidence that he has plans to change his current one-pronged approach, but I fully admit that he still has a year to pull some ballsier moves like Nixon did in 1972.

2. Dak

Dak mentat

Damn, read right over that line. Apologies. I don't think he has some sort of grand 4D chess strategy, but he isn't falling for globalist economic fallacies, mostly by accident. I do think he's the best worst option other than maybe Gabbard; Yang has been squandering everything.

#10302 Dak, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. HamburgerBoy

I don't think anyone short of a hardcore populist autocrat (e.g. a Huey Long) can turn things around and fight the various interdependent interests in our country, there are far too many layers of bullshit that a "legitimate" president has to abide by. Only reason I'll probably vote for Trump is to get more conservatives on the Supreme Court, and that's only for 1A/2A reasons. Even if by some miracle he not only wins reelection but forces China to capitulate and brings millions of manufacturing jobs back without the economy quaking too much in the process, it's only a waiting game until the next Rep or Dem instantly reverses that. The only natural (e.g. non-violent) solution to stopping globalization that I can see is a sudden technological breakthrough that gives us all the energy we need and robots that can replace the cheapest human labor (which will only be cheaper as the planet approaches 10 billion people).

Dak likes this.
  4. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

The fall of Prague: ‘Drunk tourists are acting like they’ve conquered our city’

Nice overview of the tuirist situation in Prague.

The article touches a recent story about two germans spraying graffiti on the fucking Charles Bridge. The story is ridiculous for multitude of reasons, including the fact that the tourists defended themselves saying "we didn't know the building was so important" and also the manner in which it was cleaned. The removal works were under way and supposed to take several weeks, up until the graffiti suddenly disappeared overnight. Basically the company that was ordered to clean it up arrived to work another morning and the graffiti was just not there. No sign of it. One dude then submitted himself to the police after like all media covered the story, saying he cleaned it up secretly, and even though it was done illegaly he was proclaimed a hero by the public. The mayor said he would pay for his services no matter what and media hurried to interview the guy, but on the interviews, he confessed to be a double murderer having killed his wife and her lover and spending most of his life in prison. This put the mayor in a tough spot as the murdering cleaner man refused the money and instead made the mayor attend a seminar on cleaning up stuff..... Only in slavic countries.

5. rms

rms Active Member

When wasn't praha a young kid party City?? Shit show there

6. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

Umm, it wasn't like this before. the point of the article is that the number of tourists increase and that the stay here is marketed as "FLY HERE GET DRUNK DO WHATEVER YOU WANT".

I'm basically programmed to avoid the touristy areas like I have a map in my brain and I walk through the side streets and hidden passages in the centre but it would be nice to get rid of stupid shit like BEER BIKE "GO AROUND THE CENTRE WITH UNLIMITED BEER ALL YOU CAN DRINK GET DRUNK AND SHOUT SHIT" type of services. Hate to say it but we need more regulations.

There was no beer bikes ten years ago, there was no stupid fucking Seqways or battery-powered scooters for drunks to get around, there was no Russian-owned apartments in the centre that are only used for AirBnBs etc etc.

Yeah about the AirBnBs, those are regulated in Berlin and other more progressive cities so the centre doesn't get fucked. I wonder how long it will take to push such regulations here.

Also I'd like to bomb the souvenir shops in the centre that are selling russian matrioshkas.

All in all though, saying that Praha is just a young kid party city is fucking stupid because all the things we've mentioned so far are limited to a couple of streets in the absolute centre and the rest is completely chill, so yeah.

7. rms

rms Active Member

You're city has been defined by their gaping need for more dollars, don't get mad at me that your country sold it's soul. Couple streets though? It's a small City! And when it's wall to wall madness of people...how can you understate how insanely packed it is there?! Hah

But it really was just that. Glad I got to Budapest years ago and in the off season, but Prague was a real let down

8. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

Yeah the centre is packed. As I said, I avoid the touristy places like Charles Bridge and Old Town Square myself.

I can understand how it can be a let down, it must be a solid Paris effect if you expect the touristy spots not to be crowded. It takes some Googling or Foursquare to find the chill spots.

It's kind of saddening how disconnected the locals and tourists are. Must be similar in like, Venice, or, notoriously, Paris. Somehow Berlin is different, I love it.

9. Dak

Dak mentat

Tourists are just bringing apparently much needed diversity.

10. rms

rms Active Member

I don't know why people think these off the beaten path spots are easily shared to tourists yet they just don't go? Istill stand that Krakow is a better Prague :)

11. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

uuuhhh...
    ...at least the graffiti got cleaned up...yay??...

12. Blurry_Dreams

13. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

I only just heard that back in 2017 Trump said he met with the president of the Virgin Islands. :lol: Wow.

Einherjar86 likes this.
  14. Blurry_Dreams

i heard it when it happened
    it's still pretty funny now

15. HamburgerBoy

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksi...ops-seize-guns-without-warrants/#13ba83e75c64

Seems like rare good news on the California and ACLU fronts. I don't really see how this is reconciled with the rapidly increasing support for "red flag" laws though.

16. no country for old wainds

17. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

18. HamburgerBoy

No doubt that the West has a vested interest in Hong Kong's rejection of PRC demands, but I haven't really seen much evidence to suggest that the HK protesters/rioters are a direct result of Western meddling. But the whole thing is so full of shills and I don't speak Chinese which keeps most of the details out of my reach, so I'm not really inclined one way or the other.

19. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

20. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

Pamela Anderson absolutely brutalized the entire panel of The View.

#10320 CiG, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019