This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

The Next Chapter: Bodom After Midnight

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by tragician, Mar 15, 2020.

1. tragician

tragician Hermotriekaleina22/7

Pretty sure not, if the kid was born in 2006 and Alexi and Kim broke up in 2004 :D

COB-666 likes this.
  2. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

It is not his child!!!

Anyways, the very first BAM gig is happening soon, I hope those of you who will witness it have a wonderful time! And I kindly ask you for some videos and written reports afterwards! :D

tragician and COB-666 like this.
  3. COB-666

COB-666 Member

4. tragician

I still don't like the logo but I just gotta get used to it lol

5. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Don't worry, it's not just you. That logo is horrible. Pretty sure they asked the first person around and it was made on Paint.

tragician and COB-666 like this.
  6. COB-666

COB-666 Member

Yes, the logo is shit. :D Sadly...

7. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

It could work as a sign for a bar located in Espoo, but not a band logo.

#227 (__Joonas__), Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    COB-666 likes this.
  8. COB-666

COB-666 Member

9. COB-666

COB-666 Member

10. COB-666

COB-666 Member

First video: Needled 24/7
    " First song of the very first live performance. Seinäjoki, Finland @ Rytmikorjaamo. "

11. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Why Needled as first song??? And who is the singer? Looks like Alexi, but with another voice.

The playing was good, Alexis radius of movement is still restricted to a 50cm distance from the mic stand - all in all, it sounds like... Bodom.

12. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

The lack of crowd and silence before they start make it sound like...a cover band :rofl: otherwise the performance is fine, I notice that the guitars are much louder than keyboards, which wasn't the case in COB.

13. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

COB-666 likes this.
  14. COB-666

COB-666 Member

In Your Face:

15. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Yeah, Needled sounds off. Seems like he's trying to sing the whole thing at a higher pitch. Doesn't really work for him. I prefer his voice when he goes lower instead of higher.

Drummer kicks ass, he just needs a bigger drumkit, that looks like something borrowed from an opening band.

The guy on the keys reminds me of a young Janne-- deer in the headlights look.

The bassist adds some life--Alexi will probably kick him out. Daniel doesn't seem to be happy to have to move around because of this guy.

16. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

17. tragician

I was at the two latest shows and will go tonight too. in my opinion the new lineup is good and they have more energy in their playing than COB in the last tours. But it's lacking the personality that COB shows had. It feels like "Alexi Laiho and the background band" instead of a new band.

It seems that people's opinions kind of depend on how they look at this: are they thinking it's COB with a new lineup or are they thinking it's a whole new band? Of course the people that come to these shows are there with COB shirts on and they expect it to be a COB show. But it's not COB with just Alexi.
    I think they should have released a new album before playing live because right now they aren't really offering anything new. I want to take this in as a new band and see how it goes but that's not the message they are giving with these shows. They aren't bad, they play well with good energy but for and old fan of COB I'm not surprised if some feel this is just a lamer COB?

Then again this is a good test for the lineup and practice for them in developing their own "iconic live routine" of sorts. The songs are gonna sound good no matter who plays them because they are good songs, so it's less stress on that note but for fans it would be easier to kinda turn the next page if they would play mainly new BAM songs and have a few COB songs in there.

I want to believe Alexi just doesn't want to take a too long break from live shows, he wants to show he's still there and still doing what he does but I can't blame those who feel like this is a "I didn't need COB guys anyway I can replace them" message. Still, people can have their feelings and miss the old lineup, I saw some old fans had posted on insta that they will never go see this band again. But the song writer perspective that "I wrote these and I can keep playing these with a new band" is completely valid too.

The thing is Alexi is the face of COB, even if he did release new music and tour with that, people would still be there wearing COB shirts and expecting an old song as an encore.

#237 tragician, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    sfont, drawnacrol and COB-666 like this.
  18. drawnacrol

drawnacrol 7Slinger

[​IMG]

Interesting that Alexi is playing the Drop C songs in Drop B now but still playing the D standard in the original tuning. Its common for bands to play a semitone lower live so I'd assume he would play them in C# now.

Marty Friedman says Megadeth fans still come to his shows and shout out songs. Its cool Alexi is back with a new lineup but like you said what is the reason behind it. People are always going to want Bodom so I can't see him playing a setlist with 75% Bodom after Midnight songs if they release an album and tour it.

tragician likes this.
  19. tragician

Yeah the mainly BAM setlist is gonna be possible after like two albums :D People always want to hear the older material with every band's shows that is just how it is.

I also think that while yes I totally understand the fans who don't like the idea of BAM, some look like they feel like choosing a side, Alexi vs the rest and that is not needed. We can't know what was going on. But I went through a lot of emotions last december too and I totally understand when some fans seem even angry at this new band.
    But it's just a fact that whatever BAM does will be compared to what COB was like and they can only do what they think is best for this, what is the best direction Alexi thinks his art should go.

#239 tragician, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  20. garlicbread11

garlicbread11 Member

This definitely feels like Alexi and the Bodomboys rather than COB, imo. I think they should have thrown an original song or 2 into their set at least.

They had also mentioned playing some uncommon songs live, but they're pretty much only touching the first 5 albums here, plus Platitudes, which is lame to me.

Gotta give some more time to let them become their own band, but we'll see how it goes. I'll always be fine with them playing COB songs, but I definitely hope we get some BAM songs that become staples themselves.

tragician likes this.