This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Novella Vosselaar

Discussion in 'Novembers Doom' started by Ozzloaf, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ozzloaf

Ozzloaf Art Geek

Hey,
    I've been thinking of getting this and I've heard the music is great but the footage is quite awful. Does anyone have any clips or is there a trailer or anything? I'd like to check it out before I get it.
    Thanks,
    Jake

2. Will Bozarth

Will Bozarth Everlasting Godstopper

just fucking buy it. the footage is fine

3. Ozzloaf

Ozzloaf Art Geek

I probably will...

I'd still like to see a clip or two.

4. NvmbrsDoom5

NvmbrsDoom5 Member

Obviously you're gonna get a somewhat biased opinion being that I'm in the band, but I'll give you my honest feelings about the DVD.

This whole thing about the footage being "awful" is quite honestly bullshit. I realise it's gonna ultimately boil down to personal opinion and taste but I think the people who are saying it's awful are being quite unfair. Is it some high-quality big budget video like you'd see from many of the bigger bands? No, it's not. It was shot with at least five cameras, and it does have a dark and grainy quality to it, mostly due to the lighting and dank conditions of the club itself. Due to these factors and a couple of faulty errors on the part of the film crew, the quality of the footage isn't quite as clear as we could've hoped. But these computer-chair-critics deeming it "quite awful" are just being overly picky cunts, to put it bluntly. If you read the latest issues of Metal Maniacs and Decibel magazine, both give quite positive reviews of the DVD overall. Plus in addition to the concert portion of the disc you get all three music videos, plus the fan-made videos, and you can get the disc for well under $20.

At one point I thought The End Records were going to put out one song from the DVD as a sampler online but I don't think they ever did it.

Some of you guys here who've had good things to say about our DVD could possibly do us a favor.....I know these places like Amazon and the like allow for fans to submit reviews, and it seems that usually the loudest voices are often the negative ones. There's not a whole lot of reviews available yet for the DVD online, so if any of you feel like submitting your review to these places, please do so. I've had alot of people tell me they enjoy the DVD (audio AND video) so it'd be a great help if people would spread that good word for us.

5. DigitalViolence

I'm getting it by Christmas at the latest. I'll post some reviews wherever I can.

6. FUBAR

FUBAR Member

The dvd is great, go buy!

7. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

Go buy it. Whoever said the footage is awful has a stick up their butt.

8. oeyenjo

oeyenjo Member

hi, it's been awhile since i've posted on this forum.

I was present at the show in Vosselaar, and for me the DVD represents what i saw and heard and felt that evening.
    It's a great DVD and you see the band in full force with a footage that's more than satisfactory considering the Biebob-club.
    Don't hesitate, buy the DVD and you will not regret it.

9. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Ozzloaf.....
    You seem like a good guy, but you are batting under .500 when it comes to posting on a band's own forum.

It's 2008.
    I think you know there are PLENTY of sites where you could find samples of the DVD.

Hell, I am sure someone has posted some of it on You Tube.

Think a bit though dude. You come to a band's forum.
    Do you think people here will be like, "I love this band, but don't buy this because it doesn't match Iron Maiden live footage quality"!

10. NvmbrsDoom5

NvmbrsDoom5 Member

It's ok, he was just asking questions about it and figured he'd get opinions from ND fans, it makes sense and it's a fair question. By all means if any of you guys don't like the DVD I don't want you to pretend that you do just for our sakes LOL! As long as people are fair and respectful about it then it's cool. I wasn't mad or jumping on the guy at all, I just know that he probably read a couple of the "fan-reviews" at places like Amazon as a reference and wanted him to know that those reviews were a bit harsh, IMO. But Ozzloaf never said it had to be Iron Maiden quality for him to want to buy it, he just said he heard it was bad quality video. I don't want people jumping on the poor guy for asking questions, I didn't take it as him being rude!

Anyhow, I'm gonna see if there's any way we can get an official sample clip from the DVD put up so that people can judge for their own eyes and ears and that'll solve this whole problem.

And I don't believe there are any clips on Youtube from the dvd, actually. If any do turn up I prefer that it be something officially released by ourselves or the label.

11. Ozzloaf

Ozzloaf Art Geek

Yeah, I looked on Youtube and there aren't any, which is why I asked here. I'll probably get the DVD anyway, if not for the video then the music. I want to support you guys because you're awesome people who deserve awesome treatment. And yeah, it doesn't have to be absolutely amazing quality, I just don't want it to be so bad that it'll make me sick, which is what I heard from a review. There have been other DVD's like that that I own, where the footage is poor but the music is flawless. It makes me wish that the band had simply released a live album.

12. Naglfar

Naglfar As Naglfar devours us all

The United States of Canada (not Jesusland)
    batting just under .500 is pretty epically good, just so you know!

ok ok I'll shut up

/end stupidness

I'm gonna buy the DVD soon myself, I don't particularly care if the video footage is good or not because that's at the mercy of the particular location. The sound is more important... and sometimes the location is crazy and video reflects that, too. =)

13. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Ha! Yeah, I know, I know.

As I said, I think Ozzloaf is a good guy who means well.

I think what set me off is the use of the term "Awful quality"

14. Novembers Paul

Only when Chris is on screen.

15. FearSore

FearSore GEETUS

I am still impressed with this. I cant understand why someone would say it's "Awful", and I think (without really knowing who these people are) that some people think that they have these almighty thrones to sit on that backs up their opinions. In honesty, I compared the DVD (after reading this thread) with one of the Anathema DVD's and one of the My Dying Bride DVD's and Novembers Doom came up all aces (Hell even up against the only Samael DVD it stomped right along as good if not better). Sound quality and production was so much better, as was the performance. You get a deal with this vid, and besides my opinion (which is just as valid as anyone else's) you get positive response from Metal Maniacs??? Just read their reviews on DVD's sometime okay??? And Decibel??? Come on, you cant beat that... So these other fecks can go back to their chatrooms and continue on... doing whatever it is that they do, ya know????:Smokin:

16. DigitalViolence

Where did you get yours from, Fubar?

17. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Or "Los Ballos de Vito"

18. beast from the east

I have an extra copy, unopened, if anybody's interested. I'll ship it to you, if you ask nicely enough :) It's just sitting in my desk, just waiting to blast somebody's ears :headbang: Seriously, if anyone's interested, send me a PM.

As for the quality, I'll be honest. The first time I watched it, I didn't think it was top quality. But after watching it a few times, that didn't matter anymore. It was an AWESOME performance by the guys, and I would recommend it to any ND fan, no question. If you like these guys, do yourself a favor and get it.

19. Novembers Paul

All I can say about the quality of the DVD is this... Novembers Doom will ALWAYS give you the very best quality we possibly can given the tools we have available to us. The film crew were filled with a very polite and nice group of guys, but sadly at the end of the day, they made mistakes with the video (which they refuse to admit they made) and the quality of the video does suffer for it a bit. Unlike audio that can be fixed somewhat with mixing, the video can only be helped so much, and Tony at Cage XXI did an amazing job with what we gave him.

I can say, we will NEVER use that video company again, and we'll never send them business either. I know of another band who used them after we did, and before we had the chance to view our footage, and I know they are very disappointed as well. It's a lesson learned for us, and next time, we won't make the same mistake twice.

Just to give you the short story of the video issues, out of 6 cameras used, one angle was completely useless. The cameras all shot the show in LP mode, causing the video to have grain and lower quality. The pick up shots were shot in EP mode, and the quality difference was night and day. Combine this with a PAL to NTSC conversion causing it's own quality loss, your end result was a much less then desirable master tapes. Tony at Cage XXI spent weeks running all the video through color correction and grain removal filters to make them all match.

When I contacted the video company and explained the issues, I was told there is no difference between LP and EP mode in recording... I was actually insulted this guy tried to convince me of this.

Well, bottom line, we turned lemons into lemonade, and for the first time in our careers, and again, all thanks to Tony Myles, we polished a turd, and in my opinion, came out with a kick ass product, worthy of release, and equal quality to MANY of the underground metal DVD's on the market.

I love the underground feel to it, and I think it really captured the live experience from that night. A dark, packed metal venue, with a very enthusiastic crowd. I'd do it there again in a heart beat.

Next DVD we do, we learn from our past experience, and we make a better product. Maybe HD and 5.1. Who knows.

20. NvmbrsDoom5

NvmbrsDoom5 Member

Yeah I want to also reiterate that we're still completely happy with the fact that we recorded it at the Biebob, that place is great to play and the atmosphere is killer. It was up to the film crew to make sure that the lighting in the club, and the settings on their cameras, were set properly for a premium picture, and as Paul said, they did not. To say we were disappointed when we finally got to see the raw footage would be an understatement.

Between the excellent "Autumn Reflection" video, and the amazing hard work put into making the DVD something worthy of release, Tony and Cage XXI have been just amazing for us and we can't thank them enough, honestly.

I look at this DVD as being a very real, honest "warts and all" release. I know we're all used to these DVDs coming out these days with fancy camera work, rapid-fire editing (to give "movement" and "excitement" to the viewer......usually it just gives me a headache lol), and audio that was 100% re-done in a studio somewhere....but this DVD of ours is pretty much close to what you would've seen and experienced had you been there (as some of the guys here who actually were there have attested to) and I'm fine with that.

I'm sure if we ever do another live DVD someday, like Paul said, we'll learn from the mistakes made and make sure to use a company whose attention to quality and detail is better than what we had to experience this time.