This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

The official and most atmospheric Children of Joonas thread

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by <Arcane>, Dec 5, 2012.

1. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

That's true world class eargasmic epic musicianship.

New Cradle of Filth single was huge disappointment.

2. IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Every new CoF single is a huge disappointed. Used to love this band so much but they really disappointed me with
    Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder, made a small come back with Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa, but went only downhill after that.

3. (__Joonas__)

I think the single before was good. Album not, tho. It's a shame cos they have some mesmerizing songs, but it seems their songwriting has become a business pattern, not from the heart anymore. Well, it happens to everyone. It just becomes very one-dimentional, when there used to be like three things going on simulataneously in the songs all serving one purpose. You used to see this epicness unfold before you, but now you just see the songwriter having a guitar session trying to figure out excuses of songs.

4. IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Now that you mention it. I think I have the same relation with CoF as you have (had?) with CoB. I've always been in love with the atmosphere their music had. It was really taking me to completely different worlds with different histories and I loved it. If you feel the same way about current CoB as I do with current CoF, then I feel really sorry for you, for it's such a pain in the heart to lose such greatness and to fall into the "norm"

5. (__Joonas__)

Yeah well I think tuning further down to reach a 'heavy impact' in the music is not the cure, for any of these bands. Think about the riff in SNBN just before the solos, it's very simple, in D, yet it sounds killer as fuck. Why is that? Because it comes from the heart. The music in itself is like a story. The other thing is how all the instruments shared their part in the stories, instead of being in the shadow of the guitar. The songs have become too 1-dimentional. Alexi must try to hear SONGS with all instruments having a role in the play, before even touching his guitar. This makes the music spring to life. Don't just jam with your guitar and 'see if something comes up.'

6. IDontKnowWhatToWrite

The new Wintersun album has been leaked and you might enjoy it. Lacking solos, but full of "atmosphere"

7. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

I wish someone would upload it to YouTube :D I pre-ordered the entire thing back in March but I wouldn't mind hearing it two days in advance.

8. IDontKnowWhatToWrite

I ordered the forest package too but I was just too impatient XD

If you want, write me in PM, we can try to find a way for me sending it to you.

9. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Found it.

Yeah, plenty of atmosphere here. The Autumn song is one of the creepiest / darkest songs I've ever heard and the chorus of the Winter song just might be the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.

Now for another listen...

10. (__Joonas__)

Can someone give a theoretical explanation why the keyboard section at 0:45 - 1:00 sounds so dark? It's one of the moments that Alexi & Janne refer to when saying they have a 'special way' to make the keyboards sound dark. They don't usually sound this dark to me, so I'd like to know if the secret is something that can be decoded (like a specific relationship to what the guitars are playing) or if it's just creative expression.

11. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Probably just the notes that he plays boosted by the sound he uses. A sure way to make things sound dark is playing stuff in a diminished scale or a mode of harmonic minor. Unfortunately I don't have my guitar at hand atm so I can't test if that's what Janne is doing.

12. Norbix

Norbix Member

Can someone PM me where I can check out the new wintersun stuff?

13. (__Joonas__)

This is something 'else'.

It struck me this mysterious piano at 0:38 - 0:41 seemed deeply familiar... I believe this tiny section amidst all the piano is the source of the eerily pretty musical idea that sprouts to a gloomy flourish.

I dug my mind till my head hurt until I figured it's all over this fucking song! This fucking guy! Never underestimate a person that looks like Jesus. No, jokes aside, this is a melodically sweet track and there's many versions of it.

14. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

Youtube ;)