This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Good Television Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Satanstoenail, May 10, 2008.

1. Phylactery

Phylactery Active Member

Going to have a rewatch of Lost I think. Been years since I first watched it. I remember it losing its way at quite a few times and going batshit at others. But it was enjoyable overall. Will see if it holds up.

2. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

i got lost trying to watch Lost
    and yeah, i know, i'm like the billionth person to say it
    but i didn't binge-watch it, didn't see it on Hulu or Netflix or anything, i just watched it when it was broad-casted on my tv screen, and apparently i didn't see every scene of every episode
    confusing shit on the show included me watching the episode where the whole episode was characters shooting each other with apparently-ancient-guns, but i never saw where the fucking guns came from

3. Jimmy... Dead.

Jimmy... Dead. contemplative curmudgeon

looks like True Detective is back on track. Very well done so far

fuck was that season 2 an abomination

4. CiG

CiG Immense Thickening Vomit

Wasn't that bad at all, just wasn't a good choice for a follow up to the first season.

5. no country for old wainds

watch those movies i recommended you, ya dildo

6. challenge_everything

challenge_everything Active Member

True Detective Season 2 is probably the most underrated series of TV I can think of. Took a while to get going, but it was just crushing stuff. I actually prefer it to S1

7. no country for old wainds

season 3 starts tomorrow here. i doubt there's any real need continuity-wise, but i'd better watch s2 first.

Vegard Pompey and CiG like this.
  8. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

Dumbledore and the Armenians kill Ray and Frank

9. rms

rms Active Member

come onnnnnnnnn

10. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

Biggest problem with season 2 was casting. Watching Vince Vaughn utter Rust Cohle-ish lines in total seriousness was one of the most unintentionally funny things I've ever seen. No fucking clue who ok-ed that decision. Pretty much ruined the whole season for me.

Narrative-wise, it wasn't bad; but as CIG said, it just couldn't compare to the first season.

Only watched the first episode of the season 3 premiere. Service glitched a bit as the second episode was starting, so we decided to watch on demand later tonight. Slow start, but a good start. Definitely getting some season 1 vibes, which isn't a bad thing at all.

11. CiG

Following up a season of television that touched on the morbid side of detective work (conjuring elements of beloved films in the genre like Se7en, Zodiac etc) with a season of organized crime television was a bad move. They courted one kind of crowd and then completely flipped everything on them.

For me season 2 was awesome, I prefer the first still but Vaughn didn't bother me whatsoever. I thought he was killer in the role, very believable, imposing, grim, I liked it. Since then, seeing him in Brawl in Cell Block 99 has completely changed how I think about him as an actor.

12. rms

rms Active Member

s01 was organized too, the dumb part of s02 was the connection of masculinity and farrell's character arc. it was rushed and overly influenced by execs, just a doo-doo season.

13. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

I'm also in the "s02 is underrated as hell"-camp.

Caught the double-episode premiere of s03. Very promising, seems like a deliberate return to the tone and structure of s01 but the thematic ground covered so far is very different (the fallibility of memory seems like it's gonna be a big thing).

14. rms

rms Active Member

I love how the most anticipated second season of a TV show in recent memory is underrated :lol: damn hipsters

15. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

What does anticipation have to do with it? It's underrated because everyone shat on it, wrongfully.

CiG likes this.
  16. rms

rms Active Member

It means that everyone watched it, realized it stunk and moved on.

But I'm sure twin peaks is second on this list.

17. CiG

Definitely underrated.

18. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

Yeah, agree.

I didn't find him imposing or grim, for some reason. He was delivering lines that sounded like they came from a Cormac McCarthy novel, but I didn't detect any change in demeanor, body movement, etc.--anything that would suggest to me he was trying to perform his dialogue (whereas with McConaughey's turn as Rust, you could sense a change in his body language). It's as though Vaughn thought the lines themselves would carry his character, and I didn't find that to be the case. It deserves a re-watch on my part, though; maybe that would change my mind.

But again, I thought the narrative of season two was decent; in fact, it followed a similar arc to that of season one, i.e. crime committed, investigation produces leads resulting in a major shootout (superbly filmed in both seasons), but leads turn out to be false, pushing detectives in a new direction. The other major thing I missed in season two were the horror elements, which were so crucial to season one and so intricately woven into the narrative. It was an excellent blend of southern gothic and cosmic horror that managed to tease the line between both.

The masculinity of season two was a problem--not in and of itself, but in that it felt like an inorganic response to some of the criticisms of season one. Season one definitely had a masculinity problem, but that didn't detract from the show for me (in fact, it contributed to my enjoyment of it--I mean, those were two fucked up cops, for sure they're going to have issues). And then season two tried to address the critical complaints, but did so poorly and unconvincingly. It would have been better to go for broke and simply have two female detectives, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Pizzolatto feels uncomfortable writing an entire season of conversations between two women (not a knock on him, just an observation).

19. rms

rms Active Member

That feminist argument on season 1 is low-ball mortism

20. CiG

Masculinity problem referring to what exactly?