This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Good Television Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Satanstoenail, May 10, 2008.

1. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

Watched the second episode of TD season three, and now we know that...

season three is set in the same universe as season one. I've always wondered, but now it's official.

2. Jimmy... Dead.

Jimmy... Dead. contemplative curmudgeon

Mahershala Ali is so good he's making Stephen Dorff tolerable

3. rms

rms Active Member

Many internet detectives started to wonder if this connection means Season 1 and Season 3 could take place in the same universe. Executive producer Scott Stephens weighed in and clarified if this was the case or not.

"Not really," Stephens told THR. "I guess it's set in the same fictional world everything is set in, right? The reference is kind of a nod to the [first season]. The stuff in Season 1 was based on the same sort of pedophilia stories that are mentioned by the documentary crew. That's kind of the connective tissue. It's just a fun way to tie things in."

4. Blurry_Dreams

Blurry_Dreams Active Member

is there anything going on in any season that would make it impossible for season 1 or 3 to be taking place in the same universe as season 2??
    i'm legit seriously asking
    because up until this post, i had really just kinda assumed that all the seasons would have some sort of Easter-eggs where all the seasons would be unmistakably one-single-universe

keep in mind, however, i haven't actually watched any of the seasons all the way through

5. Einherjar86

I saw that. I always take comments like this with a grain of salt, for various reasons.

But my head-shaking reaction has to do with Stephens's hair-splitting of "universe" and "fictional world." When asked if season three takes places in the same universe as season one, Stephens replies "Not really. I guess it's set in the same fictional world everything is set in, right?"

If by "everything," he means everything to do with the all three seasons, then what's the difference? Universe = fictional world. That's what people are wondering. And he goes on to call it a "connective tissue" and that it's a "fun way to tie things in." He's being annoyingly coy about it. Just admit it; it's set in the same universe, or world, or reality... whatever you want to call it.

There's no logical reason for viewers to assume that all the TD seasons were set in the same fictional world, although it's certainly plausible. That's why it's a point of interest. Furthermore, making the connection between the dolls and the crooked spiral introduces a host of other formal questions: for example, is the mention of the crooked spiral a red herring presented to lead viewers off-track? Of course those involved in the show will avoid talking about the reference, because they don't want to give anything away.

And I realize that may have been an unnecessary "spoiler" in my previous post, but I figured maybe some people would want to figure it out for themselves. But it's not a spoiler about the narrative of season three.

6. Blurry_Dreams

@Einherjar86
    has there been any contradictions though??
    has there been any reason to think that they were taking place in separate universes??

7. Einherjar86

No, but by that logic there's also no reason to think that TD isn't set in the same universe as, for example, Se7en (I don't think there are any actors who would ruin the continuity in that movie). So just because there aren't any contradictions, that doesn't mean we can assume they're all set in the same world.

8. Blurry_Dreams

ehhh
    it's a series
    i really just thought it was just one-universe with time-jumps
    so this whole thing about whether-or-not season 1 and 3 are in the same universe really just came-out-of-left-field for me
    for me, it was just they were in the same universe until something contradicted that idea

9. rms

rms Active Member

Wow season 1 of big little lies...I can't believe you cites this show to show the other side of the female viewer :lol:

10. CiG

CiG Immense Thickening Vomit

Do men watching inordinate amounts of sports on television count as watching garbage?

Einherjar86 likes this.
  11. Einherjar86

I don't understand what this means. You needs to writes coherent sentence if wants dialogues.

12. rms

rms Active Member

You claimed that (smart) female viewers watch little big lies, a show centered around desperate housewife drama with the most obvious conclusion in recent memory, with a side storyline so much better executed by Jägten. If one cared about Kidman's story, might as well watch Elle or the Piano Teacher.

I have no idea how you thought this show would help your argument.

If you want it to, sure, but at least men watch good shows.

13. CiG

Not sure why rms thinks he's the arbiter of quality television, when he pissed his pants that time Vegard said that The Walking Dead is a show about how society arises out of the rubble of fallen society. That's the literal point of the show and you thought that was what, too analytic?

If you can't even handle someone reading that basic subtext into the show, how could you ever fairly judge the subtext of shows women watch and what they get out of them? It's a show about desperate wives hur dur. Okay Einstein.

14. Einherjar86

Um, because it's a good show. But your problem is that you think you're...

Your entire argument is premised on the assumption that you know "good" television from "bad" television. But you're actually one of the last people qualified to make any kind of aesthetic judgment beyond what you find imminently satisfying.

15. rms

rms Active Member

I remember saying that suggesting anything deep out of walking dead is a horrible show and to suggest anything other than zombie gore tv was overstepping anything intended , but welcome to refresh my memory

Hilarious that's considered a good show. Treats the viewer like an idiot, no redeeming themes. Lackluster storyline. Lame and expected twist

But you both support garbage frequently so I'm not surprised.

16. CiG

Yes that's the idiocy I remember. The show's point is obviously and quite blatantly about how a society arises from the ashes of a prior society. This is why the show puts so much emphasis on opposing camps, hierarchies based on competence and dominance, and so on. It's not a Troma splatter flick, its narrative is in the zombie tradition of Romero and if you think Romero's films were just about zombies you're a dunce.

I mean, after the zombies are established as a threat, they fade into the background and become fodder for the action, the real threats in the show are other people.

17. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

yo @rms get that lube out, because our neighborhood feminazi and aussi yobo are straight going to town on you man

CiG likes this.
  18. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

That would NOT make Good Television!

19. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

depends on who you ask. I'm pretty sure hamburgerboy is getting his pillows ready.

20. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Then I hope it's on pay for view.

TechnicalBarbarity likes this.