This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Good Television Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Satanstoenail, May 10, 2008.

1. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

I applaud it so heavily for putting front and center the issues that it did. I also thought its female characters were really strong, despite some faltering in the final season. I tend to overlook flaws if I'm enraptured by theme and concept; and although Mr. Robot definitely had some flaws, more often than not I found its formal and technical proficiency to be wonderful complements to its thematic concerns.

As far as other top favorites, right now those would be The Expanse and True Detective (season one). A few years ago it probably would have been Breaking Bad and The Americans, but a few things have happened in years since. Although the second and third seasons of TD are lackluster, subsequent viewing of season one enhance what I think is its narrative perfection. On top of that, it's a Lovecraftian horror story smuggled into mainstream television in the guise of a police procedural, and Pizzolatto even managed to magnify the epistemological anxieties that inform both genres. It's just formal perfection.

The Expanse is obviously ongoing, but I'm so impressed with what the writers have done and how they've managed to keep pace that it's ascended the ranks. I also think it's one of the most politically engaged, culturally diverse, and narratively robust (while still being accessible) shows around, and it's science fiction. Not the easiest combo to pull off. It's entirely possible that it could sink down on my list if future seasons take a shit.

I acknowledge the excellence of shows like Mad Men, Fargo, Better Call Saul, and plenty of others; but too many of these conform to what I think is, generally speaking, a middlebrow realism with flashes of absurdist surrealism (to varying degrees). Full-blown anti-realist narratives are difficult to do well onscreen, but when they succeed they tend to win me over.

There's a quote near the end of William Gibson's Neuromancer, when the eponymous AI says to Case, "Personality is my medium." I think Mr. Robot was an experiment in the artificiality, fluidity, and contingency of personality. In this sense, its title was perfect: not just the name of his alter-father personality, but a comment on the technicity of cognition. The revelation that Elliot was just another personality drove this home; it's turtles all the way down, personalities built on (or alongside) personalities.

I've never been a fan of relatability as a defining quality of good narrative, and I like it when stories undermine relatability in strategic ways. So in Mr. Robot, the conceptual question is: why shouldn't an artificial personality be relatable? Why do we hunger for real, authentic personalities, especially when an artificial personality has the experience of being real? I think the final shot of the show was sheer perfection in that it displaced the purportedly "real" Elliot onto us, the viewing audience. Everything we saw on TV, in the show, were only interfaces--screens playing constructed personalities. I do think it could be argued that the conclusion privileged a return, or resurfacing, of authenticity, the final access of authenticity, or something like that; but I also think it's crucial that the show never lets us see it (additionally, it's possible to make a quasi-Luddite reading of the conclusion--that the show is saying technology only ever allows access to mediated versions of one another--but I'd push beyond this and say that we're always only ever dealing with mediated versions of each other; "personality is our medium").

I agree with some of your comments about pacing in the final season, but the anti-realist, anti-authenticity drive won me over.

Vegard Pompey likes this.
  2. mutantllama

mutantllama Awesome custom title

New episode of Curb was fucking funny.

3. TechnicalBarbarity

TechnicalBarbarity -TheNightsBane-

some new funny commercials ...

CiG and Slammed like this.
  4. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

I like this superbowl ad.

TechnicalBarbarity likes this.
  5. TechnicalBarbarity

[​IMG]

Slammed likes this.
  6. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

Started watching Locke & Key (based on the Joe Hill comics), Mythic Quest and Avenue 5 recently

7. Anom@nder Rake

Anom@nder Rake lives on the internet

watched the first 2 seasons of Gotham and a few episodes of the 3rd season. I'm only watching this show because I wanted to watch something stupid / mildly entertaining while I read through my notes for an upcoming license exam I'm taking for my job. Season 1 is fucking terrible and basically Law & Order with some Batman universe names thrown around. Season 2 changed the tone of the show and it went super cheesy which works a lot better than the serious tone of the first season. Everything involving teenage Bruce and Selina is 100% cringe and hard to watch. Riddler and Hugo Strange are the best characters. I thought season 3 would be better but they brought back Will Smith's wife when she died in season 1 and her overacting is terrible. Hopefully she dies again

8. TechnicalBarbarity

i watch seasons 1, 2 and parts of 3 but i dont remember much outside of it being as far from the Batman universe/continuation as possible for a show named Gotham. They fucked with the lore/characters/stories wayyy too much. That being said season 2 was pretty cool from what i remember and Penguin is probably my favorite character of the series. Do you remember a scene where Oswald was meeting up with one of the mobsters(cant remember if it was falcone, marooni or that one other dude that worked with them) and got slapped up or something? Trying ti find it on youtube but to no avail.

9. Anom@nder Rake

Anom@nder Rake lives on the internet

10. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

I'm on season 3 of Gotham too. It's been my go-to lately whenever I want to watch something trashy. Hit and miss as fuck but I really like their take on some classic Batman characters, especially The Penguin who I've been unironically rooting for since pretty much the start.

11. TechnicalBarbarity

no its was some mobster dude Oswald and another dude(dont remember who) met up with, and they punked him pretty bad and he had a look o his face afterwards like "yeah, i'm going to kill your motherfuckers" . He wasnt big time yet att. It was a pretty damn good scene.