This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Official Movie Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Manic Ferocity, May 4, 2007.

1. CiG

CiG The Grand Calculation

I think the first Guardians was better, but I'd agree that his Thor was better than the Guardians sequel. Although there aren't any characters in Thor as funny as Drax imo, and Yondu is one of my favourite characters in the whole MCU. :lol:

I dunno, the whole thing is a mixed bag. Comedy comic book films just aren't really something I'm after.

That definitely helped. Cori Gonzalez-Macuer is probably the funniest character in that movie though if you ask me, and in so many ways he's the prototypical Waititi character. He himself basically played that character in the form of Korg in the Thor film lmao.

Edit: for me it can just be a bit fucking much for a whole ass movie.

2. CiG

This stuff I find to be way funnier and more effective, in terms of Gunn's style. Even though the film itself is inferior (my god the fucking pacing, The Irishman felt shorter).

3. CiG

‘The Many Saints of Newark': See Michael Gandolfini in ‘Sopranos’ Prequel First Look.

4. RadicalThrasher

RadicalThrasher Active Member

Double header tonight

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]
    Aka Get the Terrorists

Too obscure for a youtube trailer, here's alternate cover art
    [​IMG]
    Badass flick

CiG likes this.
  5. CiG

Watching:

1256979.jpg

Better late than never. Wish I could have seen this when we were doing the 2018 films lists though.

Incidentally I think I was right about this. Probably too conventional and lowbrow to impress many in here, but I legitimately enjoyed The Happytime Murders, didn't think it was a rip-off of Meet the Feebles (not really even close tbh, more like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? but for adults and with puppets) and McCarthy didn't bomb it. Probably one of the better comedies I've seen in the last few years.

#17105 CiG, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  6. Krow

Krow Garbage Connoisseur

The Lighthouse was really awesome. I went in thinking it was just going to be arthouse garbage. By the time shit went off the rails I was basically speechless.

Dafoe’s curse was absolutely maddening. Holy fuck what a magnificent freak out. I saw mermaid pussy for the first time. Tentacles everywhere. When Patterson saw Dafoe naked but his face was the lighthouse I said WHAT THE FUCK out loud.

my wife’s brother and his gf watched this with us. They went from poopooing the film to begin with to absolute silence at the end.

RadicalThrasher and CiG like this.
  7. CiG

Yorgos Lanthimos' The Favourite felt like the most conventional entry into his filmography. Visually his style was rich and in full effect, but the narrative, script and direction of the actors almost felt like a totally different director to me. Except perhaps the black comedy, that was still there and quite effective too.

For example
    the scene where Emma Stone beats off her new husband on their wedding night, with no eye contact or affection whatsoever, as she schemes and talks to herself. Then just wipes his cum on her nightdress and the scene ends. Abigail Masham might be one of the most effective social climber characters I think I've ever seen, and Emma herself was very impressive. I was expecting to not be able to get over my bias against her, but she won me over in the end.

2.jpg

There were many other great scenes, like Queen Anne (played amazingly by Olivia Colman) sucking on Rachel Weisz's entire fist the first time it's revealed they have a secret lesbian relationship, or when Queen Anne snubs Rachel for Emma Stone.

1.jpg

The madness of two attractive women clawing and fighting over an obese gout-ridden ailing queen with 17 pet rabbits, each representing a failed pregnancy, is a pretty ripe context for great cinema. Could have been better sure, could have been less conventional as his films usually are, but it's hard not to buy into the world, and the sets and outfits are breathtaking at times. The degree to which the aristocracy are boorish is itself endlessly amusing and repulsive.

challenge_everything likes this.
  8. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

NW

[​IMG]

CiG likes this.
  9. rms

rms Active Member

New Jay and silent Bob any good?

10. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

It's exactly what one comes to expect from this pair. If you liked previous Jay And Silent Bob efforts you'll like the silliness and stupidity of this one. They haven't reinvented anything, they haven't changed anything, other than Silent Bob no longer being a "fat ass", and the jokes are pretty much the same as they have always been.

Despite the well used jokes I reckon the writing was pretty good because they managed to pay homage to everything J&SB have ever done. They managed to pull lines from all the movies and even some of the cartoons and fit them into the current scenes. The references all the way back to Clerks were mostly done well but some were so openly silly they were funny. And I think Kevin Smith managed to cast pretty much everyone he knows and has worked with before, expect Shanon Doherty. There is some good 'family' jokes as Smith, Mewes and Smith's daughter bounce comments back and forth and there is plenty of faces in the crowd that may not be instantly recognisable.

rms and CiG like this.
  11. CiG

Watching:

once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-poster.jpg

12. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

13. challenge_everything

challenge_everything Active Member

14. CiG

So I'm sitting there roughly 2 hours in and thinking, this isn't offensively bad, but feels kinda boring, pointless and just not exciting.
    Then that finale happens and I sit straight up and start shouting yes yes! Best ending to a Tarantino film since... I can't even remember.

#17114 CiG, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  15. no country for old wainds

parasite got a best picture nom

16. Vegard Pompey

Vegard Pompey ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU

Is it unusual for foreign films to get a best picture nom? I don't really pay attention to that kind of stuff. I'm going to see that movie again tomorrow, while it's still in theaters here.

I saw Joker got a ton of noms. I liked that movie but the main thing that stuck with me about it is how much it didn't. I've read essays by critics on different ends of the political spectrum and the more I read different takes on it the more I feel that it handled incendiary subject matter in the least offensive way it could. I don't think it's a bad movie or anything; Phoenix is an incredible joker and the talk show scene is killer. But I'm shocked to see it having the kind of cultural breakthrough that it is. I mean, it's such a roaring financial success that it will surely change the way the film industry sees comic book movies, and masks inspired by the film are turning up in the Hong Kong protests and elsewhere.

17. no country for old wainds

it's the first one he didn't write himself so that's probably why. definitely feels like a lot of push/pull between lanthimos and something more conventional, but while they don't mesh properly what's surprising to me is how good the conventional stuff is. never would've guessed lanthimos could do that kind of thing this well.

only the 6th to get a nomination this century, out of roughly 150, so it's fairly rare. also only the second asian movie ever after crouching tiger.

totally agree on joker, i like it mostly 'cause it's good at ripping off other good movies, but its lack of commitment to any real perspective is its biggest problem. kinda feel like you're overselling its historical importance a bit though, i think it's been profitable relative to budget iirc but it's not even one of the top 3 highest grossing comic book movies of 2019, and the film industry has considered comic book movies the most lucrative thing possible for several years now. the merch stuff is just kinda Why So Serious all over again with some v for vendetta rebellion sprinkled on top. it's obviously a fairly major cultural phenomenon but i don't feel it's had anything like the bombshell impact the dark knight or the avengers movies have had.

Vegard Pompey and CiG like this.
  18. CiG

Pretty sure its historical importance relates to its rating no?

19. no country for old wainds

yeah i guess that's a big deal. the deadpool movies have made a mint with a similar rating, but not quite as much.

20. challenge_everything

challenge_everything Active Member

Really? I mean, I love a bit of gratuitous revenge violence as much as the next guy, but I thought it was a cheap payoff to fanboys, was basically a rehash of the Inglorious Basterds idea and had little connection to the rest of the movie.