This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

the official Woods of Ypres thread

Discussion in 'RC' started by Black Winter Day, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Reign in Acai

Reign in Acai Gnats before thy gums

So the band isn't breaking up after all?!?!

David I. Ypres WOODS OF YPRES quit/ended/broke up: totally false. It never really happened. WOODS OF YPRES signed to Earache Records: true. Earache will release W5, we will tour...we've already started initial work and planning for a W6. There will be LOTS more! I am still in the desert: True (for now). More news soon! DG

WOODS OF YPRES founder / frontman David Gold has posted two tracks from his new side-project, THE NORTHERN ONTARIO BLACK METAL PRESERVATION SOCIETY. The two tracks are from the debut vinyl release entitled Future Northern Prosperity.

Both songs were performed by Gold and former Woods Of Ypres bassist Aaron Palmer (Against The Seasons). The first track was penned by Gold, the second by Palmer; they play drums on each other's work. Both tracks are intended to be listened to through ipods midst midnight fixed gear bike rides through the industrial sectors of town.

I can't even be arsed to listen to this shit, somebody tell me how it is*.

*Don't bother.

#61 Reign in Acai, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. einride

einride friendly pal with a smile

[​IMG]

3. einride

oh and btw it sucks

4. En Vind Av Sorg

Yea, weak. I had some fleeting thought it might be cool since it was one of the guys from the "against the seasons" era. nope.

5. EricT

EricT Don't you ever get...

Translation: Holy fuck we're self-absorbed pretentious cunts, now buy our shit.

That whole schtick lost me from even giving the band another chance with w5. It's WITTR all over again.

6. Ellestin

Ellestin one-click buy

except maybe WITTR are still releasing good music and WOY are not

7. Reign in Acai

Aye. Black Cascade is a respectable output, whereas The Green Album is an abortion to the senses. I don't want to slag DG too much, as he was a really affable fellow when I made his acquaintance, however these e-publicity stunts and artsy hipster photo shoots, just reek of an attention whore seeking popularity. Perhaps the WotA lads were right about this midnight rider?

8. WhiteBeastofWotan

WhiteBeastofWotan Apostitutes!

LOL, have you guys seen his new band "The Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society"? Yes, that is the name of the band.

David Gold ist krieg.
    [​IMG]

Pretty ridiculous.

9. Ellestin

Ellestin one-click buy

Treebeard looked better as CGI

10. Reign in Acai

Those NOBMPMS tracks are better than this shit though. When I first set my ears on the Green Album I thought it was some elaborate internet hoax.

I said, "What about this, what about that? She said, "What about this, what about that?" I said, "What the hell is this? What the hell is that?"

#70 Reign in Acai, Oct 19, 2010
  11. Dick Sirloin

Dick Sirloin please... stay safe

Holy donkeyfuck that's some bad music. Worse than the worst Tiamat offenses, even. This is so painful that I've got to hear the rest. Shame. DG seems like an ace guy (sent me a nice note and such when I ordered the demo). Also, it's hard to believe I started this thread almost seven fucking years ago.

#71 Dick Sirloin, Oct 19, 2010
  12. lurch70

lurch70 Member

hahaha, this is pretty memorable at least.
    not familiar with this bands prior stuff but I heard worse tree hugging music.

it almost sounds like they are trying to capitalize on the demise of TON somehow ... it reminds me a bit of them but with stupid lyrics.

13. Dick Sirloin

Dick Sirloin please... stay safe

Dude, this is way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way worse than Type O Negative.

14. lurch70

lurch70 Member

but really I can see this stuff selling ... with Earache's distribution they will be rockstars and eating cheesteaks at Pat's in no time.

15. Demilich

Demilich Member

Dave's been a huge Type O and Amorphis fan for a loooong time, so those types of influences don't surprise me. I can't stomach this band post-Pursuing the Sun at all, and those NOBMPS tracks were certainly some kinda BS... trying THAT hard to sound like Against the Seasons and still fucking it up with bits that are straight outta Woods 3-4. Ah well. Dave's always been good to me, and always handled criticism in an honorable way. Nothing against the guy personally.

16. Reign in Acai

The third one grew on me in a poppy sort of way, it's pretty upbeat & feel good. Don't know if that's what he was going for? The lyrics are very inconsistent and even laughable at times, "black metal warrior"? But, it's not devoid of merit.

17. Demilich

Demilich Member

I used to listen to it from time to time, yeah, but its never gonna keep me coming back. Pursuit of the Sun has a place in my rotation every year as the leaves start to turn. There are some great songs on that disc. Shedding the Deadwood will never get old, loved it since the pre-album version was posted in this thread.

The live lineup back then put on a very solid show, as I'm sure you and Mike remember! I still say they were at their best with Dave on drums in the earlier lineups.

18. einride

you know, i always praise honesty as being possibly the most important aspect in music and art in general, but recent woods of ypres is proof positive that honesty just isn't enough to make something worthwhile

it's straight up, but it's straight up stupid and bad

19. Vittra

Vittra Member

They were, no doubt about it.. and we never even saw the original windsor lineup.

20. Reign in Acai

The first track is heh, better than the last album by the simple fact that I didn't yak like Charlie Day after swallowing a bottle of blood caps. Pretty generic, listening to the second track now... heh splurt, splork, who gives a shit anymore?

#80 Reign in Acai, Sep 17, 2011