This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The thread of joy and enjoyment!

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by mutantllama, May 1, 2008.

1. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

Just found out I've been paying WAY too much for my grad student health insurance, since apparently when I took up my TAship, the insurance rates weren't switched automatically and nobody told me about it till recently. The best part is that I'll be credited all the extra money I've paid.

So glad I'm getting all this money back, since I just spent most of my tax return today on a $1,000 car repair. Routine maintenance adds up when you've got over 160,000 miles on the thing.

2. Funerary_Doom

Funerary_Doom My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Ha, well you're mostly right. I do have one small student loan to pay back.

I'm actually not at all familiar with tax things at all. I never filed before now since most of my jobs were often off the books. :lol:
    My thinking was similar to Mathias and zabu of no god. I had three jobs last year (two were off book so they don't count) and still getting back a lot, so idk if it was due to the tax guy or what.

3. Carpe Mortem

Carpe Mortem Benevolently Batshit

The spring on my front right tire came lose and shredded said tire this morning on the way to class... so I call my insurance company, they send a guy, he can't put the spare on because it's an aftermarket rim with no key. Joy and enjoyment though, nice guy and he tows me to Discount Tire, where they put a tire on it for free that should be short enough not to get stabbed by my faulty spring if I take it easy. Saved using my spare, and they gave me a key for it in case I get another flat. Overall I didn't spend a dime today.

More joy and enjoyment, making my first foray into loans. I've gotten by in life so far with no credit, no loans, but life demands a sacrifice. I find out tomorrow how much they'll approve me for with the 800 or so I can afford to put down, without a co-signer. Hopefully be driving a less defective car soon enough so I can pick up jobs further than three miles away.

I will be sacrificing a goat to the metal gods tonight.

4. Cronopio

Cronopio Glorious Imperator

Doing your taxes is really easy in Sweden, provided you earn jack shit. Just put your (digital) signature there and presto.

5. The Butt

The Butt Unholy gas, flares from my ass

Doing taxes costs like 40 bucks where I live.

6. Cronopio

Cronopio Glorious Imperator

You gotta pay?

7. The Butt

Depending on where you go, yes. Its free in some spots in Ontario. But id rather pay 40 bones than pay 40+ on a taxi and back to do them for free.

8. Zephyrus

Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Banhammer came down upon romanticism's head.

Carry on.

9. damnromulans

damnromulans Klingons do not faint

10. Zephyrus

Toward the end it seemed a deliberate effort to go out with a ban(g). I simply pass on the reported posts to the man upstairs.

11. Vimana

Vimana Member

I recently started avoiding stupid distractions and loops (like constantly checking forums, reddit, my phone, etc.) and doing mindfulness stuff more and I feel SO MUCH BETTER. FUCK. I love the feeling of being so immersed in something that when I finish, I'm like, "oh yeah, there's more to life."

12. Nephilim96

Nephilim96 Member

What kind of stuff have you been doing? I really need to start doing more "mindfulness" stuff too.

13. The Butt

Praise be Zephyrus.

14. Vimana

Vimana Member

Pretty much everything I do, honestly. If I dance, listen to music, work out, etc. I focus only on that and take in as much as I can about what I'm doing through the senses. I also avoid checking my phone, forums, Facebook, etc. until after I've finished doing something for a while.

Whenever I fail to be mindful, I don't reprimand myself or remind myself to be mindful since knowing I'm failing is enough. I also don't try to shut out unpleasant things but just go through them. It's a long process, but it gets easier the more I do it. Eventually I find that a lot of my thoughts are pretty redundant and it frees up time to enjoy lots of other things.

It's almost like my mind is a hand and it's been wearing a latex glove my entire life and I'm taking it off.

15. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 True Doom

I don't know what happened to Lateralus. He went from a fairly normal poster who liked Tool, to some gigantic cockmonger with a fetish for Beethoven and hating on "child fuckers."

16. blacktape

blacktape Member

I'd like to stuff that PITA with delicious things

17. Vimana

Vimana Member

I quit weed for what I'm pretty sure is the last time and I feel fucking great! I smoked every day for like three weeks or so, then just woke up one morning and realized that I prefer being sober to being high and just said "fuck it." Now that the withdrawal is over, I feel so damn good. I wonder how much more things will improve. It's only been a few days.

18. UltimateApathy

UltimateApathy Infinite Idiocy

Wait a couple more days until you realise how shitty the "sober world" is and realize what a fucktard this post makes you look like... :tickled:

19. Vimana

Vimana Member

I disagree. Before I started smoking every day, I felt amazing sober, but then I found I had some emotional issues to work through and I used weed to dull those down. But then after I worked through them, all weed really made me feel was sluggish, stupid, and forgetful.

It's not for everyone. I have a friend who smokes it and just becomes chill. Whenever I smoke it, I get lazy and the other bad things above.

20. The Ozzman

The Ozzman Melted by feels

Moving tomorrow. I will have a roommate for the first time since college. I am excite!