This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The travel thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by StephenSLR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Anyone been to Mexico or New Orleans?

2. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

New Orleans is supposed to be wicked, its on my list of places to visit for sure! Just as soon as I get a long weekend I can take advantage of :D

3. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I hear that too. I was preparing myself for another Mustang tour titled Florida & the Deep South in which you get to drive through a few states in that region and included an optional cruise to the Western Caribbean but unfortunately there weren't enough numbers. :(

s

4. Winmar

That'd be sweet. I'm hoping to get there if I can. Will see how things pan out. Do you like the south?

It's a long way to go for a weekend, Falkor!

5. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Spent the last week in Ireland. I gotta say its different.

A lot more laid back than I first thought. Everyone drinks, no matter what time of day, children seem to be having children and aside from the current finical crisis over here everyone seems to be in good spirits. I saw a caravan of pikeys which I was quite chuffed about. lol

Some of businesses have closed down due to poor sales, but it doesn't seem that bad. I've spent the last couple of days in a small town called Kildare which is roughly an hour from Dublin. I visited Dublin for a day but its honestly not my kind of city. I think the weather was to blame though.

I also took a trip to Wexford which is roughly 2 hours south east of Dublin. It's a small beach town which has a good night life. Beer is cheap, food is cheap and living here is just cheap all round.

I leave tomorrow morning for Munich, Germany which I'm very much looking forward too. I've recently come down with a sore throat and stuffy nose so I guess I'll be pretty average when I go to Summer Breeze.

6. Winmar

I didn't know you were over there. I went to Wexford once by bike. Met an Indonesian in a pub there and the barman could speak basic Indonesian as well, both of which were surprising.

Kids having kids - so it's not just England then!

7. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

Just gotta time it right :)

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Counting down the days until 70,000 Tons 2012 :D

Planning to fly to LA on Jan 20, stay for 2 nights (in order to go see the Nightwish Imaginarium concert on the 21st), then fly to Miami on the Sunday for the cruise the following day.

Then hop off the boat on Friday morning, bit of shopping in Miami before heading back to Oz that night.

The lineup is looking okay so far: http://70000tons.com/artists.htm

Nowhere near as epically-awesome as the maiden voyage though: http://70000tons.com/artists_2011.htm

So far only Eluveitie and Nightwish are 'awesome' for me. Will definitely check out Grave Digger, Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Therion and Tristania though.

Hoping a few of the bands on my wishlist (like Kamelot, Edguy, Accept, Helloween, Van Canto) get added too :)

9. Mean Bitch

Mean Bitch and her name was...

I never ended up booking my Cruise tickets, not too disapointed though, I just booked my Wacken and Headbangers open air tickets for 2012 :D
    I cant have everything! lol

10. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I want to see Grave Digger, but I couldn't be bothered going on the cruise to be honest.

Really hoping thye do a bit of a US tour as well, i'm not sure if they are allowed to or whatever though.

They played once before in NYC. Fingers crossed I guess. I am seeing Kamelot in about 2 weeks though. With Alestorm supporting no less! :D

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

NICE!!! And there is always the next year :)

Or, the Barge To Hell:

http://www.bargetohell.com/

70000 Tons is well on the way to selling out - only a few cabin types remaining.

One of the attendees from this year bumped into the organiser, Andy, at Hellfest recently. And apparently he said he has some even bigger names lined up than this year. But he's leaving announcing them until it sells off, to piss off the doubters and naysayers :p hehehehe

12. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

Is Fabio still doing vocals?

I'm booked in for Europe 2012. Not sure if I'll go to Sweden Rock or Wacken (I can't do both) - have to see how the lineup is for both in the coming months. Although Gamma Ray and Hammerfall as initial Wacken announcements will probably set me on the path to Wacken :)

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

Depends what you are after in a festival really - Wacken is HUUUGE (haven't been myself though)

Sweden Rock a little smaller - I think its about half the size? I went in 2004 and had a blast there. Great people, great venue, great weather.

I'm probably generalising a touch, but SR seems to have a greater focus on the lighter rockier stuff, it is Sweden ROCK after all haha. This year's lineup for example had Buckcherry, Dan Reed, FM, Mr Big, Jason & The Scorchers, The Hooters, Styx, Lee Aaron, Kansas, Molly Hatcher, Hawkwind, Walter Trout, and also a big focus on 'older' bands (eg Queensryche, The Cult, Priest, Joan Jett, Accept, Saxon, Whitesnake, Stryper, Thin Lizzy).

Of the two festivals, without seeing a lineup for either, I'd initally lean toward Sweden Rock. Partly because I'm an old fogey who loves the mix of old and new, and partly because of the 'smaller' nature of the festival.

14. Robotman

Robotman Gun Kata

I've been to Wacken three times - first time back in 1999. :) Was last there in 2007. It's more for my g/f who hasn't been to Wacken before. But that won't really be the centrepiece, I'm aiming for smaller festivals in and around July from the north to the south of Europe. Wherever the road takes us. Big festivals are becoming.... less interesting (but still a great experience). I'm aiming to see some smaller festivals with the B and C grade bands that don't usually get a look in at the bigger festivals.

That said, also looking at Metalcamp as I haven't done that one yet.

15. Bucko

Bucko Member

hmmm when I get my Long Service up in the Public Service me thinks thats what I might do hit the European Festivals , youngest boy will be 18 then he'll be able to come too if he wants lol.... only down side i'll be 50 +

16. cowboy

cowboy Member

Never too old to rock n roll bucko ;)

\m/

17. Bucko

Bucko Member

hahha thats what I tell my self ....

18. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

The best one in my opinion, you just can't beat the location.

s

19. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

@ Winmar

Wexford wasn't bad, but again the weather played a big role in how I felt when I traveled Ireland. If I was given the chance to go to Ireland again, I'd most likely decline. Its a lovely country, but its not really my cup of tea.

Yes, the abundance of young pregnancy's is quite shocking. There very easy to spot though. They all seem to wear complete bright fluoro tracksuits and have either two or three children attached to them with another one or two in a pram beside them.

Manowar are playing next year, so all the more reason to go. I'm thinking of going to Metal Camp as well.

I think Metal Camp, Wacken, Party Sans, Summer Breeze, Handbangers Open Air and perhaps a small festival or two will suffice next year.

May as well do it big as I wont be traveling for sometime after that.

20. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

That's the way to go. I did Europe two ways, the first time with a Eurail pass which was pretty good but the second time was much better. We got an around the world ticket which gave us up to 15 stops as long as you go in one direction, that way we also got to do N.Y. and L.A. on the way back. Flying was just so much more efficient.

So far I've been having a big O.S. trip every 4 years...making up for a misspent youth. I imagine it also would've been a lot more fun to do at a younger age.

s