This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The travel thread

Discussion in 'LORD' started by StephenSLR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Hahaha - that's the was Stephen!! My first O/S trip was relatively late in life too. Did 6 weeks in Europe in 2004 at the ripe old age of 33.

Since then I did USA earlier this year, doing US again next year for 70,000 Tons, then probably in 3 or 4 years after that will do a big Europe trip again.

2. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I think that's what I'll do. I mean most of my time will be spent in Europe, but I would like to go to LA on the last leg of my tour. Perhaps stay 3 nights in LA and 4 nights in NY or vise versa.

The festivals I do want to do in Europe next year will include Headbangers Fest, Wacken, Metal Camp, Party Sans, Summer Breeze and perhaps a small festival or two depending on how much it will cost me all up. I'm going to be orgnasing some festivals with Gary, so once I know what we will be doing I can then organise going to America straight after Europe. I have friends in NY so I could probably stay for a bit longer in America as I wont have to worry to much about accommodation.

I'm hoping our dollar still kicks ass next year. I'm sure it will since America is in debt up to its anus. I'm even tempted to do 70,000 tons of metal at the start of next year. They already have HammerFall and Grave Digger booked, so everything else will be a bonus. :) But, the only cabins left are $1299 and up.

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

Anwar, if you are willing to share with someone else there are always people on the forums of the official 70000 Tons website who are looking for people to fill their cabins.

As I've said before it was an amazing experience this year - loved the fact that if no-one was playing that interested me, I could go back to the cabin and have a quick nap in a comfy bed :D

The lineup currently is not a patch on this year's - Tyr, Epica, Sabaton, Amon Amarth, Finntroll, Guardian, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, etc.

But the organiser has stated he has some even bigger names lineup up to announce once its sold out, just to piss off the doubters :D

Alestorm and Kamelot are both rumoured to be among the names still to announce - that would make me very happy.

And value-wise its actually pretty good, when you consider you get to see 40 bands play twice and have your accommodation and 5 days of food paid for too.

But yeah, if you have any questions about it just let me know.

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

That could be very risky, you could end up with someone who snores like a chainsaw. :lol:

The travel for an around the world ticket is in one direction basically, so if you're coming from Europe you'll have to do N.Y. before L.A.

We planed it to Venice, caught a ferry to Rovinj (Croatia) made our way by bus/train to Trieste & Ljubljana. Plane to Vienna, ferry to Bratislava, plane to Prague, Amsterdam & Hamburg.

We hired a car for Wacken, should've also done that for Metalcamp. Make sure you book a carspace, I think you may need a certain number of people though, we somehow got into the V.I.P. section closer to the stage.

Caught the plane to Gothenburg, Oslo, N.Y. and L.A.

We left Oslo at 8 a.m. got to N.Y. only had one night so left our bags at the airport lockers, went clubbing the whole night then left the club to go back to the airport, there was such a massive queue and we just missed the plane to L.A. so had to wait something like 5 hours.

It wasn't that bad due to crossing time zones, so we made up the lost time you could say. When we got to L.A. the room at the backpackers wasn't ready so had to wait half an hour or so. Probably wouldn't have been so good if we'd got there earlier, sleep deprived and waiting in the L.A. heat for 5 hours

Travelling or should I say fatigue can stretch friendships. :lol: A friend and I had a massive argument on the train at NY ~ 4 a.m., it was pretty funny, one NY'er burst out laughing at the way we were carrying on.

s

5. cowboy

cowboy Member

True, but as gigs on the ship run from 10am through to 4am, with plenty of other things going 24 hours (ie - drinking!), a lot of people spent bugger-all time in their cabins this year :D

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

The other thing Anwar, if you are serious about trying to get hold of a press pass for the event, either sign on to the official forums and contact "andy", or send an email via the 70000 Tons website.

Either way you are sure to get a response fairly promptly.

7. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

I've gotta ask an honest question, does that boat get really super damn messy?

I've seen metal heads drinking, I can only imagine it turns into a horrible drunken messy place :/

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

No, actually everyone seemed super respectful about litter. Also there was a lot of crew always busily working to ensure things were cleaned up litter-wise.

Mind you, you did have to step over or around the odd drunk metalhead passed out in the hallways :D

9. black_tooth_grin

Me going to 70,000 Tons of Metal may become a reality. I just got word back about obtaining a press/photo pass and they said I can get a 20% discount off the entire price of the ticket of either a single, double or interior room. I'm going to see how much airline and hostel prices are before committing. I should be fine as our dollar is kick ass at the moment.

If anyone wants to join me you'll get a 20% discount off the price of the ticket, plus access to the VIP area and so forth.

If you're keen just shoot me an e-mail: anwar@metalobsession.net

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

Nice work Anwar!!!!!

Stuey and I are definitely going, and my wife should hopefully be going too provided we can bribe her parents to look after the kids for a week :)

Gonna be a blast - VIRGIN STEELE and CANNIBAL CORPSE have been added to the lineup in the last couple of days too.

11. black_tooth_grin

Do you want to share a room me with? We can all get the discount on the ticket price if you haven't already got a ticket, plus you'll be entitled to VIP benefits.

I'm dying to see HammerFall and Grave Digger again. I checked ticket prices before and I found flights departing Melbourne to LA from $1340. That's probably the cheapest and best deal I've found so far. If I can get someone to share the ticket price with I'll be going no questions asked. :)

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

Sorry brother, Luelle and I are already fully paid up.

I'm sure you will be able to find someone else though - especially with the calibre of artists getting added of late. OVERKILL added today - going with a New York theme to the thrash attack this cruise (2011 was Bay Area).

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

And just bought my wife and I tickets to see the Nightwish Imaginaerum gig in LA on the 21st of January!!

Counting that, and seeing them twice on 70,000 Tons of Metal a couple of days later, will make 11 times I'll have seen them live. 6 with Tarja, 5 with Anette.

Easily the most times I've seen any international band live :p

14. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Excellent!

15. cowboy

cowboy Member

Hey anwar, Amorphis just announced on Facebook that over 90% of tickets for 70,000 Tons of Metal have already been sold so don't leave it too long before deciding!!

I have no doubt that Andy, the organiser of 70,000 Tons, will unleash some killer announcements once its all sold out. He's a bit of bastard (in a nice way :p)

16. black_tooth_grin

I'm still deciding on going at the moment. Just organising my finances and flights. Flights are the only downside to the trip...a little to expensive at the moment. :p

17. cowboy

cowboy Member

UNDER 100 DAYS UNTIL 70000 TONS OF METAL!!!

Alestorm and Children of Bodom got added to the lineup this weekend - its looking excellent already with still another dozen bands to be added:

www.70000tons.com

18. black_tooth_grin

I think I'll pass on 70,000 tons next year. I'd love to go, but for the amount I'll be paying I may as well go to Europe and see those bands a couple of times over a month. I think 2013 will be my year for 70,000 tons of metal.

19. cowboy

cowboy Member

Whatever works for you ;)

Different story for us - this way we see them a couple of times over the space of the week, so don't have to leave the kids at home for too long.

The lineup is epic for me, and when you include the fact that we'll be seeing Amorphis and Nightwish in L.A. on the Saturday night before heading down to the cruise, well its just gonna be mindblowingly awesomesauce.

20. KoichCPA

KoichCPA Banned

So we're thinking of doing Finland in November next year. The Aurora is on the tick off list. Plus, there's snow and epic fishing, so that's the other pre-requisites of our holiday destinations.

I'm guessing a few people here have done, what else is there to do?

We'll kind of have a crack at anything once.